Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Melbourne with Year 10 kid

Originally Posted by the troubadour
At the end of the day few really care if people make the decision to migrate or not. .
Sorry, that's just nonsense.

People post on BE for a variety of reasons, but the overwhelming majority of them do so because they are interested in "migration", whether the prospects of migration, the achievement of migration, the success or failure of life after migration, or simply ongoing notes about how different the new country is from the old.

And prospective migrants scan BE, as I once did, not so much for a legal roadmap on how to achieve migration, but for a pragmatic guide to everyday "gotchas" -- and conversely, unexpected delights -- that come with the move.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner

People post on BE for a variety of reasons, but the overwhelming majority of them do so because they are interested in "migration", whether the prospects of migration, the achievement of migration, the success or failure of life after migration, or simply ongoing notes about how different the new country is from the old.

And prospective migrants scan BE, as I once did, not so much for a legal roadmap on how to achieve migration, but for a pragmatic guide to everyday "gotchas" -- and conversely, unexpected delights -- that come with the move.
No idea what you consider to be nonsense. What people give out is information and food for thought on personal observations, expressions and experiences in Australia. That may be negative or positive. Unless in a particular line of business,
where immigration facilitates (there are a host of areas ) then there is likely to be no agenda.
Hence I can question the old doughnut, Australia is a better place for kids, by pointing out it is awash in drugs, being a world leader in ice meth as an example, you could dismiss that fact as irrelevant or with disbelief unworthy of consideration,
pushing ahead without another thought on that serious social issue, or indeed youth unemployment or a host of other issues. It remains the decision obviously of the potential migrant, nothing of concern to me or anyone else
the migrant's final decision.
So please consider with a bit more reflection, just what you refer to as nonsense.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not nonsense and I think you missed the point of the original comment. None of us here could give a toss whether someone decides to emigrate or not. People pose questions and those of us who may have some experience, give answers - end of. What the original questioner does with those responses is up to them. If they ignore the points that are made then they probably get short shrift when they come back on crying that it has all gone tits up for the reasons enunciated originally. We have had people on this and other boards saying "nobody told me" when, of course, somebody probably did tell them, they just chose to ignore what was said, as is their right.

I would be very surprised if anyone was flakey enough to base their decision on what a board of anonymous people thought but at least they will be making an informed decision and not some Pollyanna thinking. Emigration is a costly gamble - financially, emotionally, socially and if someone chooses to take that gamble then they are better doing it forewarned and forearmed.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what the stoush is all about.

I did not think earlier comments were negative, certainly not mine, in which I encouraged the poster to move here immediately if possible. I did point out that it often leads to a very poor outcome if a student from overseas moves here and joins an ATAR course mid-stream. That is data-driven and in fact many schools will not even permit students to even sit the ATAR exams if they join mid-stream instead of at the beginning of the year. I consider that quite a complication for the child if the timing of the move isn't carefully considered. General stream courses however don't do exams, so midyear intake doesn't matter.

Regardless of what is in this forum, or what was exchanged on PM with abner, the OP would be very wise to contact a few schools in the intended intake area directly to get their advice and hew to it closely. The person to speak to will be someone called the "ATAR Coordinator" which I imagine every school (government and private) in a big urban area like Melbourne will have.

I also, like abner, perused the forum for almost a decade before joining and becoming an active forum member. Information provided both about the immigration process, as well as life here, which I could then triangulate with all of the Australians I was working with overseas, was invaluable in meticulously planning a successful move. As quoll just noted information presented by the anonymous people here should be taken as starting points, to point someone in the direction of verifiable information from trustworthy sources. There is a difference between being negative and being realistic. There are quite a few posters who have unrealistic expectations who need to be brought to earth a little bit. Then there are people like this OP who strike me as very realistic and want accurate information to plan a realistic move.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 4th 2020 at 4:16 am.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in my view it is the unrealistic expectations that should be exposed, in order to be of any sort of service,to those considering immigration.
There are plenty of promotional stuff on UK TV and online to sell a certain picture of things down under but few dwell on all sides for obvious reasons.

People will obviously be looking more for confirmation to the belief and picture they have been sold, making them less than grateful for any less than positive
comments, fully understandable.

