Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK house market has gone very quiet

UK house market has gone very quiet

Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK house market has gone very quiet

Jaymac....Your right it does all depend on where you live, there are parts that are selling better than others in the SE...we are lucky our area is usually good, although there are loads of houses going up for sale that people are now spoilt for choice.

Dicko...What a nightmare I do really feel for you guys!! We have at least got time on our side as we`re still waiting for our visas. We do need the cash from the sale of our house as we needed to invest to gain the 5 bonus points but now have faced facts that we will have to get the cash on the mortgage.

Sackofspuds....We`re giving ourselves 2 wks (whilst changing agent) to think about reducing our house price due to the possible changes in the next few months

Cheers for advice and all the best for the house sales!!!

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Goodluck Sue x

We had to change estate agents too & they got results eventually(maybe they were fed up with hubby constantly moaning about the lack of viewings )anyway with the ups & downs we had,we got it sold in the end!!!

Now here i dread the thought of buying even though the systems different,we,ve rented for 12mths!

Thinking of you & hope for a sale soon x

Donna.

Hi Donna & thanks

Glad to see your getting on well What area are you living in?

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:34 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi all

Has enyone else found this since the new year? I know its not the best time to try to sell a house but we`re just not getting hardly any viewings
We have two couples that really like the house but cant sell their flats......its just so dead :scared:

We`ve just given our estate agents 2 weeks notice so we can try another to see if that helps?

Good luck to all those in the same situation

Sue x
It does seem to have gone a bit quiet for us here too. This is the first weekend since putting the house on the market back in October (excluding the Christmas period) that we haven't got a single viewing booked (there's still tomorrow I tell myself optimistically! )

Have had a really bad couple of weeks actually, had an offer one day and withdrawn the next then the next two viewings that were booked the people failed to show (doesn't everyone have a telephone these days or at least access to one? ). Very disillusioned at the moment - I was expecting the people that just wanted to come in, wear the carpets down a bit and have a bit of a nose but to make an appointment and then not bother to turn up is just rude.

You find yourself holding on to the slightest positive thing - the last viewer said he really liked it and would try to persuade the missus to come and have a look..... so we wait.......

The 'problem' with our house is the railway line that lies in a cutting beyond our back fence so I know where you are coming from with your comment about being on the main road. Everything sells at a price - it would just be nice to have an offer that lasts more than 24 hours.......

Binbird - may it all happen for all of us soon
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

kaznjeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen

Thats great news try to get things moving fast and get those papers exchanged.

All the best

Sue
hi sue, yes we will, are agent has been pretty good,kept us informed and always got feedback after viewings.

good luck with yours.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Binbird

I know what you mean, I`ve done a load of house work today......just incase someone books to have a look

Good luck

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

windaelicker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We live up in sunny scotland and ours sold within 10 days and as a bonus it went over asking price all we have to do now is find out when we are getting our visas.

Hope u get some better luck soon

G
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:25 pm
blossom

Unhappy Re: UK house market has gone very quiet

It's pretty much the same here in North East Lincolnshire. Our agent has managed to get us 2 viewings in 5 months !

Trouble is were tying to sell an unusual property, that is on two titles and next to a farm yard that is run down, but hopefully the farmer will get his development application through this year. However, all features that will put off a prospective purchaser.

Our daughter has got fed up of waiting and is now planning to go ahead of us, leaving at the end of March - oh well at least she can suss SE Qld out for us and hopefully it won't be too long before we can join her. But the reality as is, is making this whole relocation very stressful.

Good luck to everyone

Blossom

Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windaelicker
Hi

We live up in sunny scotland and ours sold within 10 days and as a bonus it went over asking price all we have to do now is find out when we are getting our visas.

Hope u get some better luck soon

G

Thats good going hope the sale all goes well

Good luck with your visas

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Blossom

It does really get you down does`nt it....hope you sell soon so you can all go out together. Our estate agent keeps saying it will pick up but the waiting is just a real pain especially for those that have a dead line.

Best of luck

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: UK house market has gone very quiet

Hi all

Has enyone else found this since the new year? I know its not the best time to try to sell a house but we`re just not getting hardly any viewings
We have two couples that really like the house but cant sell their flats......its just so dead :scared:

We`ve just given our estate agents 2 weeks notice so we can try another to see if that helps?

Good luck to all those in the same situation

Sue x
Hi Sue,
Hopefully the local market will pick up soon.

