Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK High Schools or Australian High Schools

UK High Schools or Australian High Schools

Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:46 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK High Schools or Australian High Schools

Originally Posted by riccardo1888
Yeah we are rural also. The uk puts unwanted pressure for fashion and definetly creates bullying.

In oz most formal uniforms can be cringeworthy so fashion is out the window anyway hehe
Fashion wise I dont see any difference at all, as I said we are rural and school kids around here dont seem obsessed by fashion. In the cities and even the towns I doubt there would be any difference in the 2 countries.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Shipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really nice

I find that oz schools are behind in education. U.K. schools are miles ahead however a national curriculum is currently being worked on in Oz.

A plus side to Oz is they're is more physical education and being outdoors plus no pressure to wear or spirt high fashion designer shoes, bags etc.

That's my view I hope it helps.
Hi. I'm just wondering why you think that "oz schools are behind in education. U.K. schools are miles ahead". Is this just a personal observation or do you have any information to back up this statement. Cheers.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes my daughters are covering course work in year 6 that she had already done a year and a half earlier which resulted in her being moved up a year again. She is now covering the course work I'd say 80% new stuff and 20% she has still done. My youngest daughter was learning things in year 1 that her nursery has been teaching her since she was 3.

I'm not complaining about it, if anything I'm glad they knew a bit in advance however I can only tell it as I have experienced it.

I think a national curriculum will help, when it gets released.

As I said, that's my experience anyway
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Shipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really niceShipton is just really nice

Yes my daughters are covering course work in year 6 that she had already done a year and a half earlier which resulted in her being moved up a year again. She is now covering the course work I'd say 80% new stuff and 20% she has still done. My youngest daughter was learning things in year 1 that her nursery has been teaching her since she was 3.

I'm not complaining about it, if anything I'm glad they knew a bit in advance however I can only tell it as I have experienced it.

May I ask which state you are in please?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with you that there is a bit of a gap in the primary school years. Remember they start school later here, and it isn't so driven to teach to the tests as in the UK, although there is Naplan testing. The curriculum is broader too rather than the narrow focus on academic subjects that was the case for us when DD was going through primary school in the UK.

HOWEVER, certainly in the later senior school years it tends to even itself up- at least from the experience we have had in NSW. I can't obviously speak for other states. They also finish Y12 earlier than the UK. DD is off to Uni on monday, whereas her friend in the UK won't start until September/October.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought:
You don't need to work hard to pass exams at secondary level...you just need to be equipped to deal with learning in a school environment : parents contribute a lot to this. A child has to want to do it, of course.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

:
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Just a thought:
You don't need to work hard to pass exams at secondary level...you just need to be equipped to deal with learning in a school environment : parents contribute a lot to this. A child has to want to do it, of course.

Totally agree

Last edited by Shipton; Feb 28th 2014 at 9:38 am.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I would agree with you that there is a bit of a gap in the primary school years. Remember they start school later here, and it isn't so driven to teach to the tests as in the UK, although there is Naplan testing. The curriculum is broader too rather than the narrow focus on academic subjects that was the case for us when DD was going through primary school in the UK.

HOWEVER, certainly in the later senior school years it tends to even itself up- at least from the experience we have had in NSW. I can't obviously speak for other states. They also finish Y12 earlier than the UK. DD is off to Uni on monday, whereas her friend in the UK won't start until September/October.
Agree with this too. As I said previously my kids switched between both education systems ie to UK and then back to Australia with a minimum of effort. It was more a matter of certain subjects were at different stages but the transitions were no problem. But I am talking about from Sydney to Oxford and back so I can't talk about other States.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Agree. It depends on how much the student wants to work in high school (and boys in particular don't always see the urgency in putting in that extra effort through these high school years) and I guess as long as they get the marks they need to get into the university course or whatever else they decide to do, this is the main point.

Remember that the English school year starts in September and the Aussie one starts at end of January. This obviously makes a difference to what year the student goes in to.

Last edited by Shipton; Feb 28th 2014 at 9:44 am.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shipton
It appears that Qld has a totally different system altogether. In NSW it isn't complicated at all so guess you should come to NSW.

Hmm, that's just what my Aussie cousin said.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shipton
Agree. (and boys in particular don't always see the urgency in putting in that extra effort through these high school years)

Very true, I have two teen boys, one who I would call average academically but a genius in science and one who is academically bright but lazy! ARGHHHHHHH! It's so frustrating, all they care about right now is sport!

They are so blazé about school work, it drives me insane!

I mean what are you supposed to do with teen boys like that? Seriously.......
I know what I'd like to do with them...
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Very true, I have two teen boys, one who I would call average academically but a genius in science and one who is academically bright but lazy! ARGHHHHHHH! It's so frustrating, all they care about right now is sport!

They are so blazé about school work, it drives me insane!

I mean what are you supposed to do with teen boys like that? Seriously.......
I know what I'd like to do with them...
you can lead a horse to water.......
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
you can lead a horse to water.......
I had three boys (and a girl at North Sydney Girls) and two boys were at a top selective school (North Sydney Boys). At the Year 12 farewell dinner, all the parents on our table (all the boys were friends) were looking back on the five years at the school and saying it was a great school but that their boys hadn't worked particularly hard, were more interested in going surfing (some of them) and were pretty laid back as far as the school work went etc etc. We all asked the same questions - what is it with boys!!!!!! But they had made lifetime friends, loved school and had a wonderful time and they all got into the university courses they wanted and went on to do extremely well in their chosen careers. So guess that was all I could ask.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

...And with the ATAR system out here if you are good at sport you can get up to 5 bonus points, which will help you get to uni.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

...And with the ATAR system out here if you are good at sport you can get up to 5 bonus points, which will help you get to uni.
What State is that in and please what is the ATAR system? In NSW, being good at sport has nothing to do with getting into Uni.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.