Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

uk income tax and leaving

uk income tax and leaving

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:44 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default uk income tax and leaving

hi folks

just been pondering about leaving...compiling lists etc as you do...and I wondered about when would be the best time to leave the uk in regards to reclaiming income tax paid to the IR that year? I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that to be able to claim any tax back you need to have left the uk before 180 days into the tax year????
Does this make sense?

Sue
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:16 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk income tax and leaving

you get a personal allowance (PA), then there are tax bands with different rates of tax.

The PA & tax bands assume you work throughout the year, so, for example, 9 mths into the tax yr you will receive 9/12th of your PA, and taxed depending on your income on 9/12ths of the tax bands.

Thus if you leave before the end of the tax year (5 April & if you receive no further UK income) you will have not used up all of your PA, and made full use of all the tax bands.

As you are entitled to the full year PA & tax bands you will have overpaid you tax, and should be able to claim an amount back.

hope that makes sense.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:30 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax repayment on leaving the UK

Sue,

The form to complete is the P85, which is available here:
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm

Best regards.

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi folks

just been pondering about leaving...compiling lists etc as you do...and I wondered about when would be the best time to leave the uk in regards to reclaiming income tax paid to the IR that year? I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that to be able to claim any tax back you need to have left the uk before 180 days into the tax year????
Does this make sense?

Sue
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uk income tax and leaving

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi folks

Does this make sense?

Sue
Sue,

When I left work to go to Uni in Sept 2002 (more than 180 days in) I just phoned them up, they sent me the form and paid me fairly quickly what I had overpaid. I had no problems and they were pretty helpful.

Muzzman