We are in a different position.I put the house on the market a week before Christmas not expecting any viewers until middle of January at the earliest. We got 2 viewers on the second day. Second couple decided to buy the house. We are exchanging contracts on Monday with completion for Friday. The purchasers they have sold their own house. Our situation is house sold but nowere to live
I know lots of people think it an enviable position, but we are having to pack the house up with our 2 daughters and only this weekend and after work till Thursday to do it. If I sound down its due to the fact that I am taking a break wondering how on earth I am going to pack the house (kitchen has taken 5 hours and only half done) but hey life is an adventure I keep saying to my daughters.
Best of Luck to you all.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Medici is an unknown quantity at this point

Without wishing to put a damper on people's expectations, nearly ALL the posts in this thread appear to be in serious denial of something rather fundamental. There are comments about changing agents, hurrying them along, or disbelief that your homes are somehow not selling, or that the market is "very slow".

I'm afraid the reality is that if your house is not selling that is because it is too expensive, but no one appears to be able to take this stark fact on board. It appears that you have all become attached to the fantasy that your properties will magically keep on inflating ad infinitum.

Just look at the current conditions: A surplus of properties for sale, Buy To Let speculators flooding the market, the highest personal debt on record, House Inflation now way out of sync with earnings, dubious economic indicators for the future.

And yet people in this thread still think they are going to achieve a sale probably based on an asking price which is in fantasy land.

The solution: LOWER YOUR PRICES.

Medici
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

kaznjeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Medici
Without wishing to put a damper on people's expectations, nearly ALL the posts in this thread appear to be in serious denial of something rather fundamental. There are comments about changing agents, hurrying them along, or disbelief that your homes are somehow not selling, or that the market is "very slow".

I'm afraid the reality is that if your house is not selling that is because it is too expensive, but no one appears to be able to take this stark fact on board. It appears that you have all become attached to the fantasy that your properties will magically keep on inflating ad infinitum.

Just look at the current conditions: A surplus of properties for sale, Buy To Let speculators flooding the market, the highest personal debt on record, House Inflation now way out of sync with earnings, dubious economic indicators for the future.

And yet people in this thread still think they are going to achieve a sale probably based on an asking price which is in fantasy land.

Medici

hi medici,
sad fact is your right we knocked £20k off ours,got an offer very soon after. truth is we HAVE to be realistic.
best of luck to all. karen :scared:
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:30 pm
blossom

Medici
Sorry Medici, but I at no time have quoted what my property is on the market for, but between you and I (and everyone else watching this thread) we have listed our house £85,000 less than a comparable property, that is not only smaller than ours but not as presentable either. So don't qualify your comments by telling us our house prices are inflated (what an ignorant and rude comment) - we are in the unfortunate position of not being in the first or second time around house buyers market. We will look to reduce the price further if we feel it necessary and at this stage if we reduce further it could put buyers off because they may think there is something wrong with the house, when indeed there is not.

Blossom

Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:37 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chippy dave
You,re right it does seem quiet even though our agent told us it was picking up

How,s this though i phoned ours up yesterday and had a grumble that we hav,nt had a viewing in over 3 months.Then we had a phone call 5 minutes later to say we have a lady who wants to view the house.Very odd don,t you think i wonder if they have people on standby just to keep us happy if they think we might go elsewhere.

dave

Hiya Dave,

Yes this is very odd and happened to us with both previous estate agents. I complained about no viewings and hey presto people booked. Most cancelled or just didn't turn up. I went into the office to give notice, 30 mins later a viewing was booked. When nothing came of this I actually told the estate agent that I thought they had a list of people in a little black book that they called on from time to time to boost their viewings. It didn't go down too well. They also called me with a viewing that could only take place 3 days after our contract was finished. They said if I accepted that I was bound to them for another period of time. I guessed that this was just a scam and turned the viewing down. Some might think I'm mad (yes I am most of the time) but if the guy was that interested he'd find us in another agents.
Got a new guy now who appears to be more genuine than the others, only with him a week and he has already done 2 viewings. Far better than the other 2 we have been with. It's a crap time but someone will buy soon, fingers, toes and everything else crossed. Good luck.
Sarah
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Medici

I`ve only gone with what the estate agent has said "the expert" (We infact put our house on under the price that the agent said to try to move things along) When looking around at the other propertys same as my house in my area we are not over priced at all.
We sold our house in October, 3 weeks after putting it on the market and had two couples bidding for it and got over the asking price, unfortunatly they lost their buyer for their flat so we are now back up for sale. If they sell we have our buyers back as they still want our house.

I`m changing agent due to the fact that there service is crap and would have found that out if we had`nt sold so soon.

I`m sure that most people that are selling and have posted on here are doing the same as we are and keep an eye on house prices around them....give people a little credit!!

Sue

Last edited by Sue2; Feb 5th 2005 at 5:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.