Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:32 am
  #31  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 8,212
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Perth is not Australia. It is a small outpost on the far western coast.

Thread title says Melbourne. Not Perth.
My niece is a paramedic in Victoria - she'd say much the same about ice too I think as quite a few of her clients are either victims or users. She obviously talks to her dad - a very sensible chap, who is nigh on paranoid about meeting a methed up driver especially on the country roads. I guess his perception may be a bit coloured because his wife's car was totalled by a methed up chap late last year (apparently Subarus are the ones to drive in such cases, she was OK). Not so much of a problem up here in Canberra where Coke is still more flavour of the month but I understand that Gippy is fairly rough as the ice capital of Australia
quoll is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:49 am
  #32  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,026
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
My niece is a paramedic in Victoria - she'd say much the same about ice too I think as quite a few of her clients are either victims or users. She obviously talks to her dad - a very sensible chap, who is nigh on paranoid about meeting a methed up driver especially on the country roads. I guess his perception may be a bit coloured because his wife's car was totalled by a methed up chap late last year (apparently Subarus are the ones to drive in such cases, she was OK). Not so much of a problem up here in Canberra where Coke is still more flavour of the month but I understand that Gippy is fairly rough as the ice capital of Australia
I guess the moral of the story remains the same. Alcohol, meth, cannabis, coke. Don't drive on the stuff.
Beoz is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2020, 7:10 am
  #33  
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,900
carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Meth, substance abuse, and alcohol abuse are major problems in the regions. When I drive at night I always assume the driver coming the other way is on something and behave accordingly.
carcajou is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:35 pm
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 8,212
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
I guess the moral of the story remains the same. Alcohol, meth, cannabis, coke. Don't drive on the stuff.
Or be aware that the other folk on the road could be!
quoll is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:49 am
  #35  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,314
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Perth is not Australia. It is a small outpost on the far western coast.

Thread title says Melbourne. Not Perth.
It makes no difference as the plague of ice is everywhere in Australia. I refer to Perth and country areas due to experience and witnessing the results,
as well as having a lot of very disturbing information from sources as to pointers just why we have arrived at the dreadful situation we find ourselves.
Many things I am not prepared to discuss on an open forum, but Perth and WA , while once the leading state in this horrific abuse, now I understand SA,
has taken the lead, but both are in Australia. A denial on your part as to the issues on East Coast, is only out of your pure ignorance to the fact.
And believe me, ignorance and denial are too prime ingredients, that those pushing this horrific shite on society depend on and foster.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:04 am
  #36  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,314
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by quoll View Post
Or be aware that the other folk on the road could be!
Indeed. Care is definitely required late at night. Any number have meth ice influenced driving and again can think of tragic results.
Just a fortnight ago, a fellow was cleaned up and almost killed by a meth head of his head and driving in the town (South Coast WA)
where I was lived. There have been numerous instances of violence related events there. (for example a bit over a week or so ago also, it took some eight police
officers to arrest an extremely troublesome and highly violent individual in the main shopping area.
I would hazard a guess, that in my inner city area, once a few meth houses were in operation (disbanded, after much community work)
that the majority of cars, motor bikes (they courier the stuff) were either couriering the drug, or unfit to drive due to usage
Since meth houses 'moved on' the absence of traffic late at night, is all too obvious.

Deals out of cars not noted over recent months. Very prominent previously, together with ongoing violence, begs belief what was going on,
but more worrying just how difficult it was for the community to bring in under control.
It is widespread in Perth suburbs. When you read or hear of a house/flat going up in flames, (exploding) more often than not it will be due to
meth ice production going wrong. There's been a few in Perth over last year, with a few deaths to accompany it.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 8th 2020 at 2:09 am.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:12 am
  #37  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,314
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
Meth, substance abuse, and alcohol abuse are major problems in the regions. When I drive at night I always assume the driver coming the other way is on something and behave accordingly.
Very wise move. Very late at night highly likely. The Albany Highway has been deemed a major route for the transportation of meth ice down south.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:13 am
  #38  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,026
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
It makes no difference as the plague of ice is everywhere in Australia. I refer to Perth and country areas due to experience and witnessing the results,
as well as having a lot of very disturbing information from sources as to pointers just why we have arrived at the dreadful situation we find ourselves.
Many things I am not prepared to discuss on an open forum, but Perth and WA , while once the leading state in this horrific abuse, now I understand SA,
has taken the lead, but both are in Australia. A denial on your part as to the issues on East Coast, is only out of your pure ignorance to the fact.
And believe me, ignorance and denial are too prime ingredients, that those pushing this horrific shite on society depend on and foster.
Wow .... how defensive. You've been tripped up and caught out on the location of this topic and your assessment of meth outside Perth.

