Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Hi Fi / TV / Games machines in Oz

UK Hi Fi / TV / Games machines in Oz

Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Nixxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Hi Fi / TV / Games machines in Oz

First off apologies if this has been covered before, I did a search and couldnt come up with anything.

Any Hi Fi buffs who have carted their set up over to Oz ?

I have quite a few bits and pieces I would like to take to Oz, stuff I have collected over the past 20 years and I'm loathed to flog it on e-bay for a pittance and then replace it in Oz.

I have been advised that I can run the PS3 in Oz as the games are region free, I just need to replace the power cable, my daughter has a wii, will this be be OK I'm not aware if this machine is region free or not.

As for the Hi Fi, I have various seperates, like Amp, AV Amp, casette deck, CD players, EQ, + about 11 speakers I want to take, I would assume the Hi Fi will be fine, just a case of replacing the power cables again ?
The one piece I think I will have to sell is the DAB radio seperate, can anyone advise if they have DAB radio in Oz, if so anyone using a UK DAB radio over there, i'm pretty sure it's a no go.

Lastly we have a 2 UK DVD players which I know will only run region 2 dvd's we take with us, other than the region issue will they be compatible with Australian TV's, I will be leaving the CRT behind as its too big and heavy but we have a fairly new 26" Lcd in the bedroom we would like to take I have been told there can be issues with UK TV's in general, what's the score

Does anyone have experience of the above that they could share with me.

Many Thanks

Nixxy
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Hi Fi / TV / Games machines in Oz

Originally Posted by Nixxy View Post
First off apologies if this has been covered before, I did a search and couldnt come up with anything.

Any Hi Fi buffs who have carted their set up over to Oz ?

I have quite a few bits and pieces I would like to take to Oz, stuff I have collected over the past 20 years and I'm loathed to flog it on e-bay for a pittance and then replace it in Oz.

I have been advised that I can run the PS3 in Oz as the games are region free, I just need to replace the power cable, my daughter has a wii, will this be be OK I'm not aware if this machine is region free or not.

As for the Hi Fi, I have various seperates, like Amp, AV Amp, casette deck, CD players, EQ, + about 11 speakers I want to take, I would assume the Hi Fi will be fine, just a case of replacing the power cables again ?
The one piece I think I will have to sell is the DAB radio seperate, can anyone advise if they have DAB radio in Oz, if so anyone using a UK DAB radio over there, i'm pretty sure it's a no go.

Lastly we have a 2 UK DVD players which I know will only run region 2 dvd's we take with us, other than the region issue will they be compatible with Australian TV's, I will be leaving the CRT behind as its too big and heavy but we have a fairly new 26" Lcd in the bedroom we would like to take I have been told there can be issues with UK TV's in general, what's the score

Does anyone have experience of the above that they could share with me.

Many Thanks

Nixxy
PS3 works fine in OZ, so does the Wii. Your Hi Fi will work fine when you go to Bunnings and get some plugs and change them over.

Why not do a search on the internet for region free codes for your dvd, they are quite common, I have an LG DVD player, and found out how to make it region free using just the remote control buttons.

If your TV has options to change the language from English to Spain or Dutch, then you can do that and it should work okay, if not you can take it with you and buy a Set Top Box in OZ and it will then work okay.

Hope this helps

Bobby
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:01 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Caution - Some UK HiFi's will not work in Australia. Some of the audio processors in the European machines don't like 90's Australian Rock

Al
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond reputeebo1608 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nixxy View Post

Lastly we have a 2 UK DVD players which I know will only run region 2 dvd's we take with us, other than the region issue will they be compatible with Australian TV's, I will be leaving the CRT behind as its too big and heavy but we have a fairly new 26" Lcd in the bedroom we would like to take I have
Nixxy
DAB radios leave. UK DABs will pick-up the crappy trial they are doing, about 6 stations, but when the rollout comes? you will not be able to use your UK DAB radio. FIL was over 2 years ago and took a Pure Evoke back with him. He is due in Sept and can take the other one back this time!

Re DVD players check here for hacks http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Re 26" and CRT (I would bring) some TVs can pick-up the Aus PAL signal others can't. If not, then you need a digital set-top-box. If you have widescreen TVs then you need a digital box anyway (to get a widescreen signal) for the free view service or a box for the paid satellite (Foxtel)/cable(Foxtel & Optus) service. Then connect the box to the tv via scart/s-video/component.

BTW, the free view service is not the same as the UK in that you only get the main channels ABC1, ABC2, SBS, , 9, 10. They are starting to do HD services but you won't get the multitude of channels you get in the UK. On the plus side they use more bandwidth for the channel so the picture is a lot crisper. The programming is pretty dire http://guides.news.com.au/television...tion=restofday. Nice people support The Bombers, Essendon . There is a lot of Aussie Rules on free tv.

Here is a forum for discussing things A-V Australian http://www.dtvforum.info/

You can also make your PC DVD region-free http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239 then http://tdb.rpc1.org/ for region-free firmware.

If you can't hack your DVD players this is worth buying to copy to region-free http://www.dvdfab.com/. So rent a region 4 DVD and copy it. Having watched it you should strictly throw it away.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nixxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I would intend signing up for Foxtel for the Premiershp, I know what you mean about the lack of channels in Oz, I was suprised at the handful of music channels on Foxtel compared to the 40 or so we have here, hardly the end of the world though.

Assuming I wont have issues with power tools either, just change the plugs.

BigApe, I wouldn't allow it through my speakers anyway