Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk medical records

Uk medical records

Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:52 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uk medical records

How do u go about getting them sent over from the UK? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk medical records

Originally Posted by Jockstar
How do u go about getting them sent over from the UK? Thanks in advance.
Usual way of getting them before you leave is to request a copy from the surgery, and there is then often a charge for getting them copied - you are entitled to a copy under the Data Protection Act.
As you've already left you'd have to get in touch with either your previous GP (if they still have the records) or your local Trust or similar - some records are returned to a central office from surgeries when a patient leaves the practice.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:29 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Usual way of getting them before you leave is to request a copy from the surgery, and there is then often a charge for getting them copied - you are entitled to a copy under the Data Protection Act.
As you've already left you'd have to get in touch with either your previous GP (if they still have the records) or your local Trust or similar - some records are returned to a central office from surgeries when a patient leaves the practice.
I have no idea where my last doc was. The last time I lived in the UK was 2003. Is there no central database?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

They might have disappeared into the ether, especially if they weren't computerised. When I worked overseas and returned to the UK about 15 months later my records had all gone and a new lot started.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea where my last doc was. The last time I lived in the UK was 2003. Is there no central database?
Guessing you are from Scotland? In which case if you can remember at least the region in Scotland you last had a registered doctor then the local health trust for that region should have them.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:22 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Guessing you are from Scotland? In which case if you can remember at least the region in Scotland you last had a registered doctor then the local health trust for that region should have them.
I am originally. But i left when i was 20. Lived in London for years. So basically left Scotland in 1994. Moved to Oz 98,back to London 99, NZ 2000 and Bangkok 2001-2006 and then Oz. Went back to UK in 2003 for 7 months. Hence my problem.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:57 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am originally. But i left when i was 20. Lived in London for years. So basically left Scotland in 1994. Moved to Oz 98,back to London 99, NZ 2000 and Bangkok 2001-2006 and then Oz. Went back to UK in 2003 for 7 months. Hence my problem.
Find the local HQ of the NHS Trust or similar which covered the place you lived in during 2003 (assuming you were registered with a GP then) and contact them. GPs were supposed to return records to their local Trust (or equivalent) HQ if the knew the person was leaving the area/emigrating etc. That would be your best starting point.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:33 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

you can just give a verbal record to many drs they wont ask for notes if you havent had anything complicated.

You can also ask the British GP for a contact sheet to be printed off it's free.

I got my GP to write a referral letter re my spinal injury and a printed contact sheet for the rest it didn't cost me anything
Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
you can just give a verbal record to many drs they wont ask for notes if you havent had anything complicated.

You can also ask the British GP for a contact sheet to be printed off it's free.

I got my GP to write a referral letter re my spinal injury and a printed contact sheet for the rest it didn't cost me anything
Mine charged twenty-five pounds each!!!!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not being nosy, well I am really why do you think you need them now when you've not needed them for at least 10 years? Feel free to tell me to bog off.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Can you get your records from Australia hospitals / doctors just as easily?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:22 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not being nosy, well I am really why do you think you need them now when you've not needed them for at least 10 years? Feel free to tell me to bog off.
Previous surgery records.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 1:33 am
Home and Happy

Previous surgery records.
If you don't want to post it on here, pm me with the town where you lived last in the UK and I'll see if I can track down where the records should be. Would give you a starting point at least
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have some really complex ongoing condition it's unlikely that a doctor is going to be interested in them anyway. Same with dental records, they just start anew. I wouldn't bother wasting time or energy chasing them unless you have had major interventions in the past.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:59 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Mine charged twenty-five pounds each!!!!
did you pay for a contact sheet? that is always free so your GP robbed you!

if you got your medical notes then yes you have to pay, but most Drs will write a referral letter for free and a travel letter if you need to carry drugs on the airlines.
some do charge for referral letters I know it did help that I had been the district nurse for my surgery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.