British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK Medical Records (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-medical-records-501912/)

Jan-Jobie Dec 27th 2007 5:22 pm

UK Medical Records

Hi, could anyone advise us on what to do with regards to UK medical records?

I am migrating to Perth with my husband in March 2008.

I have read on a variety of threads that it is not necessary to take medical records with us as neither of us have any major medical condition.

Do I inform our GP that we are migrating or do I just leave our medical records at our existing surgery?

My concern is if we are not registered with a doctor here in the UK we would not be entitled to see a GP if we are unwell when we come home to visit.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Regards, Jan.

Issie Dec 27th 2007 5:26 pm

Re: UK Medical Records

Originally Posted by Jan-Jobie (Post 5709401)

I have read on a variety of threads that it is not necessary to take medical records with us as neither of us have any major medical condition.

Do I inform our GP that we are migrating or do I just leave our medical records at our existing surgery?

My concern is if we are not registered with a doctor here in the UK we would not be entitled to see a GP if we are unwell when we come home to visit.

Regards, Jan.

You do not need to take medical records with you unless there is a long standing history or an unusual illness.

AS for the GP's ....we have just changed addresses to my Mum's

One thing you may need is if you have kids you will need to take thier immunisation records.

Good luck :)

seanandmaria Dec 27th 2007 9:22 pm

We didn't bring medical records, but we did get a summery print out off them, Not that its had any use, as we were rarely ill in the UK and only 2 of us have visited the Drs since we arrived.

If you need to visit a GP when on holiday in the UK, you can go into any surgery and register as a visiter (presumming the surgery is acccepting new patients/will see you) it's not usually a problem though.

Maria

rmac Dec 28th 2007 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Jan-Jobie (Post 5709401)

Regards, Jan.

Hi
you don't get to take your medical records as they are property of the NHS. The Dr will do you a summary if you ask them with all the details of medication, operations etc. Even if you dont tell your GP that you are leaving, the NHS tend to send a letter to your address if they think you don't live there anymore and if you don't reply they take you off your GPs books so you wont be registered with them any way! Your notes go back to Primary Care and stay there until you register with a GP in UK again. GPs will see 'temporary residents' so you should be OK if you are on hols in UK and get sick. Usually you would go to a GP your relatives are registered with in that case.
We just brought summaries of our med history and the Dr here was happy with that.
Hope this helps
Rhona

Jan-Jobie Dec 28th 2007 9:48 am

Many thanks for all this good advise. We are now clear about the process and what action to take. Regards, Jan.

midwife2be Jan 2nd 2008 5:31 pm

We've been asked by our gp to put in writing what we want!! How do we know :unsure: Myself and the girls haven't had any medical problems and rarely visit the gp so is it worth us getting a summary? What kind of stuff is on there?!

My OH takes various prescriptive meds so I just thought of asking for the prescription list and dose etc, does this sound ok??

rmac Jan 3rd 2008 4:36 am

It is worth getting a summary as it tells you when you last had a smear and thing like vaccines for the children. That's if your GP puts everything on the computer.

asher Jan 3rd 2008 5:53 am

Originally Posted by midwife2be (Post 5730327)
We've been asked by our gp to put in writing what we want!! How do we know :unsure: Myself and the girls haven't had any medical problems and rarely visit the gp so is it worth us getting a summary? What kind of stuff is on there?!

My OH takes various prescriptive meds so I just thought of asking for the prescription list and dose etc, does this sound ok??

ask the GP for a contact sheet it details when you saw him/her and what for and lists your medications! it is free :thumbup:

midwife2be Jan 3rd 2008 9:00 am

Thanks for that Asher :thumbsup: free sounds good to me!!