Reload this Page >

UK Gasfitter - Quals not recognised by PGDB of NZ

UK Gasfitter - Quals not recognised by PGDB of NZ

Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Unhappy UK Gasfitter - Quals not recognised by PGDB of NZ

First post here!
Am a time served city and guilds plumber and gasfitter - 25 years experience. ACS assessments for CORGI just renewed last Oct 2004.
We are hoping to go out to NZ , live , work , be happy.
Plumbing Gas and Drainlaying board of NZ will recognise my quals to plumb ,& after November exams register me to plumb.
However, they have decided not to recognise my quals for gas and have suggested an apprenticeship for me at 44yrs of age.
They are unable to tell me where my gas stuff is not good enough, .
i.e. C&G, ACS, work exp. etc.
We have heard there are problems being found by tradespeople in having their trade qualifications recognised by the immigration service.
We have fallen down with the trade board.

Can anyone throw some light on what is needed for being eligible to be registered as a gasfitter in NZ, within the NZs recognition of UK qualifications framework.

thank you anyone out there for your help.

Apollo10
Old Apr 16th 2004, 7:22 am
Just Joined

mischief is an unknown quantity at this point

Just logged into the site. Dont know if you have sorted out your problem. I am also a Gas Fitter.Plumber with same qualifications. I got registered ok. The only difference may be is that I had a job offer! If you are still thinking about it my boss is looking for another uk plumber/gas fitter for the Auckland area. Could be a posibility. If not I know of an agency who could get you a job.

Interested!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 7:42 am
`

Thanks for the reply.
Dont need the job offer for the PGDB registration or limited licence.Do need it for our visas EOI and PR though.
I do have a couple of job offers at the mo... both will want me to do gas.
Spent three weeks meeting possible employers a couple o months back!
Thanks for that offer though - great!
So have you sat those November exams yet?
and
how quick did your registration papers come back from the pgdb.
I put in for registration for both gas and plumbing. and paid the $300 . So, far only a letter say I can be registered to plumb but to take the November exam. Will I get some sort of certificate showing I can plumb at least?
and as you know for gas - at the minute - a no go!

My wife thinks its something to do with the amount of competances on the CITB certificate. I only have the core gas safety and boilers cos of central heating. Didn't bother this time round with fires and cookers cos we knew we were thinking of emmigrating. She thinks the trade board felt there wasn't enough on there - so it looked like I couldn't do much gas work here!

Thanks for the reply mate. Is good to know not the only gasfitter / plumber in the world with New Zealand on the mind.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Apollo10
Thanks for the reply.
Dont need the job offer for the PGDB registration or limited licence.Do need it for our visas EOI and PR though.
I do have a couple of job offers at the mo... both will want me to do gas.
Spent three weeks meeting possible employers a couple o months back!
Thanks for that offer though - great!
So have you sat those November exams yet?
and
how quick did your registration papers come back from the pgdb.
I put in for registration for both gas and plumbing. and paid the $300 . So, far only a letter say I can be registered to plumb but to take the November exam. Will I get some sort of certificate showing I can plumb at least?
and as you know for gas - at the minute - a no go!

My wife thinks its something to do with the amount of competances on the CITB certificate. I only have the core gas safety and boilers cos of central heating. Didn't bother this time round with fires and cookers cos we knew we were thinking of emmigrating. She thinks the trade board felt there wasn't enough on there - so it looked like I couldn't do much gas work here!

Thanks for the reply mate. Is good to know not the only gasfitter / plumber in the world with New Zealand on the mind.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Hi again

My wife and I arrived in Auckland 3 weeks ago and even though I am registered with PGDB I am still waiting on my card. One thing about NZ is that they do nothing in a hurry. Taking a bit of getting used to.

Even though I am over here as a Plumber/Gas Fitter there is hardly any heating in the North Island so I am mostly doing plumbing with the odd marina job and the odd gas h/w. I havent sat any exams yet. We dont sit them until Nov. My company has a couple of ex pats working for them.

Where are your job offers?

One thing for sure is the shortage of plumbers out here it is frightining. We are hearing every day of more and more UK guys coming over. If you have a job offer you can come out here on a 2 year work visa(like us) and go for residency right away. You get more points if you are in NZ.

If I can help with anything else just ask.

What part of the UK are you from?
Old Apr 16th 2004, 12:11 pm
`

Hallo mischief.

Himself, plumbing husband, is away out to work now - so I have logged on ...

How did you get your registration ? Did they send you a letter saying you are registered .
or did you send in the assessment form with the $300 and then have to do something else afterwards. In a right muddle here now with this.
They sent a letter to us saying he would be eligible for plumbing registration once he had sat the Nov. exam. No offer of a card or anything though.
As you know there is a problem with the gas.

How many modules or assessments did you have for CITB - corgi?
for instance
Core Gas natural gas safety
cookers
fires

that sort of thing?

Were you self employed here , like my husband is right now.
Sorry - sound so nosey don't we?
Just that we are ssoo worried bout this gas lark.

We are in the South West hoping to go to North of South Island. You are dead right about the shortage over there. We were a bit shocked. Not just plumbers but all other trades too.

Yup! we are hoping to go out on a work visa , then put in the EOI for PR just like you.

Reason we have shied away from Auckland area is the house prices there.

have you tried the www.*****.co.uk forum site. thats good as its full of those in nz and those wanting to go!

thanks for your replies - its encouraging bout your registration. if I can understand yours , then maybe we can sort out my husbands properly . Cos somethings gone a bit wrong somewhere.

cheers

mrs apollo !!!

back to the grindstone.
himself is away doing solar stuff today.!!! back late as always until we leave the uk.