Let me trip you up again.

In NSW in 2019, 2,604.5 kg of meth was consumed compared to 2,397.8 kg of cocaine. Quite an even spread and given we know meth consumption in the regional areas is far higher. If we put this into a Sydney perspective we are going to find cocaine consumption far higher.

VIctoria consumed 2,477.7 kg of meth and 819.9 kg of cocaine

On the flipside you have WA which consumed 1,416.8 kg of meth in 2019 as opposed to 67.9 kg of cocaine. Looks like you guys really like to get hold of the cheap stuff over there and it shows that one size doesn't fit all right across Australia.

You really need to work harder on your drug knowledge.
Beoz is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:35 am
  #39  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 281
abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

So...

The OP is interested in educational considerations regarding a Year 10 student potentially being transferred to Australia, and the best BE has to offer him is a debate about the relative prevalence of 'ice' in one city vs another...?

Try harder. Seriously.
abner is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:42 am
  #40  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,314
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Wow .... how defensive. You've been tripped up and caught out on the location of this topic and your assessment of meth outside Perth.

Let me trip you up again.

In NSW in 2019, 2,604.5 kg of meth was consumed compared to 2,397.8 kg of cocaine. Quite an even spread and given we know meth consumption in the regional areas is far higher. If we put this into a Sydney perspective we are going to find cocaine consumption far higher.

VIctoria consumed 2,477.7 kg of meth and 819.9 kg of cocaine

t. On the flipside you have WA which consumed 1,416.8 kg of meth in 2019 as opposed to 67.9 kg of cocaine. Looks like you guys really like to get hold of the cheap stuff over there and it shows that one size doesn't fit all right across Australia.

You really need to work harder on your drug knowledge.
My drug knowledge outweighs yours evidently, even with you search of figures from the Internet. It is not a WA specified thing but as I mentioned, very heavily used in this state as in WA. . Now SA is the leading state as mentioned previously.
About the only tripping up I can detect is your tripping over the hem of the frock your wearing.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:52 am
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,314
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by abner View Post
So...

The OP is interested in educational considerations regarding a Year 10 student potentially being transferred to Australia, and the best BE has to offer him is a debate about the relative prevalence of 'ice' in one city vs another...?

Try harder. Seriously.
AS you may come to the realisation with more time on BE, is that threads do deviate from core subject matter, to include other wider issues. The term of reference to meth ice did come up in context,
but did become without intention, at least on my part, to dominate proceedings. When posts furthering that topic, obviously they will be responded to.
Probably you that should try harder to look at the bigger picture.
But Moderator more than welcome to start another thread on meth ice abuse in Australia, if so desiring, transferring matters raised already onto new thread. I had intended to do as much, (not to piggy back) this one,

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 8th 2020 at 3:58 am.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 4:00 am
  #42  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 281
abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
AS you may come to the realisation with more time on BE, is that threads do deviate from core subject matter, to include other wider issues. The term of reference to meth ice did come up in context,
but did become without intention, at least on my part, to dominate proceedings. When posts furthering that topic, obviously they will be responded to.
Probably you that should try harder to look at the bigger picture.
But Moderator more than welcome to start another thread on meth ice abuse in Australia, if so desiring, transferring matters raised already onto new thread. I had intended to do as much, (not to piggy back) this one,
Try harder.
abner is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 6:04 am
  #43  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,026
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
My drug knowledge outweighs yours evidently, even with you search of figures from the Internet. It is not a WA specified thing but as I mentioned, very heavily used in this state as in WA. . Now SA is the leading state as mentioned previously.
About the only tripping up I can detect is your tripping over the hem of the frock your wearing.
SA is leading in what? It neither leads in amount of meth consumed nor amount per head of population.
Beoz is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:03 am
  #44  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,314
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
SA is leading in what? It neither leads in amount of meth consumed nor amount per head of population.
You are hard work. Go back to sleep . Adelaide has overtaken Perth in meth ice samples from sewage testing. I'm not sure if SA state wide has overtaken WA
state wide, but know it is high. As it is in most all of Australia.
But how about getting back to the OP and Melbourne ?
the troubadour is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:05 am
  #45  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 281
abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You are hard work. Go back to sleep . Adelaide has overtaken Perth in meth ice samples from sewage testing. I'm not sure if SA state wide has overtaken WA
state wide, but know it is high. As it is in most all of Australia.
But how about getting back to the OP and Melbourne ?
Try harder.
abner is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.