Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The UK - Learn to Love it.

Wikiposts

The UK - Learn to Love it.

Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:36 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The UK - Learn to Love it.

Everyone knows that with Abdel and myself and our migration application, that it's two steps forward and 6 back.

I personally cannot wait to start a new life and embrace another culture because most of us know that Australia does indeed have it's own culture.

But I don't want to leave the UK with bad feeling either because a burned bridge can't be recrossed.

Anyway, I got up this morning and pissed off my whippet as I dragged her out of her warm bed and convinced her that yes, she really did need to go out for a pee.

Walk/limp down the road which I normally do every day but this morning it seemed different.

'Morning Sam' our friendly postman yelled from over the road. Bless him, he reminds me of 'Noddy' and although he looks a plonker in his blue shorts and stubby legs, he is a lovely guy.

'Morning chunky' My whippet Rema yells at him. She has a ritual of barking and shouting abuse at him.

The air was crisp and fresh and really quite invigorating as it filled my nostrils and even my bad tempered dog had a spring in her step as the squirrels stuck two fingers at her and yelled 'slapper' as she trotted past.

The leaves were golden brown on the floor and crunched under my feet, even the bare trees looked quite nice too.

Blue sky and sunshine could have fooled anyone into thinking it was warmer than what it was.

'Morning Sam, Hi Rema!' came a familiar voice. It was my mate who worked in the office and always came out to see my little dog. I often used her office to do photocopying.

Waving good morning to our local shop keeper, he grinned at me and even my dog wagged her tail in acknowledgment.

All these little things that I never normally notice, take for granted and although I look at them, I don't 'see' them if you know what I mean.

IF we ever get to Australia, I am so glad that today, someone 'switched the lights' on to the beauty of where I live, the friendlieness of the locals and how every morning is a good one.

I am looking out of my window now watching the birds on the trees. My flat is small, in bad repair but its clean and tidy and it's my home - for now.

So whilst you await your new life, take a long look at your old one. Go outside and REALLY look at your surroundings.

Notice things you never have before, and when your time does come to move to Australia, you will at least know that the life you left wasn't all that bad at all.

In fact, in its own way, it was quite beautiful.

Good luck everyone.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK - Learn to Love it.

(getting excited)

Just seen a kestrel on my telephone line.

I know, it's only a bird.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:04 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Everyone knows that with Abdel and myself and our migration application, that it's two steps forward and 6 back.

I personally cannot wait to start a new life and embrace another culture because most of us know that Australia does indeed have it's own culture.

But I don't want to leave the UK with bad feeling either because a burned bridge can't be recrossed.

Anyway, I got up this morning and pissed off my whippet as I dragged her out of her warm bed and convinced her that yes, she really did need to go out for a pee.

Walk/limp down the road which I normally do every day but this morning it seemed different.

'Morning Sam' our friendly postman yelled from over the road. Bless him, he reminds me of 'Noddy' and although he looks a plonker in his blue shorts and stubby legs, he is a lovely guy.

'Morning chunky' My whippet Rema yells at him. She has a ritual of barking and shouting abuse at him.

The air was crisp and fresh and really quite invigorating as it filled my nostrils and even my bad tempered dog had a spring in her step as the squirrels stuck two fingers at her and yelled 'slapper' as she trotted past.

The leaves were golden brown on the floor and crunched under my feet, even the bare trees looked quite nice too.

Blue sky and sunshine could have fooled anyone into thinking it was warmer than what it was.

'Morning Sam, Hi Rema!' came a familiar voice. It was my mate who worked in the office and always came out to see my little dog. I often used her office to do photocopying.

Waving good morning to our local shop keeper, he grinned at me and even my dog wagged her tail in acknowledgment.

All these little things that I never normally notice, take for granted and although I look at them, I don't 'see' them if you know what I mean.

IF we ever get to Australia, I am so glad that today, someone 'switched the lights' on to the beauty of where I live, the friendlieness of the locals and how every morning is a good one.

