Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk mobile phone in Oz?

Uk mobile phone in Oz?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice
Default Uk mobile phone in Oz?

has anyone been able to take their uk phone and simply get an australian sim card?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:01 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk mobile phone in Oz?

Originally Posted by LisaT
has anyone been able to take their uk phone and simply get an australian sim card?
you have to get it unlocked
i`m using my uk razor at the mo
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Steve's right, as long as its unlocked it should be no problem. I still use my old UK mobile with a new SIM in it and so do loads of other people
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Steve's right, as long as its unlocked it should be no problem. I still use my old UK mobile with a new SIM in it and so do loads of other people
There is a guy on ebay that sells OZ sim cards in the UK. I bought a Vodafone one, registered online before I left the UK and as soon as I got into Perth airport I switched it on and phoned my mum! On a $49 cap I get $310 worth of credit.

Galba
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
There is a guy on ebay that sells OZ sim cards in the UK. I bought a Vodafone one, registered online before I left the UK and as soon as I got into Perth airport I switched it on and phoned my mum! On a $49 cap I get $310 worth of credit.

Galba
My friends over there have also recommended me the Vodaphone $49 cards with the extra credit. Do you by any chance have the EBay sellers details?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
My friends over there have also recommended me the Vodaphone $49 cards with the extra credit. Do you by any chance have the EBay sellers details?
his ebay shop is experimentalists.

Galba
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Defo get the unlock code - then no problems, did this for two of our phones, kicking ourselves didn't do the same for the kids ones.

Nat
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:54 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
his ebay shop is experimentalists.

Galba
Many thanks
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point

We just bought a couple of Virgin sims and popped them into the UK phones which worked fine. sims were $9 and we got $20 worth of free credit. Did not want a contract until I knew what we were doing so this works well for us.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There is usually a "little man" in a local market who will unlock it for you for a few quid. You will still get the branding stuff though, like the start up screen and you will need settings if you want to access the net on it - just call your new provider and they will sms you the settings. I am using my son's hand me down O2 phone at the moment.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:55 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

You should be able to find your unlock code on the internet. Saved myself a bit of cash by doing it myself!