Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Genealogy records (available in Brisbane?)

UK Genealogy records (available in Brisbane?)

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default UK Genealogy records (available in Brisbane?)

A long shot , but there may be a small possibility that someone may know.

Does anyone know of any place in Brisbane where I can lay my hands on UK counties record discs. I.e. for pre 1837 ( before BMD) monumental indexes, plus I want the 1841/51/61 census for a few of the different counties. Is there any genealogy associations here in the Brisbane region that have records for the counties of the UK. .. or maybe an online site where I can buy the discs here instead of having them all sent from the UK history societies

Just asking before I fork out for a load to be sent from Britain. I have found one site in Aus which has the 71 census.. but that's no good to me, except for getting more siblings . I need the burial indexes the old records Pre 1837 monumental inscriptions , marriage etc from the parishes

Does any library in Brisbane hold these discs, records.. where you can rent or buy.

I'm at that point I need full access to the old records (pre census and pre BMD/1837) ... i.e. 1500 /1600/1700 parish records and monumental inscriptions for certain areas. (online sites, such as the federation of family history sociecty, which you pay ( or even the free IGI) to look at some records online are not good enough, I've exhausted them.. found all the people I'm going to find with them, there are not enough submissions in their data bases)

In other words is there any really good genealogy shops, library, clubs in the Brisbane area where I can buy, rent or browse a few records/discs? Or any online shop here in Aus which have a very good variety of this type of thing.

I can't find anything except soem club in the GC.. which seems no good to me .

cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:46 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: UK Genealogy records (available in Brisbane?)

Originally posted by Ceri

Does any library in Brisbane hold these discs, records.. where you can rent or buy.

I dont know, but I will certainly ask at my local library for you in case they know something (its quite small so they probably have anything, but may have a clue where/if it is available).

Sounds like quite a challenge you have on your hands here
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Genealogy records (available in Brisbane?)

Originally posted by mlbonner
I dont know, but I will certainly ask at my local library for you in case they know something (its quite small so they probably have anything, but may have a clue where/if it is available).

Sounds like quite a challenge you have on your hands here
I can get the stuff from the UK, but if I can get it here.. I'd rather that, than having it sent from over there.

It's addictive.. I've gone the furthest with Hubby's family ... earliest one so far - 1648 "jerimah John"..lol.. it gets confusing when it's Abraham Abraham.. another one of his ..lol ( in Wales the further you go back the christian name is passed onto the child becoming the surname).. stupid g*ts.. they are making it hard for me. Mine don't want to be found.. I've only gone back to 1823 on one line, and the other 1783.. and my irish lot ( my mum's lot.. well the Irish burnt down the records as all good irish people would do..lol - they probably didn't want anyone digging up their history/dirt)

Cheers for that
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Ceri,

My dad is right into this - we got back to 1600 something, but I believe he also has run aground at that point, but he's always buying new stuff. If he's got anything useful I could cut a copy.

Thankfully we found no Welsh descendents (only on the wifes side), but did uncover some Irish connection.

anyhoo I'll check with my dad and see.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 4:01 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Ceri

Try these guys, they claim to have overseas stuff:

http://www.qfhs.org.au/library_holdings.htm

another:

http://www.gsq.org.au/default.html

Last edited by jayr; Aug 3rd 2004 at 4:08 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 4:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by RichS

Thankfully we found no Welsh descendents (only on the wifes side), but did uncover some Irish connection.

ahh you're a foreigner then lol!!! Poor sod. Being welsh is a true briton.. I feel so sorry for you, never mind we can't all be perfect

Anyway thanks rich... ( and I would be greatful for your dad's input) it really is addictive, Amazing what you dig up ( mum-in-law who is right snob... her grandmother was unmarried... I love it!, and was in a workhouse with child.. you'd laugh if you knew how snobby my mum-in-law is ) .

I'm into the 1600's with a lot of the lines..hubby's side mostly. it's getting difficult now.

I can only trace my dads side . which I'm doing and gone back , and back ( my mum I can't., except for what I know... ie the tree being handed down.. she's Irish)

Thanks jayr I'll have a good look through the links , to see if they can help me.

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 4th 2004 at 2:08 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ceri, do you need more info than the online IGI gives you? Or is it that you cant get back further as the info isnt there? The LDS have libraries where you can go & order specific things & view them after they have been sent from the repository. They have a huge collection of stuff available for viewing. The library is (or used to be!) at Kangaroo Point, Ive been there a few times, I'll have a scout around & see if I can find the address & contact numbers for you.