But then better not go on line which by the nature of the beast, throw up responses from all sides. I personally can think of numerous reasons not to immigrate to
Australia. But a lot will depend on individual situation one finds oneself in. If, for example, I had a good job, family and friends, a house I enjoy living in , with a
location of choice, I would be very hard pressed to arrive at a reason to uproot my life to go to Australia.
There is nothing to say life will be better, either for children or a couple. Indeed many relationships flounder on moving to Australia. I have witnessed many.
Then there are those, where one likes it and the other may detest it, or remains but wishing elsewhere. Nothing is written that it is going to be better.
While that may have been more often the case, thirty years ago, it certainly isn't these days.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in my view it is the unrealistic expectations that should be exposed, in order to be of any sort of service,to those considering immigration.
There are plenty of promotional stuff on UK TV and online to sell a certain picture of things down under but few dwell on all sides for obvious reasons.

People will obviously be looking more for confirmation to the belief and picture they have been sold, making them less than grateful for any less than positive
comments, fully understandable.

But then better not go on line which by the nature of the beast, throw up responses from all sides. I personally can think of numerous reasons not to immigrate to
Australia. But a lot will depend on individual situation one finds oneself in. If, for example, I had a good job, family and friends, a house I enjoy living in , with a
location of choice, I would be very hard pressed to arrive at a reason to uproot my life to go to Australia.
There is nothing to say life will be better, either for children or a couple. Indeed many relationships flounder on moving to Australia. I have witnessed many.
Then there are those, where one likes it and the other may detest it, or remains but wishing elsewhere. Nothing is written that it is going to be better.
While that may have been more often the case, thirty years ago, it certainly isn't these days.
Or you could die wondering. Let's not over think it.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Or you could die wondering. Let's not over think it.
How about let's do over think it? It has the potential to be the biggest decision, as well as costly one,
that a family or couple can make.
As such it deserves the most careful of reflection and not some ill thought out scheme, devoid of pitfalls
and potential failure through being sold a line by those with vested interests.
As for wondering 'what if'', well life is full of such moments of if a path was taken, how different the outcome
may have been. Thing being of course, we do select future outcomes throughout life, meaning whether to go to a country
such as Australia, being just another, with potential far reaching consequences. It may work but equally may not.
Surely warranting some careful consideration which cannot be labeled overthinking it.?

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 5th 2020 at 1:30 am.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

How about let's do over think it? It has the potential to be the biggest decision, as well as costly one,
As such it deserves the most careful of reflection and not some ill thought out scheme, devoid of pitfalls
As for wondering 'what if'', well life is full of such moments of if a path was taken, how different the outcome
may have been. Thing being of course, we do select future outcomes throughout life, meaning whether to go to a country
such as Australia, being just another, with potential far reaching consequences. It may work but equally may not.
Surely warranting some careful consideration which cannot be labeled overthinking it.?
So you, at least, *do* care whether people choose to migrate or not. You feel that "it deserves the most careful of reflection", etc.,etc.

Yet earlier you stated, "At the end of the day few really care if people make the decision to migrate or not", and I called you out for it. That clearly doesn't apply to your own view, and does a clear disservice to the views of many if not most BE posters--this is, after all, a forum which wears "Expat" in its very title.

You may well not agree with how others choose to portray the merits or the factual bases of various migration decisions, or associated career, family and educational considerations. But you--and others--should refrain from misassuming their motives.

Last edited by abner; Jul 5th 2020 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if one is unable to make a go of their adventure then there will be some form of the same regret you suffer from.

It would be fair to suggest the most who have immigrated, have also put a fair amount of effort and cost into that move and probably have a fair degree of motivation to make a good go of it.

