British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK is not that bad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-not-bad-339827/)

Vash the Stampede Nov 28th 2005 3:14 am

Re: UK is not that bad

Originally Posted by Auspom
Well said Vash,took the words right out of my mouth

Thanks mate; karma sent. :)

it_hooker Nov 28th 2005 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
I totally agree with everyone else - it's a very personal decision and if you're not happy, then head back to the UK and the circle of friends you clearly miss so much. However I really must take issue when you say things like "much more acceptance of alcohol in teenagers here - also they have a much greater drug culture".

Not sure if you made a mistake in your post and actually emigrated in 1954, not 2004, but there are massive problems with alcohol and teenagers in the UK and drugs are so mainstream and prevelant that the 'softer' varieties, such as cannabis, grass or ecstacy are seen as perfectly normal additions to a weekend on the beer.

My local comp. has decided to "turn a blind eye" if they smell cannabis being smoked in the toilets - apparently they have enough to deal with without adding to it!

Hutch Nov 28th 2005 3:23 am

Originally Posted by it_hooker
My local comp. has decided to "turn a blind eye" if they smell cannabis being smoked in the toilets - apparently they have enough to deal with without adding to it!

Yep - it's certainly not unusual. It's funny - I just visited Googlenews and one story leapt out at me due to the OP's comments about drink and drugs. I've included links to all the major papers so you can read with your preferred political stance on it - The Independent - The Guardian - The Sun - The Daily Mail and United International Press.

:rolleyes:

woogle Nov 28th 2005 3:23 am

Originally Posted by it_hooker

Our local one has the toilets closed nearly all day & only opened when it can have 2 members of staff in to supervise.

Lewis Lapthorn Nov 28th 2005 3:28 am

Originally Posted by lucky
Australia is a great place - open, outdoor life and in many respects wonderful.

My story is that I emigrated to melbourne in Apr 2004 - got lucky - a good job paying almost 70% of what I got in UK and very good by local standards - kids got into school.

That said - I am in the process of returning to UK without a job etc. You may wonder why. In no particular order:

- Really miss my friends/family - it takes time to make friends and I have made them but sadly I prefer my friends back home - they have the same sense of humour and common interest. You just need to watch an episode of Merrick and Rosso and you realise how poor Aussie humor really is.

- The beach is fine - but unless you like spending all day in the sun - it can be nice to look at and swim but after a couple of hours - i need something more.

- it is really too far away - having just come back from a holiday in UK - i realised that friends are not really keen to come all the way to Aus - the fact that it takes approx 2 days getting here and then another couple of days with jet lag - people will not really take the trouble of visiting as it is pretty hard to get 4 weeks leave - and that is what you need come this far.

- there seems to be much more acceptance of alcohol in teenagers here - also they have a much greater drug culture. If in doubt - ask yourself what is the equivalent of the "Schoolies week" in UK and you find there isnt one. For the unitiated - schoolies week is after kids finish their high school - they all seem to go on a week long bender. I have kids and have concluded that UK is probably better as there is less exposure to alchohol and soft/hard drugs.

- property prices here are ridiculous when compared to the salary levels- average salaries are approx $50-70k - but houses in decent areas cost upwards of $500k.

The only reason I am writing this is to advise others that be careful what you wish for - you may not always want what you wish for. I visitied Australia a few times and each time - it looked great - but living here is different. So my advice to anyone coming:

- do not sell your home - rent it out for at least a couple of years so that you really get to know what Aus is like - otherwise you will find that you may be unable to return

- people say give it time - I felt like returning after 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 18 months so after a bit of time - you think if unhappy - it is better to bite the bullet and return - and have a happy life rather than feel obligated to stick it out - it may sound morbid - but since I do not know how much longer I am going to live for ( am 42) - i have decided that life is too precious to waste on sticking out a place that whilst nice - is not home and does not ever appear to be like home.

- it might be great to have warm weather - but when it get hot here - it is very uncomfortable - at least with the cold you can wrap up. when it gets hot - you just feel lethargic and drained.

- wildlife - insects/spiders - are not only in the wild - i have killed countless spiders in the house and I keep the place spotless.

Good luck with whatever decision you make - but before you leave your friends and family - think really hard as you might well find that they are irreplaceable!!!

Interesting what you say about the Aussie sence of humour. Completely agree with you.

If I hadn't brought my videos of Only Fools & Horses, and couldn't have phoned my mates for a laugh - would have gone spare.

We made good friends, but they were never completely on the same level humour wise.

Breezey Nov 28th 2005 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
Interesting what you say about the Aussie sence of humour. Completely agree with you.

If I hadn't brought my videos of Only Fools & Horses, and couldn't have phoned my mates for a laugh - would have gone spare.

We made good friends, but they were never completely on the same level humour wise.

I find Aussie humour simply hilarious, and English humour tame and immature.

lacey21 Nov 28th 2005 3:32 am

good luck with what ever you do in your life, I hope evrything works out great for you.

hugs Lace x

Lewis Lapthorn Nov 28th 2005 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Breezey

That's because you're either Australian or don't have one.

Vash the Stampede Nov 28th 2005 3:38 am

The Aussie sense of humour is inherited directly from the UK sense of humour and is therefore virtually identical.

I honestly can't understand anyone who thinks that they're somehow poles apart. :confused:

DunRoaminTheUK Nov 28th 2005 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The Aussie sense of humour is inherited directly from the UK sense of humour and is therefore virtually identical.

I honestly can't understand anyone who thinks that they're somehow poles apart. :confused:

When I was a wee-nipper I thought Paul Hogan was the funniest man on the box. Do you remember the sketch with his sidekick who constantly wore the beanie-cum-lifesavers hat?

And then, there is "Prisoner Cell Block H"...."Good on yer Dawww!!"...

Auspom Nov 28th 2005 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Breezey

Spot on Brez,i find it hard living in uk with aussie humour cause no one understands it.

Auspom Nov 28th 2005 3:45 am

It mite have come direct from london, but it got lost on the way back there.haha

Breezey Nov 28th 2005 3:46 am

:confused:

If the truth be told that probably applies to EVERYTHING! The humour is a tad different but.

Vash the Stampede Nov 28th 2005 3:46 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
When I was a wee-nipper I thought Paul Hogan was the funniest man on the box. Do you remember the sketch with his sidekick who constantly wore the beanie-cum-lifesavers hat?

And then, there is "Prisoner Cell Block H"...."Good on yer Dawww!!"...

LOL, good grief yes! :D

lacey21 Nov 28th 2005 3:47 am

Gees i like your proverb Vash

that is so true

hugs Lace x
hey karma for you man