Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by abner
Try harder.
I'll accept a bended knee …….will omit the rest.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
SA is leading in what? It neither leads in amount of meth consumed nor amount per head of population.
Try harder.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Try harder.
Can't dispute facts.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Can't dispute facts.
Which helped the OP how, exactly?

Surely you have something useful to say on something close to the actual OP topic, e.g. private school admissions in NSW, perhaps?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Try harder.
How does such a useless piece of crap help the OP?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

How does such a useless piece of crap help the OP?
How do posts debating meth consumption with "the troubadour" help the OP?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How do posts debating meth consumption with "the troubadour" help the OP?
Troubadour is attempting to convince the OP that meth consumption in Perth should influence their decision on moving to Melbourne. I feel it shouldn't. Does that help you now?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And so BE loses another new poster, and another thread goes down the pan.........at least something is consistent in this crazy new world.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

rajkdabd is an unknown quantity at this point

There's been a whole lot of hyperventilation on the thread about how difficult this all is, but it ain't necessarily so.

Your Plan A seems to be that your daughter will enter a Melbourne-area Year 11 program next year, i.e. late Jan 2021. Unless you have plans to return to the UK immediately thereafter, there's no point in her sitting GCSE exams; the immediate educational objective becomes a high VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) score, which in turn translates into an ATAR (Australia Tertiary Admission Rank) standing, which is the primary qualification for admission into Australian universities generally, including the 8 "sandstone" ones (broadly, the best ones here). If a transition back to UK (or other) for post-graduate education is desired later, a solid Australian baccalaureate from one of the top 8 unis will do the job.

Where to achieve that high VCE depends a lot on things you (understandably) don't detail in your OP in this thread. While I don't want to infer too much from your "quite lucrative [opportunity]" characterisation, I'm guessing at an income level that corresponds with an expectation of using private school options, and family location in a relatively 'leafy' inner Melbourne suburb. (I'd note in passing that there are also top-rank VIC-state selective-intake high school options for Years 9 -12, but your daughter has missed the normal exam-based intake for those.)

If that's the case, our family's recent circumstances have roughly intersected with yours. I'm willing to compare notes, if you like, but only via PM.
xxxxxxxxx
Hi,
Thanks Abner for your helpful comments. I am also going to be in similar situation soon. I am contemplating move to Melbourne in Aug-Sep this year.. My son (born 02.08.2006-- so now 14 1/2 years), who is currently in year 10 will be moving with me. My move is likely to be permanant, though nothing is guaranteed in life. I am confused and worried as to how best to handle his schooling. Going by the comments to this threat, it seems that if the move is likely to be a permanent one, then it makes sense to move as quickly as possible, to give a best chance to the child to settle in ans perform well in the VCE exam in year 11 and 12.

Any advice about best private schools in Eastern side of the Melbourne?
Old Jan 24th 2021, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rajkdabd
xxxxxxxxx
Hi,
Thanks Abner for your helpful comments. I am also going to be in similar situation soon. I am contemplating move to Melbourne in Aug-Sep this year.. My son (born 02.08.2006-- so now 14 1/2 years), who is currently in year 10 will be moving with me. My move is likely to be permanant, though nothing is guaranteed in life. I am confused and worried as to how best to handle his schooling. Going by the comments to this threat, it seems that if the move is likely to be a permanent one, then it makes sense to move as quickly as possible, to give a best chance to the child to settle in ans perform well in the VCE exam in year 11 and 12.

Any advice about best private schools in Eastern side of the Melbourne?
As long as your son arrives by January 2023 when he will go into year 11 he should be fine. BTW forget what year level he may be in in a foreign country, go with what he will be in in Australia and as he doesnt turn 15 until well after the cut off date for Vic he would be in yr 9 this year.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. Yes, I have been told by a school that he will be put in year 9 if i move this year.
My tentative plan is to move around september this year.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rajkdabd
Thanks. Yes, I have been told by a school that he will be put in year 9 if i move this year.
My tentative plan is to move around september this year.
You realise that the academic year in Australia goes from January to December so a September arrival will put him in year 9 until December then next year he will be in yr 10. Sometimes people do get confused because our academic year is different from the Northern Hemisphere.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I know.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Yessur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi UK20054
I've just joined BE and noticed that this 4 page thread has turned into something about Meth?!
I wonder how you got on with your decision and what you have done. We are all leaving for Melbourne in the next few months and I have a year 10 and year 7 child. Was interested in what you decided?

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could die wondering. Let's not over think it.
I would never not overthink something as important when it comes to my children (grown now so a bit different) and in this day an age unless I also have some financial backup I would consider things very carefully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.