Of course a few won't ........ we just need to clarify you are in the minority.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 2:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So you, at least, *do* care whether people choose to migrate or not. You feel that "it deserves the most careful of reflection", etc.,etc.
I think there are still some of us on BE who do care what happens to the families who join up ask the questions we have all answered 100 times before. Those who still respond to the questions about visas must have a passing interest in migration issues or their info would not be up to date. Maybe its not as deep a "caring" as it would be for those we know personally, but I think most of us care enough to want people to make the right decision. Very few people take pleasure in seeing others have difficulties in their lives.
I've been through enough ups and downs (mainly downs) in the last 16 years to be well aware of the pitfalls of life here. I spent time in Aus, and I used BE to death before I emigrated, but was still caught out by many aspects of life here which I just simply don't like. In my early days here I met many BE posters in person, who said the same - they wished they had known XXX before they came. And that's why I care enough to still be on the forum, still trying to give people my view of the country (though I recommend they balance it with that of others happier than me!) and its also why I take a huge interest in migration rules and changes - while I don't claim to know even 30% of the rules, I know enough to point people in a good direction.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think there are still some of us on BE who do care what happens to the families who join up ask the questions we have all answered 100 times before. Those who still respond to the questions about visas must have a passing interest in migration issues or their info would not be up to date. Maybe its not as deep a "caring" as it would be for those we know personally, but I think most of us care enough to want people to make the right decision. Very few people take pleasure in seeing others have difficulties in their lives.
I've been through enough ups and downs (mainly downs) in the last 16 years to be well aware of the pitfalls of life here. I spent time in Aus, and I used BE to death before I emigrated, but was still caught out by many aspects of life here which I just simply don't like. In my early days here I met many BE posters in person, who said the same - they wished they had known XXX before they came. And that's why I care enough to still be on the forum, still trying to give people my view of the country (though I recommend they balance it with that of others happier than me!) and its also why I take a huge interest in migration rules and changes - while I don't claim to know even 30% of the rules, I know enough to point people in a good direction.
Good advice and a point in the right direction is great. Claiming Australia is riddled with meth which it is not, is well and truly providing false information for someone who is embarking on life changing activities.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yet earlier you stated, "At the end of the day few really care if people make the decision to migrate or not", and I called you out for it. That clearly doesn't apply to your own view, and does a clear disservice to the views of many if not most BE posters--this is, after all, a forum which wears "Expat" in its very title.

You may well not agree with how others choose to portray the merits or the factual bases of various migration decisions, or associated career, family and educational considerations. But you--and others--should refrain from misassuming their motives.
It requires what I wrote. No more. The decision made in the end has nothing to do with me, hence I don't care on any sort of personal level, one way or another. This is called having no agenda, As I have noted, how others choose to portray Australia, is totally their business.
No I don't think anyone will care about the decision arrived at, why on earth would anyone? We state observations and opinions through experience, what may or may not strike an accord with a potential migrant. But it really doesn't matter either way. Few would expect a few comments on a forum as this, to really sway a decision made. Many will only be looking for confirmation anyway, taking little notice of contrary views that don't fit into the picture established. That's fine. As I said, it doesn't matter. Others with thoughts on migration, perhaps beginning their journey of reflection on the wisdom of migration may equally get something out of it (or not)
Actually while Expats is indeed in the title, it is more a migration forum. You do understand the difference ? An Expat usually returns home at the end of their stint. A migrant has different priorities in adapting to a new life in a country, which they usually hope to become a permanent fixture in.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good advice and a point in the right direction is great. Claiming Australia is riddled with meth which it is not, is well and truly providing false information for someone who is embarking on life changing activities.
Hard to go past me for a point in the right direction and warts and all insight. Well and truly what? Australia is the number abuser country of meth ice in the world. That is fact. I have been in discussion with local MP and council and police about this matter,
before taking into account medical services and police experience of the violence experienced through this abuse, and it is massive.
In WA, it is impacting severely on country towns as well as city and out of control. I'm not saying most are aware of the extent, this menace is having on our society, or like you may plead ignorance. Regardless, it is a matter that requires
a far more robust approach than on offer by authorities at the moment.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hard to go past me for a point in the right direction and warts and all insight. Well and truly what? Australia is the number abuser country of meth ice in the world. That is fact. I have been in discussion with local MP and council and police about this matter,
before taking into account medical services and police experience of the violence experienced through this abuse, and it is massive.
In WA, it is impacting severely on country towns as well as city and out of control. I'm not saying most are aware of the extent, this menace is having on our society, or like you may plead ignorance. Regardless, it is a matter that requires
a far more robust approach than on offer by authorities at the moment.
Perth is not Australia. It is a small outpost on the far western coast.

Thread title says Melbourne. Not Perth.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is not Australia. It is a small outpost on the far western coast.

Thread title says Melbourne. Not Perth.
A very strange outpost at that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.