Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Mobile phones

UK Mobile phones

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of
Default UK Mobile phones

Hi just wondering if it is worth getting a pay as you go mobile phone before we go to Oz. Or is it better to wait until we get there.

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:42 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Mobile phones

Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Hi just wondering if it is worth getting a pay as you go mobile phone before we go to Oz. Or is it better to wait until we get there.

Thanks
Why don't you just unlock your current phone? Assuming it's quad band
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:55 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Doent need to be quad band - triband will do.
I would take one - I think theyre a bit pricey here but in 6 months since Ive been here they have got noticeably cheaper. If you take one make very sure it is unlocked (not restricted to only Orange for example)
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

in my opinion i would buy in the UK. We bought ours in the UK apart from my son's and he won't let me forget it! They are more expensive here and older models. Also you may find it hard to get a contract phone here as you don't have a credit rating. We got Vodaphone mobiles in the UK and stuck with Vodaphone here as they have good coverage.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:08 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Malcs66
in my opinion i would buy in the UK. We bought ours in the UK apart from my son's and he won't let me forget it! They are more expensive here and older models. Also you may find it hard to get a contract phone here as you don't have a credit rating. We got Vodaphone mobiles in the UK and stuck with Vodaphone here as they have good coverage.
I would buy one in Singapore during stopover or at Sin airport, or wherever you stop, much cheaper than anywhere.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of

Thanks guys for your advice, I currently have a good mobile phone my contract is about to end, so I will go and ask them if they can unlock it for me.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:50 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

do it yourself you can get codes on internet

Last edited by ozzieclare2b; Feb 22nd 2008 at 2:02 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Or guys at your local market will do it for few quid!

Optus only charge 30 cents/min to ring Uk - so you can have ten mins for only $3 - worth doing initially until you get sorted with a proper cheap deal!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Thanks guys for your advice, I currently have a good mobile phone my contract is about to end, so I will go and ask them if they can unlock it for me.
I've had a couple of DS' hand me downs unlocked by "a little man in the market" - very cheap. However, when you get here you will still need to call the company you sign up with for their settings for internet and email etc. And your phone will still be branded with the company you signed with in UK. It doesnt make it unusable but it will need setting up to be fully functional.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:11 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Doent need to be quad band - triband will do.
I would take one - I think theyre a bit pricey here but in 6 months since Ive been here they have got noticeably cheaper. If you take one make very sure it is unlocked (not restricted to only Orange for example)
doesn't need to be tri band as aus operates on gsm 900 and 1800 excactly the same as uk so any phone will do as they are all dual band at least nowadays even an antique that is only single band would work dependant on network
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:17 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I've had a couple of DS' hand me downs unlocked by "a little man in the market" - very cheap. However, when you get here you will still need to call the company you sign up with for their settings for internet and email etc. And your phone will still be branded with the company you signed with in UK. It doesnt make it unusable but it will need setting up to be fully functional.
I had vodafone UK
I bought a cheap vodafone pay as you go sim and used that no hassle until I find a package with telstra I like as they have much better coverage if you travel a bit