If its just a case of that you have hit a brick wall & cant get any further back, then sometimes that just happens. Many things werent registered or recorderd properly back then, records have been destroyed etc, sometimes you just have to resign yourself to the fact that you cant get back any further & then spend more time working on the people that you have found.

Apart from that I would try the GSQ, I used to be a member when I did it more often than I do now & they have a large range of records on CD & microfishe that you can go in & use.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Aug 3rd 2004 at 6:53 am.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Ceri, do you need more info than the online IGI gives you? Or is it that you cant get back further as the info isnt there? The LDS have libraries where you can go & order specific things & view them after they have been sent from the repository. They have a huge collection of stuff available for viewing. The library is (or used to be!) at Kangaroo Point, Ive been there a few times, I'll have a scout around & see if I can find the address & contact numbers for you.

If its just a case of that you have hit a brick wall & cant get any further back, then sometimes that just happens. Many things werent registered or recorderd properly back then, records have been destroyed etc, sometimes you just have to resign yourself to the fact that you cant get back any further & then spend more time working on the people that you have found.

Apart from that I would try the GSQ, I used to be a member when I did it more often than I do now & they have a large range of records on CD & microfishe that you can go in & use.
I need more info than what's available online. On most of the lines ( my hubby's mostly)I'm into the early 1600's with the tree- Burial and marriage indexes go way back in some parishes. The Monumental indexes some of them around 1200.. marriage and burial indexes 1500's .
I've found a load from The federation of family history deaths and marriages indexes in the 1600's and 1700's ( pay per view... 5p for the indexes, and around 20 odd p for 41 census) .. they are an organisation where the different family history societies ( like for instance the Glamorgan society) gives them the info, the money goes back to these individual societies who have compiled this info on CD's including the different census's 41/51 etc.http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/database/index.shtml

The Mormon site (LSD's) I have found that some of the submissions for the IGI are full of mistakes... and need to be really checked out. I have found countless mistakes. Take for instance one of the rellies way back, according to their submissions they reckoned the wife's maiden name was "short" .. wrong it was "Long" for hundred per cent sure.. these records which are submitted are full of errors.. mistakes by the person (s) who have submitted them.

I didn't know that there is an LSD library/out post here.
If you have the address for at Kangaroo point .. that would be great!
I'll also have a look at the GSQ.

It would be nice to just go somewhere here and look through the records.. as it is now I'm relying on online sites such as the pay per view federation of family history for the very early ones in the 1600/1500, the free LSD's, 1837 http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/ ( for all the original BMD 1837 onwards books/entries.. as the free BMD is too incomplete, but that's ok for the odd few rellies)

I was going to have a load of the discs sent out from the Glamorgan society.. I need lots, Carmarthen, Glamorgan etc.. the registers of the Monumental burial indexes, the burial indexes, the marriage indexes.. all these can reach back into the 1500's, 1400's and even 1200's for a few

Cheers

( edit LSD's LOL .. LDS I meant.. mind you LSD's could be a more appropriate name for some of them )

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 4th 2004 at 3:08 am.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

The one I used to use at Kangaroo Point must have moved to Cooparoo now (next suburb), it used to be right near the TAFE College at KP, but its no longer listed. Heres a link to a list in Brisbane/Qld, you can use the closest (theres one out your way) & they will order in the info for you (sometimes it has to come from o/s so it may take a short while & theres usually a small fee).

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Libr...rov=Queensland

But its probably alot more reliable than the online one which, as you said, can be full of mistakes.

It doesnt only happen very far back or in o/s stuff either, no one could find my great grandfathers birth certificate (b.1882 in Grafton), wild stories flew about including that he'd changed his name, was a bastard (& that was being nice to him apparently ) etc etc. Nothing interesting though, they just didnt have him on the microfishe copies of NSW BD&M, so he *seemed* to not exist.

Have you tried these online searches as well?

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/

You might find something there that will help.

Good luck.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:38 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
The one I used to use at Kangaroo Point must have moved to Cooparoo now (next suburb), it used to be right near the TAFE College at KP, but its no longer listed. Heres a link to a list in Brisbane/Qld, you can use the closest (theres one out your way) & they will order in the info for you (sometimes it has to come from o/s so it may take a short while & theres usually a small fee).

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Libr...rov=Queensland

But its probably alot more reliable than the online one which, as you said, can be full of mistakes.

It doesnt only happen very far back or in o/s stuff either, no one could find my great grandfathers birth certificate (b.1882 in Grafton), wild stories flew about including that he'd changed his name, was a bastard (& that was being nice to him apparently ) etc etc. Nothing interesting though, they just didnt have him on the microfishe copies of NSW BD&M, so he *seemed* to not exist.

