Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK inheritance, Australian tax?

UK inheritance, Australian tax?

Old May 13th 2009, 1:58 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK inheritance, Australian tax?

My mother sadly passed away in March in UK and we are currently sorting out the settlement of her estate. We will probably receive the proceeds in September.

I live and work full time and own a house here in SA. If I import the money to Australia does anyone know if I will have to pay capital gains tax or any other tax here?

thanks if you reply

rab
Old May 13th 2009, 2:03 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK inheritance, Australian tax?

Originally Posted by rab
My mother sadly passed away in March in UK and we are currently sorting out the settlement of her estate. We will probably receive the proceeds in September. I live and work full time and own a house here in SA. If I import the money to Australia does anyone know if I will have to pay capital gains tax or any other tax here?
and by the way i know the exchange rate is currently fantastic but not so good if you are moving south. I am seriously thinking of going home to UK, is there any tax advantage if I do and leave the money there and just sell my house here and go before the exchange rate deteriorates?
Old May 13th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no inheritance tax in Oz so you should be ok.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

You'll be taxed on any bank interest earned but not sure if there are any other charges though
Old May 14th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

First sorry to hear you lost your mum.

Second, I think if you are seriously planning to return you may be better leaving the money there, exchange rate is awful and you will also be charged to move it over. Just my thoughts.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford to, leave the money in a UK bank for now - move it later, or as you need it.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
My mother sadly passed away in March in UK and we are currently sorting out the settlement of her estate. We will probably receive the proceeds in September.

I live and work full time and own a house here in SA. If I import the money to Australia does anyone know if I will have to pay capital gains tax or any other tax here?
Australia has no inheritance tax. If you inherit assets (any UK Inheritance Tax is levied on the estate, not beneficiary) there is no immediate tax to pay, however future income from the asset is taxable in principle, as are future capital gains.

As a broad principle. Detail, as always, will be much more complex and will depend on whether you are a temporary or permanent resident.
Old May 14th 2009, 11:33 am
rab
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your replies and those kind words too. It is sad of course and bereavement itself is even more difficult to deal with as a migrant.

All 3 of us (me, wife and toddler) are dual citizens, with blue and red passports. We are entirely taxed here. We are lucky that we can afford to leave the money in UK.

To be honest we are more likely to want to go back to UK than wait for the exchange rate to improve and stay here. That sort of a decision is a lot more fundamental than being just about tax.

I just wanted to check that we won't be double taxed in any way.

But there's one other question. Do I lose either of my tax free thresholds? In other words I will continue to be taxed here while I work here, but will I get any nil rate band in the UK on the first part of my future income there, or will I lose that and get taxed on every penny I earn of (mum's) house rent or interest?

I appreciate it if you have anything else to add.

rab
Old May 15th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
But there's one other question. Do I lose either of my tax free thresholds? In other words I will continue to be taxed here while I work here, but will I get any nil rate band in the UK on the first part of my future income there, or will I lose that and get taxed on every penny I earn of (mum's) house rent or interest?
If you continue to live and work in Australia but leave the money from your inheritance in a UK bank account ...

In the above scenario you are not liable to any UK tax on the UK bank interest. However, UK banks deduct tax automatically from bank interest until you inform them you are not liable. For that, you need to send form R85 to your bank (which tells them you are not liable to UK tax).

Somewhere on your bank's website will be the form (just put R85 in the "search" box and it should pop up). You can also downoload it from the UK taxman's website: www.hmrc.gov.uk

Once you've sent form R85 to your bank, they will pay all interest to you gross.

At the end of the Australian tax year, you declare the UK interest on your Australian tax return under "foreign income". If you were a bit slow in sending in form R85 and you ended up having some UK tax deducted from your UK interest, you declare that on your Aus tax form as well.

None of the above has any effect on your Aus tax free earnings amount or on your UK tax situation when you at some point move back to the UK.

If you are renting out your Mum's house and you do this through an estate agent who collects the rent for you, looks after the house etc, then the estate agent also has a form for you where you declare you are not liable for UK tax.

When you come to do your Aus tax return, you declare the rental income less allowable deductions again under "foreign income".