I am looking out of my window now watching the birds on the trees. My flat is small, in bad repair but its clean and tidy and it's my home - for now.

So whilst you await your new life, take a long look at your old one. Go outside and REALLY look at your surroundings.

Notice things you never have before, and when your time does come to move to Australia, you will at least know that the life you left wasn't all that bad at all.

Good luck everyone.

I have been thinking and noticing the same Sam, it's strange it actaully makes you question why you are going . But he who dares wins and all that. I am hoping to go for the experience, I don't dislike my home country, quite the opposite
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Brisben
I have been thinking and noticing the same Sam, it's strange it actaully makes you question why you are going . But he who dares wins and all that. I am hoping to go for the experience, I don't dislike my home country, quite the opposite
its a nice feeling though when u realise it.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

A whippet hey' ... ?

Flat cap and slippers, fond of the nags ?

Smoke woodbine ... I've got yer.

Good luck everyone.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:37 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I feel like that too, I think when you live away from the country you definately appreciate it so much more....... I lived in USA for 2 years and talk about patriotic Big time !!!
Anyway I don't believe in taking anything for granted I just know that this move will definately improve the type of lifestyle we want. We can't have it here due to weather, finances and the mentality of a few idiots who spoil it
I wont go on too much but I would say definately prepare yourself coz I am sure at some point you will feel like that, its not a bad thing either you just realize what a great life experience you have had.
Jane x
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:23 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have mixed feelings when somebody I tell about our plans says something like "don't bloody blame you, this country has gone to the dogs". When we started this process I felt some of that myself. But now we are nearly there I keep thinking about what we are leaving behind and it isn't that bad really. Of course, some of it is nerves as we are 3 days from leaving. But I was never one of those people that are going to get away from England only to go somewhere else and do something exciting.

So when somebody gives me that "don't bloody blame you.." line I want to stand up for the UK. The trouble is those close to us would either be confused about why we are doing this if the UK is alright and at least they can have some happiness for us that we are going somewhere "better" so I stay silent.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:35 am

I think you don't have to hate the UK in order to want to leave it.

Wanting to live a different life and still love the things about your old one is a healthy attitude.

We would all be boring if we were only allowed to show emotion for one thing.

I think enjoying parts of the UK is a good thing.

If you don't appreciate anything you have here, then you might find it a little harder to see the beauty in where you move to.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:49 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam

Its good to see your posts they always make me laugh, even the more serious ones (its the way you tell a story so well).

Anyhow, I agree with you about the not hating your country. For me, and I think Tracey would say the same, it was never about hating. I love my country, but also, I could not say that there were not things I disliked about the UK. But this was more about issues that I had no control over. We left to get a new and fresh life. Something different. Indeed I miss a great many things about England, obviously my friends, the closeness of places we used to visit (here in Oz things are that much further apart). We have only been here for 10 weeks, but already we like so much about where we are. And we have made some great friends.

As for burning bridges, well you can never say nevar, and Tracey and I have always said that we want to come back to the UK for a holiday in order to see how we feel. But that wont be for another 2 years at least.

Take care Sam and we both really look forward to seeing you at our house for a Barbi. You are great company.

Wanting to live a different life and still love the things about your old one is a healthy attitude.

If you don't appreciate anything you have here, then you might find it a little harder to see the beauty in where you move to.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:56 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Ditto - what you said, exactly.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Sam

Its good to see your posts they always make me laugh, even the more serious ones (its the way you tell a story so well).

Anyhow, I agree with you about the not hating your country. For me, and I think Tracey would say the same, it was never about hating. I love my country, but also, I could not say that there were not things I disliked about the UK. But this was more about issues that I had no control over. We left to get a new and fresh life. Something different. Indeed I miss a great many things about England, obviously my friends, the closeness of places we used to visit (here in Oz things are that much further apart). We have only been here for 10 weeks, but already we like so much about where we are. And we have made some great friends.