Have you tried these online searches as well?

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/

You might find something there that will help.

Good luck.
Yes I've used them all in the past . I don't really need the 1837 BMD.. I've got all official Births for the rellies dating from 1837. I'm looking before that now. Monumental burial inscriptions, marriage and burial indexes pre 1837 from the different parishes.
The free BMD is nowhere near complete, found a few of them on there in the past , but I had to use the pay for 1837com site to look at the registers to find all my recent rellies .. ie 1837 onwards..( they have the complete scanned registers from 1837 onwards)

Didn't know there was one in Deadcliffe.. well I never! look out here I come lol . I may go and have a nose on Saturday( mind you I'm bit worried about going to the Mormons.. they won't try and bring me, a humble atheist into their religion will they , try to save me or something? lol - I'm beyond saving)
Anyway thanks very much for that
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:27 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hiya Ceri and mrs d!!
well, mrs d got me hooked tracing my family tree a while back and I too have found the mormons site pretty much useless. On the one or two I HAVE found on it, there were errors with spelling surnames and parents first names. I gave up trying to find anything.
interesting about your irish roots....i too have drawn a blank with my lot - turns out they were tinkers/gypseys, so no chance of finding owt unless a family bible turns up!! they all seem to have had so many kids.......14 in one family!!!
anyway, good luck with it!!

sue
Old Aug 5th 2004, 3:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hiya Ceri and mrs d!!
well, mrs d got me hooked tracing my family tree a while back and I too have found the mormons site pretty much useless. On the one or two I HAVE found on it, there were errors with spelling surnames and parents first names. I gave up trying to find anything.
interesting about your irish roots....i too have drawn a blank with my lot - turns out they were tinkers/gypseys, so no chance of finding owt unless a family bible turns up!! they all seem to have had so many kids.......14 in one family!!!
anyway, good luck with it!!

sue
I can go back 6 generations with my mum.. the female line of her side . The Irish like the jews tend to take their family through the women - for obvious reasons ( no disputing the mother of a child is there).

This was handed down.. ie we know who we are. We're a bit posh on that side ( didn't rub off on me though..lol) . My ancestors ( ie my great great grandmother was Lady white.. sister of George white apparently.. her father my great, great, great grandfather .. think I'm getting my greats right here was George's father.. obviously.. making him my great whatever uncle ). My mums father only three generations I have.

Anyone with Irish roots has a job cut out for them. My mum is planning a trip back to her old home town in Ireland to do a bit of scouting around. It helps if you know the church they belonged to. You can go to that church group for help. We are lucky we have that info.

I can't really research that tree at all from here in aus... I think you need to actually go over to Ireland to search through the parish records of the individual churches.

The LDS site is good for a tool only.. I have found plenty of people with them.. but I have doubled checked things - never take anything as fact.. double check the parish ( christening/baptisms/marriages) records if you can get yours.

A lot of the rellies I'm tracing are from Glamorgan.. i.e. hubby's side and my dads side.. the Glamorgan society has very good records. They have compiled a lot of the pre 1837 births , marriages etc from the churches. They also go around all the grave yards.. and take down the inscriptions of the headstones.. so hence you have a burial index ( which is records from church registers).. and a burial monumental inscription ( taken off the very old gravestones).

It really is like one giant cryptic crossword. There is no easy way to trace your family. it takes a lot of time, and solving.

I've actually just ordered a few birth certs for some of mine -- to double check. and to get my gran's ( my fathers mother) her grandmothers name ( they are not on a census.. they were law breakers )

what are you having trouble with? if it's any of your rellies in Britian ( not Ireland) who are born after 1837.. you can get their birth certificates ( if you find them in the BMD.. ie volume and page number) to see who their parents are before them ( mothers maiden name etc)

... yes they all had big families in those days .. one of my hubbies lot had 12 kids what we know of from the census.. that's not counting the ones who died, or didn't appear in the census. Those poor women must have been constantly pregnant in those days.. no wonder they didn't last long.

There is some sort of book/census/cd's.. strays, you can buy on travelers in those days ( tinkers) .. I saw it on one of my searches.. because my dads mum, her mum's mum I have a feeling, from certain evidence/things she's a gypsy. .. My gran ( dad's mum) when she was alive she used to say odd things about her grandmother.. mind you she was odd.. my dads mum..lol ( runs in the family..lol .. perhaps I should get the ouija board out..lol!)

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 5th 2004 at 3:54 am.