UK Labour Win ?

Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice
Default Re: UK Labour Win ?

I really hope Labour do win, i cannot imagine "call me Dave" running the country or even running a tuck shop, dear me no thanks.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
I really hope Labour do win, i cannot imagine "call me Dave" running the country or even running a tuck shop, dear me no thanks.
Yes, Gordon might as well carry on and finish the job.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 10:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

If Labour win I might well consider emigrating back to the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:04 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

As I pointed out in another thread, of 31 polls conducted already this year Labour have an average of 31`% of the votes. That is just 4% less than the 35% of votes that they had in 2005. If they can get to 32% the chances of a hung parliament are very high.

Even after 13 years and a country and economy that many people think is in a mess, there is no major swing to the Conservative party.

Sadly, the biggest danger now is in the marginalisation of the voting. Right wing (and to some extent far left wing) parties will hold the balance of power. In some ways this might be a good thing. It may result in at least some clear direction forward.

There is one even more scary potential outcome, albeit remote at the moment. The UK is becoming similar to Germany in the 1920s. Deep in the poo.

Hitler originally rose to power as part of a coalition government in January 1933, a union between the Deutschnationale Volkspartei and the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, to counter the power of the communist KPD party.

There is a strong analogy with a coalition government formed between a far right party and the mainstream right wing party (the Conservatives) leading to a far right ruling government.

On the other hand, if it fixes the mess…..
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I am no expert on European history but methinks your analogy to Germany of the 1920's is a number of steps too far surely...

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
There is one even more scary potential outcome, albeit remote at the moment. The UK is becoming similar to Germany in the 1920s. Deep in the poo.

Hitler originally rose to power as part of a coalition government in January 1933, a union between the Deutschnationale Volkspartei and the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, to counter the power of the communist KPD party.

There is a strong analogy with a coalition government formed between a far right party and the mainstream right wing party (the Conservatives) leading to a far right ruling government.

On the other hand, if it fixes the mess…..
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:35 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I am no expert on European history but methinks your analogy to Germany of the 1920's is a number of steps too far surely...
As I said, potential, albeit remote.

But the current feelings of many in the UK seem to align with those of Germany in the 1920s: the poor economy, fear of ruin, blame upon migrants etc.

And we have the polarisation of the two major political spectrums, the left and right, with the real power then falling into the hands of minority extremist parties.

I think most Germans in 1928 had no idea how the country was heading when they faced similar elections, and when the Nazi party took power they found that most things got better.

Just food for thought.

I would much rather a moderate party win in its own right, rather than from a coalition with an extremist party. And yet that may well happen this year in the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Much as it pains me, it's probably better for the UK for Labour do get a decent election win rather than a hung parliament, no overall control.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

The government that robs Peter to pay Paul, will always be able to depend on the support of Paul.

I really can't see a way out for UK at the moment, up to it's eyes in debt, having to borrow more every month in order just to stay afloat and every month having less and less tax income to support the debt and the associated interest payments.

To make matters even worse there is now an election looming, and while the financial world waits, less than patiently, for UK to propose a plan to get it's finances back on track. None of the political parties are willing to risk giving a detailed manifesto in regards to debt management, as to do so would make them unelectable.

What party has a chance of gaining power with a proposed agenda of reduced borrowing, increased VAT and other taxes, public service pension, pay and job cuts. Reduced welfare and pension benefits and a general reduction in living standards for the whole of the country ?

Yet this is the only medicine that will cure the patient.

I'm afraid that the UK is looking at the dire prospect of either another term of Nu Labour without the required majority to govern effectively, or a hung parliament and the country being 'governed' by a committee.

The election is coming soon and "Paul" is already sharpening his voting pencil
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When is the election?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The concern has to be that if the UK continues on the same path - economically, socially and politically - that it has been on since 1997, what kind of country will it be in 2025?

The policy of "quantitative easing" - ie, printing money - may have staved off the worst of what the recession could have been. However, as soon as economic growth returns, what will happen to inflation and interest rates?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:32 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by Hino
The government that robs Peter to pay Paul, will always be able to depend on the support of Paul.

I really can't see a way out for UK at the moment, up to it's eyes in debt, having to borrow more every month in order just to stay afloat and every month having less and less tax income to support the debt and the associated interest payments.

To make matters even worse there is now an election looming, and while the financial world waits, less than patiently, for UK to propose a plan to get it's finances back on track. None of the political parties are willing to risk giving a detailed manifesto in regards to debt management, as to do so would make them unelectable.

What party has a chance of gaining power with a proposed agenda of reduced borrowing, increased VAT and other taxes, public service pension, pay and job cuts. Reduced welfare and pension benefits and a general reduction in living standards for the whole of the country ?

Yet this is the only medicine that will cure the patient.

I'm afraid that the UK is looking at the dire prospect of either another term of Nu Labour without the required majority to govern effectively, or a hung parliament and the country being 'governed' by a committee.

The election is coming soon and "Paul" is already sharpening his voting pencil
Sadly Hino, if I had to predict the future that’s what I would say.

Right now the UK is living the life of superpower. 2 new massive aircraft carriers, troops all over the world fighting battles. Migrants flicking in to enjoy the good life, a health system that is still the envy of the world etc.

Unfortunately we stopped earning the superpower income years ago.

My guess is the next term, whoever wins, will change the UK for all times sake. Taxes and VAT will HAVE to rise, the public service and the services it provides (eg NHS) MUST suffer swinging cutbacks. Wages and living standards HAVE to go down.

The UK is going to become like a second rate European power like Spain or Portugal. There is nothing wrong with that, but we deserved so much better.

It’s not going to be nice for anyone, and I am so DAMN angry that my homeland has ended up in this mess. I fell like getting on a plane and shooting the idiots who put the place in this mess.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Sadly Hino, if I had to predict the future that’s what I would say.

Right now the UK is living the life of superpower. 2 new massive aircraft carriers, troops all over the world fighting battles. Migrants flicking in to enjoy the good life, a health system that is still the envy of the world etc.

Unfortunately we stopped earning the superpower income years ago.

My guess is the next term, whoever wins, will change the UK for all times sake. Taxes and VAT will HAVE to rise, the public service and the services it provides (eg NHS) MUST suffer swinging cutbacks. Wages and living standards HAVE to go down.

The UK is going to become like a second rate European power like Spain or Portugal. There is nothing wrong with that, but we deserved so much better.

It’s not going to be nice for anyone, and I am so DAMN angry that my homeland has ended up in this mess. I fell like getting on a plane and shooting the idiots who put the place in this mess.
Now that sort of 'crazy' talk never achieved anything . . .
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:45 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by spartacus
Now that sort of 'crazy' talk never achieved anything . . .
The only crazy thing is it hasn’t happened already.

We really should hold politicians accountable one way or another.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:39 am
Just Joined

jjinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
Talk straight? . . . Abbott he can barely walk straight . . .

. . . anyways I hope Gordon does get back in. He hasn't had long enough in the job, he needs at least another term to attain his aim of pound-dollar parity . . . then we can all **** off back home.

Keep up the good work Agent Brown . . .
ooh please let him win, i,ll pay for spartacus and all his whinging mates to f##k off back lol
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:40 am
Just Joined

jjinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

spatacus what exactly did you come here for, what dont you like and why the hell are you still here.... grow some mate... make the move back!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.