As for burning bridges, well you can never say nevar, and Tracey and I have always said that we want to come back to the UK for a holiday in order to see how we feel. But that wont be for another 2 years at least.

Take care Sam and we both really look forward to seeing you at our house for a Barbi. You are great company.
Thank you very much for your nice comments.

I am having a very depressed day today thinking we will never get there. I have to enter Abdel for his IELTS tonight.

He is aiming to sit it ASAP and cram revision and practise in. At worst he will fail and we are looking on the first attempt as a mock exam.

If he passes, then it's a pleasant surprise.

He can only resit every 3 months and I though if he sits it within the next two weeks for practise, the results come out 2 weeks later.

The most we lost is 88 pounds.

But I will take you up on the offer of a barbie, it can give me some focus and direction. I sure need it at the moment.

Who's idea was it for me to start a nursing diploma when all this migration shit is going on? I could kick myself.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:04 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is such a valid point - we are not wanting out because we hate it here, we want to try something different, with different oppportunities and challenges. A couple of months back we were driving through CoDurham after visiting the inlaws and it was beautiful - green and sunny and it did make me appreciate more what we are leaving (it was funny how I could feel it dawning on me at that precise moment how lucky we are here!!)
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I think that is such a valid point - we are not wanting out because we hate it here, we want to try something different, with different oppportunities and challenges. A couple of months back we were driving through CoDurham after visiting the inlaws and it was beautiful - green and sunny and it did make me appreciate more what we are leaving (it was funny how I could feel it dawning on me at that precise moment how lucky we are here!!)

I love my London and when they did the bombings, I was devastated.

I got my discounted Oyster travel card today from Transport for London. ******* wicked it is. I love being a Londoner. Might not be born and bred, but I love it right down to our scruffy London buses and rude black cab drivers.

However, I love the bluntness of the Aussies.

'Do I look OK?' I asked one guy I was staying with when I was there for six weeks.

'Nope, you look shit' He replied.

Sums it up, don't ask an Aussie a question if you think the answer will offend you.

Loving London doesn't mean I have to live there forever. It doesn't feel entirely right to me.

In australia, I feel like I don't need to search for anything anymore because I have found it.

I don't give a shit about the weather, the heat doesnt bother me, I adapt.

The snakes don't bother me, in fact the wildlife doesn't scare me.

It's where I want to spend my my life, it's the place where I want to call home.

But the UK will always be the place I was born, London the place where I met my husband.

I am proud to be British, and even more proud at the thought of living in Australia.

You really can have it both ways if you see from the right angle.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:15 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam

Re the Nursing diploma.....Probably obvious......No point in dwelling on what might have been, it is just depressing.

As for the Barbi.....we will be only too pleased if it helps you to focus and make that transition from UK to Oz a reality.

You will do it Sam......stay positive.

Cheers G

Thank you very much for your nice comments.

I am having a very depressed day today thinking we will never get there. I have to enter Abdel for his IELTS tonight.

He is aiming to sit it ASAP and cram revision and practise in. At worst he will fail and we are looking on the first attempt as a mock exam.

If he passes, then it's a pleasant surprise.

He can only resit every 3 months and I though if he sits it within the next two weeks for practise, the results come out 2 weeks later.

The most we lost is 88 pounds.

But I will take you up on the offer of a barbie, it can give me some focus and direction. I sure need it at the moment.

Who's idea was it for me to start a nursing diploma when all this migration shit is going on? I could kick myself.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Sam

Re the Nursing diploma.....Probably obvious......No point in dwelling on what might have been, it is just depressing.

As for the Barbi.....we will be only too pleased if it helps you to focus and make that transition from UK to Oz a reality.

You will do it Sam......stay positive.

Cheers G
I started my diploma as my plan B, in case Abdel fails. i am enjoying it but finding it hard to do the essays.

If they asked me to do a 1000 words of crap, then easy.

But its serious grown up stuff and Im stuck. :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.