Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Life Insurance

UK Life Insurance

Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:27 am
Just Joined

corinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura about
Default UK Life Insurance

Hi we are moving to Highfields Qld in Jan - will it be possible to keep paying our uk life insurance policies. Dont want to lose them- anybody give me any advice.....thanks
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: UK Life Insurance

Originally Posted by corinamac
Hi we are moving to Highfields Qld in Jan - will it be possible to keep paying our uk life insurance policies. Dont want to lose them- anybody give me any advice.....thanks
Hi there, we have been in Oz for nearly 3 years now and still have UK based Life insurance with Norwich Union.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by corinamac
Hi, we still have our policy from the uk. I read the small print and as long as you keep paying them from a uk bank account they have worldwide cover. Best to give them a call and double check though.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

jamman has a brilliant futurejamman has a brilliant futurejamman has a brilliant futurejamman has a brilliant futurejamman has a brilliant futurejamman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Hi, we still have our policy from the uk. I read the small print and as long as you keep paying them from a uk bank account they have worldwide cover. Best to give them a call and double check though.
Agree we checked with Norwich Union on our life insurance and as long as we pay from a UK bank account its all valid.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

We were with Royal & Sun Life and they would not cover us in Oz.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
We were with Royal & Sun Life and they would not cover us in Oz.
We are with Norwich Union and have kept ours going, but once they expire (next year) we won't be able to renew them as we are not resident in the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

We were not allowed to keep ours going which is a shame as they were better policies than anything we have seen on offer here.

So far, we have not got round to sorting any out, must look into really, also need to re do our wills as we only have our UK one, which apparently would not apply here, I think?

If you can keep your UK policy, then probably a good idea as it saves the hassle of sorting a new one or doing what we've done and forget about it!

Sam
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with M&S and they have told me that I'm still covered in Aus. Even have it in writing somewhere. Mind you, I don't believe them so I have taken out another policy here in Aus.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
We were not allowed to keep ours going

Did the terms of the policy allow the life insurance company to revoke cover? Or did someone just say that over the phone.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

We have policies with Marks & Spencer. Phoned them up and they said we were covered. Got them to send a letter so I had it in writing.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did the terms of the policy allow the life insurance company to revoke cover? Or did someone just say that over the phone.
We were with M & S interstingly enough and were informed in writing that we would not be covered, this was after I had written to them asking about it.

Funny that others have policies with M & S with no problems, very annoying but no use to us now

Sam
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:28 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

The policy document will tell you whether you are covered or not. If you do not have it to hand or are unsure of the wording the best thing to do is get written confirmation from your UK life insurer.

In the "old days" some companies used to think that you presented a higher risk of death if you moved overseas and hence included the clause about the policy being cancelled if you moved out of the UK. There was also a worry about issues associated with "proof of death" and the potential for fraud from people who were far removed from the UK.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FHI
The policy document will tell you whether you are covered or not. If you do not have it to hand or are unsure of the wording the best thing to do is get written confirmation from your UK life insurer.

In the "old days" some companies used to think that you presented a higher risk of death if you moved overseas and hence included the clause about the policy being cancelled if you moved out of the UK. There was also a worry about issues associated with "proof of death" and the potential for fraud from people who were far removed from the UK.
Yes, but I also understand that some policies were valid if you lived in another 'commonwealth country'.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

We've still got our UK policy with RBS, we were led to believe over the phone it would still be valid but I'm going to get it in writing just to be on the safe side...
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
We've still got our UK policy with RBS, we were led to believe over the phone it would still be valid but I'm going to get it in writing just to be on the safe side...
Why not just look at the policy wording?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.