Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK house market has gone very quiet

UK house market has gone very quiet

Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK house market has gone very quiet

Hi all

Has enyone else found this since the new year? I know its not the best time to try to sell a house but we`re just not getting hardly any viewings
We have two couples that really like the house but cant sell their flats......its just so dead :scared:

We`ve just given our estate agents 2 weeks notice so we can try another to see if that helps?

Good luck to all those in the same situation

Sue x
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK house market has gone very quiet

Hi Sue .We have just had ours valued and the agents have said that the market is very slow at the moment.They are hopinng it will pick up Springtime.
We were also disppointed as our property rise was not as much as we expected.
We are in the same boat and will be selling in a few months too hopefully.
Good Luck
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:17 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi all

Has enyone else found this since the new year? I know its not the best time to try to sell a house but we`re just not getting hardly any viewings
We have two couples that really like the house but cant sell their flats......its just so dead :scared:

We`ve just given our estate agents 2 weeks notice so we can try another to see if that helps?

Sue x
Hi Sue,

I really hope you find a buyer soon!

We changed Estate Agents and got a buyer within a few weeks, so hopefully that will happen for you too!!!!

Shell
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys....the best of luck with the selling + sale I do hope it does pick up in the spring!! Its so different from when we first put it up for sale

Good luck

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

kaznjeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys....the best of luck with the selling + sale I do hope it does pick up in the spring!! Its so different from when we first put it up for sale

Good luck

Sue
hi all, we put our house on the market september last year,had quite a lot of viewings and they all loved it"but had there own to sell".
yesterday we accepted an offer . hooray! below asking price but,hey! lets get on with it! weve waited soooo long.!!
good luck to all you peeps on the market karen.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:24 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Sue

It's soo depressing when you're not getting ANY viewings.. Maybe you're right to change agents...a fresh new approach may give it the boost it needs.

whatever you decide to do....make sure you make your prescence felt by your agent on a regular basis
Get him to explain in detail frequently EXACTLY what he's doing to market your house. How many sets of details have been sent out...have they followed each one of them up to get feedback from them? What did they like....what was putting them off... Mine didn't like me hassling him over stuff like that because it meant he actually had to do something!
Only trouble is, you still feel like you're being fed a line all the time...which you probably are But at least your agent knows you're there and you're not going away until he's sold your house!!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

You,re right it does seem quiet even though our agent told us it was picking up

How,s this though i phoned ours up yesterday and had a grumble that we hav,nt had a viewing in over 3 months.Then we had a phone call 5 minutes later to say we have a lady who wants to view the house.Very odd don,t you think i wonder if they have people on standby just to keep us happy if they think we might go elsewhere.

dave
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:46 am
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

We are "up North" so it may be different here but it was really quiet Nov/Dec and then after Xmas it really picked up. We put ours for sale early Nov, a week later next-door-but one put theirs up, early Dec next door put their's up we thought we were never going to sell but in January we sold ours (actually got a bidding war going on!) and next-door-but-one sold theirs....maybe the trend will spread "down south"????

fingers crossed for you!

Carole
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kaznjeff
hi all, we put our house on the market september last year,had quite a lot of viewings and they all loved it"but had there own to sell".
yesterday we accepted an offer . hooray! below asking price but,hey! lets get on with it! weve waited soooo long.!!
good luck to all you peeps on the market karen.

Hi Karen

Thats great news try to get things moving fast and get those papers exchanged.

All the best

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by artep
Hiya Sue

It's soo depressing when you're not getting ANY viewings.. Maybe you're right to change agents...a fresh new approach may give it the boost it needs.

whatever you decide to do....make sure you make your prescence felt by your agent on a regular basis
Get him to explain in detail frequently EXACTLY what he's doing to market your house. How many sets of details have been sent out...have they followed each one of them up to get feedback from them? What did they like....what was putting them off... Mine didn't like me hassling him over stuff like that because it meant he actually had to do something!
Only trouble is, you still feel like you're being fed a line all the time...which you probably are But at least your agent knows you're there and you're not going away until he's sold your house!!

Hi

We are hoping that the new agent will help.....I always contacted our last one, I think I got on his nerves but his service was great at first and since the new year seems to have changed?? The problem we have with our house is that it is on a main road, we`ve had alot of interest but its putting some off.....just got to hang in there.

As always thanks for your support

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Chippydave ...that just makes me so it has happened to us a few times. There has been so many houses going up for sale around here that I felt that we`ve been a bit forgotten.....all the best.

Great news Carole all the best with your house sale, hope it all goes smoothly

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cagandchris
We are "up North" so it may be different here but it was really quiet Nov/Dec and then after Xmas it really picked up. We put ours for sale early Nov, a week later next-door-but one put theirs up, early Dec next door put their's up we thought we were never going to sell but in January we sold ours (actually got a bidding war going on!) and next-door-but-one sold theirs....maybe the trend will spread "down south"????

fingers crossed for you!

Carole
I think that even amongst the different regions there are pockets where houses move well and others don't. I live in an an area in the North East and we have had our 4 bedroomed detached up for sale since September. We have had NO viewings and our house is realistically priced in comparison to others on the estate. The problem is that the area is full of 4 bedroomed detached houses and a lot of them are up for sale. There have been no Sold signs on this estate since August last year.

Just holding out for the Spring Rush!!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: UK house market has gone very quiet

Hi all

Sue x

Hey Sue
We know exactly how you feel, it is getting us really down and taking the shine off what should be a really exciting time

It is the uncertainty that annoys us, with timewasters etc.
We need to validate by May 10th, my boss is pressuring me into giving him a date, and we need to get flights booked, and the shippers need a month so it is depressing at the moment, and it is all down to the house situation.
We have reduced our house price drastically now in the hope of getting it sold

Anyway good luck with yours and will keep you posted on ours.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

In a stagant/falling market, bear in mind you need to market for a price that will still be attractive in 3 months time, otherwise you run the risk of the market having fallen by the time it takes to sell and your buyers pulling out.

IMHO I think we're in for a crash, but then again I've thought that since 2003. Average wages and average house prices are just out of sync. Same in Oz.

One other interesting point is that the Nationwide's house price index showed a 0.6% rise in Jan. The thing is, the non-seasonally adjusted price had stayed static. The 0.6% rise was purely the result of seasonal adjustment. From Feb onwards the seasonal adjustment works the other way. In other words, if prices don't pick up in Feb then Nationwide's index will show a small decrease. The seasonal adjustment gets bigger each month as we head towards Spring/Summer, so a static market will show up as falls in the index. This will, presumably, put off buyers.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:09 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck Sue x

We had to change estate agents too & they got results eventually(maybe they were fed up with hubby constantly moaning about the lack of viewings )anyway with the ups & downs we had,we got it sold in the end!!!

Now here i dread the thought of buying even though the systems different,we,ve rented for 12mths!

Thinking of you & hope for a sale soon x

Donna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.