For the first Aus tax return after all of this has happened, you might want to get a tax agent to do it for you. Just to make sure you claim all the allowable deductions and get it all into the correct boxes in your tax return so you don't pay more tax than you have to.

One last thing: Before you dispose of all your Mum's things, search for the paperwork on when your Mum bought the house and how much she paid for it and keep that in a safe place. This will be needed when you come to sell the hosue for the capital gains tax calculation.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
One last thing: Before you dispose of all your Mum's things, search for the paperwork on when your Mum bought the house and how much she paid for it and keep that in a safe place. This will be needed when you come to sell the hosue for the capital gains tax calculation.
No; you are only liable to tax on any gain you make ie the increase over the probate value when you inherit it. So you just need to know probate value.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

markntracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that information it was really useful especially as so many people are putting off transfering money until the rate HOPEFULLY inproves.

One thing that crossed my mind however is whether as a PR in australia,are your savings are still covered by the british bank guarantees.

Mark and Tracy
Old May 15th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you continue to live and work in Australia but leave the money from your inheritance in a UK bank account ...

In the above scenario you are not liable to any UK tax on the UK bank interest. However, UK banks deduct tax automatically from bank interest until you inform them you are not liable. For that, you need to send form R85 to your bank (which tells them you are not liable to UK tax).

Somewhere on your bank's website will be the form (just put R85 in the "search" box and it should pop up). You can also downoload it from the UK taxman's website: www.hmrc.gov.uk

Once you've sent form R85 to your bank, they will pay all interest to you gross.

At the end of the Australian tax year, you declare the UK interest on your Australian tax return under "foreign income". If you were a bit slow in sending in form R85 and you ended up having some UK tax deducted from your UK interest, you declare that on your Aus tax form as well.

None of the above has any effect on your Aus tax free earnings amount or on your UK tax situation when you at some point move back to the UK.

If you are renting out your Mum's house and you do this through an estate agent who collects the rent for you, looks after the house etc, then the estate agent also has a form for you where you declare you are not liable for UK tax.

When you come to do your Aus tax return, you declare the rental income less allowable deductions again under "foreign income".

For the first Aus tax return after all of this has happened, you might want to get a tax agent to do it for you. Just to make sure you claim all the allowable deductions and get it all into the correct boxes in your tax return so you don't pay more tax than you have to.

Abbey refused to accept out R85 forms and told is instead that we could put the money in one of their tax free offshore accounts. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle of changing, so what UK tax we pay on it, we declare against the interest made on foreign investments on the Aus tax return.

As they don't double tax, you don't have to pay Aus tax on what you have already paid tax on in the UK.
Old May 16th 2009, 11:13 am
rab
Forum Regular

Fantastic info everyone many thanks, especially OzHappy, thanks.

I got some news today that the valuation of the estate is a lot less than we thought. I don't have the detail but I guess it's the house valuation and the equities that have suffered.

I have read back through this thread and it is all very factual. Can I just say that when and if you receive money from you parents' estate it is such a fantastic gift, completely unnecessary but very welcome. I am a later than average father and at 45 years old I now have a 19 month old daughter and my every wish is to make life brilliant for her and ease her way into life through whatever my wife and I can do as we grow older and care for her in every way including financially.

Good night,

rab
Old May 16th 2009, 11:51 am
Just Joined

jandal is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: UK inheritance, Australian tax?

Originally Posted by rab

thanks if you reply

rab
I manage my tax on line and one of the questions on the forms is have you received money as gifts etc. It would seem that your inheritance would be included in your annual taxable income and you would be taxed accordingly.
Old May 16th 2009, 12:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandal
I manage my tax on line and one of the questions on the forms is have you received money as gifts etc. It would seem that your inheritance would be included in your annual taxable income and you would be taxed accordingly.
A gift is not income and any interpretation that it is should be challenged as strongly as possible. See also:
http://www.ato.gov.au/youth/content....tent/48101.htm

"Amounts you receive as gifts or win as prizes are not usually treated as income."

Last edited by JAJ; May 16th 2009 at 12:29 pm.