British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK HGV LICENSE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-hgv-license-919883/)

ryantccummimgs Dec 3rd 2018 8:26 pm

UK HGV LICENSE

Evening all - I hope your all well!

My name is Ryan & I’m 24 born & bred in the UK!

I wonder if you could give me some advice as I can’t seem to find a definitive answer...

My fiancée & I are coming to Australia in January 2019 hoping to secure a job before we arrive. However, the answer I need is as follows... I currently hold a HGV Class 2 (Rigid) license here in the UK, is this license valid to use & drive trucks in Australia? If yes fantastic! If no, can I have some information on what I need to do to be able to drive trucks?

Thank you in advance!
Ry :D

Dorothy Dec 3rd 2018 9:09 pm

Re: UK HGV LICENSE

Originally Posted by ryantccummimgs (Post 12603595)

I wonder if you could give me some advice as I can’t seem to find a definitive answer...

My fiancée & I are coming to Australia in January 2019 hoping to secure a job before we arrive. However, the answer I need is as follows... I currently hold a HGV Class 2 (Rigid) license here in the UK, is this license valid to use & drive trucks in Australia? If yes fantastic! If no, can I have some information on what I need to do to be able to drive trucks?

Thank you in advance!

What state sre you going to? And what visa are you coming with? Both of those will have a bearing on whether you can exchange your licence or not.

ryantccummimgs Dec 3rd 2018 9:23 pm

I have no idea! We’re open to anything really! We’re coming in a working holiday 417 visa!

Dorothy Dec 4th 2018 12:20 am

Originally Posted by ryantccummimgs (Post 12603626)
I have no idea! We’re open to anything really! We’re coming in a working holiday 417 visa!

Then you will need to look at each individual state's licensing requirements .
​​

moneypenny20 Dec 4th 2018 4:00 am

You're coming on a WHV so there is no way you can find work before you get here. The point of a WHV is to travel around the country working and having fun. To get work up front would require sponsorship from a company and that costs them money and isn't going to happen. Unless it's changed, no State/Territory will automatically transfer an HGV licence. A bog standard driving licence yes but if you're on a Temp visa (which you are) you can stay on the UK licence. To get an Aus HGV (can't remember the correct code) you'll have to have training and a test. If you do find work, it can only be for a maximum of 6 montths.

SoCalDon Dec 5th 2018 9:05 pm

I obtained my QLD drivers license in 2013 and all they allowed me to transfer from England was my car and motorcycle licenses. I have an HGV1 in England and a bus license in America but, sadly, it was not allowed. :(

ozzieeagle Dec 6th 2018 8:24 pm

You might, I say might, be able to change to a HR licence in Vic by doing a days course..... Jumping a couple of grades in their system. It's worth phoning this mob, to see what they say.

In fact I'm sure you will be able to, but it will cost you 800 bucks. Well worth it probably, as it would be a fantastic networking exercise....

Licences - TDT Australia

I think you really need to talk to these people, as you never know you could actually get a more "certificated" licence than you have currently.

Sheet loads of cash in hand jobs in this industry if you know the right people ;) Lots of tipper work in Victoria at present, you'll walk into a job easily.

They wont like me saying that on here though.

moneypenny20 Dec 7th 2018 3:38 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12605122)
You might, I say might, be able to change to a HR licence in Vic by doing a days course..... Jumping a couple of grades in their system. It's worth phoning this mob, to see what they say.

In fact I'm sure you will be able to, but it will cost you 800 bucks. Well worth it probably, as it would be a fantastic networking exercise....

Licences - TDT Australia

I think you really need to talk to these people, as you never know you could actually get a more "certificated" licence than you have currently.

Sheet loads of cash in hand jobs in this industry if you know the right people ;) Lots of tipper work in Victoria at present, you'll walk into a job easily.

They wont like me saying that on here though.

No one's saying he won't, can't or shouldn't get work. Only that any work he gets can only, if wishing to stay legal, last six months. Suggesting illegal behaviour is not something BE condones obviously.

BadgeIsBack Dec 10th 2018 10:19 am

I got a HR license in WA, about 16 years ago, in about 3 days from memory. My UK license got transferred to a Car license easily enough in a few hours of sitting around the local RTA - and then I took a test and acquired a HR learners' permit. A HR license was about 4h tuition at a school followed by a 30min test which I scraped through by the skin of my teeth. HR also used to open up jobs in the mines - I got a job 1d after getting the license. Those were halycon days!

HR is probably the starting point - prime mover territory. Then HC and MC.

Chris N Lora Dec 20th 2018 5:08 am

Thank you in advance!

I have a UK Class 1, when I arrived, they permitted me to get a free HR licence in NSW .. however I had to do a 1 day course for my HC over here .. do a Haz Per test , but no medical .... also, over here there is no Digi Card or CPC .. they have a log book but only used if travelling over 100km (60 miles) as the crow flies...

The Bloke Dec 30th 2018 4:20 am

Thank you in advance!

I can’t comment on licensing except to say contact the relevant state transport authority, but FYI, importantly there is now a greater emphasis on safety in the trucking industry in Australia as it has the highest death rate of all occupations. If the vehicle you are operating has a gvm, or combined gvm of over 12.0 tonnes, you will also need to purchase a National Drivers Work Diary from the relevant NHVR state transport authority (or the Western Australia/Northern Territory diary if moving there) and comply with the heavy vehicle fatigue regulations. Another good suggestion is to browse through the “Load Restraints Guide 2018” that is published by the National Transport Commision, and Gazette Notices if applicable, and fines/penalties published on www.nhvr.gov.au.