Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk Inheritance tax ? Family assets? And the government

Uk Inheritance tax ? Family assets? And the government

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:58 am
Just Joined

mobilephone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Inheritance tax ? Family assets? And the government

If your parents die whilst you are in Oz ( they live in the UK) How do you make sure you get the assets and not the government?

Say house paid for a little money in bank not much and both has to go into care. Do the government get the assets?

Or
One dies and the other has to go into care do the government get the house to pay for the care?
Even if a will haves been made is it still hard or easy to get what your parents want you to have?

Has anyone any experience on this please?
And do they call it Inheritance tax?
Can not ask my or financial advisor as they have no idea I am off to Oz.

Has anyone any experience on this please.

A big thank you in advance
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Inheritance tax ? Family assets? And the government

you can still inherit if their wills leave you money, but inheritance still applies (if applicable to the estate) as the assets are in UK.

No idea about selling up and going into a nursing home though
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mobilephone
If your parents die whilst you are in Oz ( they live in the UK) How do you make sure you get the assets and not the government?

Say house paid for a little money in bank not much and both has to go into care. Do the government get the assets?

Or
One dies and the other has to go into care do the government get the house to pay for the care?
Even if a will haves been made is it still hard or easy to get what your parents want you to have?

Has anyone any experience on this please?
And do they call it Inheritance tax?
Can not ask my or financial advisor as they have no idea I am off to Oz.

Has anyone any experience on this please.

A big thank you in advance
I can see no reason why the government would get the assets when there are living relatives. The assets would be distributed same way as normal. The executor of the will applies for probate, fills in the inheritance tax forms, liquidates the assets, pays of the liabilities including inheritance tax if there is any to pay and distributes the proceeds to the benefactors in the will.

If there is no will then somebody else (a close family member) applies for letters of administration and then carries out the role of the executor and distributes to family members according to the intestate rules.

Being in Australia won't make the slightest bit of difference to the process, other than perhaps logistically if you were supposed to deal with the admionistration.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pomster
you can still inherit if their wills leave you money, but inheritance still applies (if applicable to the estate) as the assets are in UK.

No idea about selling up and going into a nursing home though
Thank you for your reply.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I can see no reason why the government would get the assets when there are living relatives. The assets would be distributed same way as normal. The executor of the will applies for probate, fills in the inheritance tax forms, liquidates the assets, pays of the liabilities including inheritance tax if there is any to pay and distributes the proceeds to the benefactors in the will.

If there is no will then somebody else (a close family member) applies for letters of administration and then carries out the role of the executor and distributes to family members according to the intestate rules.

Being in Australia won't make the slightest bit of difference to the process, other than perhaps logistically if you were supposed to deal with the admionistration.
Thats fab thanks for making it clear to me. Thanks again