Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Inland Revenue

UK Inland Revenue

Old May 23rd 2004, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Question UK Inland Revenue

Hi,
Just finished completing my tax return online for 2003/2004. We are leaving August for Brisbane, I was just wondering how the UK inland revenue will work then. I assume I have to do a tax return for the 3 months I've worked here in the 2004/2005 tax period? Would I be eligible for a tax rebate, because I'm paying PAYE, so they are calculating my tax assuming a full year, but then I've heard Oz and UK have a reciprocal tax agreement, so if I earn 3months in UK and 9 months in OZ (if I get a job that quick of course ) it will work out the same. Any info?

and

What about after that. Do I have to notify inland revenue I'm gone? I don't want them chasing after me for years trying to get £5 of overpaid or underpaid tax.

Thanks,
JTL
Old May 23rd 2004, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

you need to complete a form p85 to claim back tax, there is also a lot of info if you search inland revenue site

Terry
Old May 24th 2004, 2:29 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

P85 is the form to submit your earnings for the final year in which you leave - but they may still send you a self assessment at the end of the year to complete is you usually do one - as they are looking for benefits as well.

P85 - will assess you for a full year tax allowance, eg work 3 months get taxed on 12 months allowance, so a possibly rebate coming.

For your first years in Aus, as you land you become assessible for tax from that point (and no prior earnings in that tax year for any earning from the UK are counted). The Aus government prorate the year, and the tax year is July to June. So if you worked 6 months of the UK tax Year and landed here in October you will be taxed for the remaining nine months of the year with nine months allowances (no real benefit to when you arrive then, the benefit is when you leave the UK). Leave the Beginning of April, end of March and little or no tax rebate. I worked two months into the UK Tax year and paid little or no tax on that cause I got the whole year allowance , which was rather nice as I got my paid holiday pay included in the new year.

Worth thinking about if you are planning leaving Feb/March time and are expecting large payments about that point. Possibly worth waiting and getting the payment included in the next tax year if possible - not so likely to hit the 40%?

Anyway know it is not all that easy to arrange for everyone but there are pro and cons to think about.

Cheers Sandra