Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Gas Technician looking to make the move!!

UK Gas Technician looking to make the move!!

Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Sam_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Gas Technician looking to make the move!!

HI all!

Im thinking of making a move to work and live in Australia in the next year or so, but as a lot of people have stated in posts on this forum, I just dont know where to start! I mean there are so many ways of going about it! Im not looking at the least amount of paper work or the cheapist option, but as long as I can have a good walkabout for first for a few months first and then know i've got a good chance of starting a job there, then ill take that option.

I've been working in the North sea on Gas platforms as a instrument/measurement technician for the last four years and feel that I could apply my skills in Aus in similar if not the same industries. Of course im game for any jobs going so long as they pay well enough to make root.

So, if anyone has any advise on visas, working visas etc that you think might help, it would be much appreciated.

Sam
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:35 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Gas Technician looking to make the move!!

Hi Sam and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can't help with the employment questions I'm afraid but hopefull someone will be along soon to help you.

Alistair.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of work in Pilbara & Kimberley's already & coming up for gas workers. Best looking at fly in fly out from Perth as is a bit remote up here.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam_T
HI all!

Im thinking of making a move to work and live in Australia in the next year or so, but as a lot of people have stated in posts on this forum, I just dont know where to start! I mean there are so many ways of going about it! Im not looking at the least amount of paper work or the cheapist option, but as long as I can have a good walkabout for first for a few months first and then know i've got a good chance of starting a job there, then ill take that option.

I've been working in the North sea on Gas platforms as a instrument/measurement technician for the last four years and feel that I could apply my skills in Aus in similar if not the same industries. Of course im game for any jobs going so long as they pay well enough to make root.

So, if anyone has any advise on visas, working visas etc that you think might help, it would be much appreciated.

Sam
Your skills will be in huge demand all across Australia. WA has an expanding & booming LNG industry. Federal government yesterday gave approval for 2 huge ($30b) seam gas projects in Queensland. Victoria also has a gas industry in the Bass Straight - with some of the highest paid tradesmen in Australia.

Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry Sam, not trying to hi-jack your thread, but just wondering if anybody reading this knows if it is possible for someone from another field to move into the oil & gas industry (I'm an aircraft engineer, with licences including instruments and electrics). I have searched on-line, but keep getting companies that assure me they have jobs available on their list if I forward a few hundred bucks! Aye right!!
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Sorry Sam, not trying to hi-jack your thread, but just wondering if anybody reading this knows if it is possible for someone from another field to move into the oil & gas industry (I'm an aircraft engineer, with licences including instruments and electrics). I have searched on-line, but keep getting companies that assure me they have jobs available on their list if I forward a few hundred bucks! Aye right!!
You should find a few leads on here: projectconnect.com.au. Look for who has been awarded what contracts and take it from there. Gorgon is ramping up ( very slowly and inefficiently) but will have approx 2000 onsite from 2Q 2011. Worsley is full steam ahead as is Citic Sino Iron. Wheatstone, Prelude, Inpex and a few others may or may not happen, same as the 2 mentioned yesterday in Gladstone.
Suss out who's doing E+I and send them your CV.
Agencies are not allowed to charge up front fee's in Australia, I believe, so tell them to FO.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by upyerfud
You should find a few leads on here: projectconnect.com.au. Look for who has been awarded what contracts and take it from there. Gorgon is ramping up ( very slowly and inefficiently) but will have approx 2000 onsite from 2Q 2011. Worsley is full steam ahead as is Citic Sino Iron. Wheatstone, Prelude, Inpex and a few others may or may not happen, same as the 2 mentioned yesterday in Gladstone.
Suss out who's doing E+I and send them your CV.
Agencies are not allowed to charge up front fee's in Australia, I believe, so tell them to FO.
Thanks upyerfud
I have no experience in the oil and gas industry, but over 20yrs on aircraft.
Do you know if they would entertain me or (as I suspect) tell me to piss off due to this inexperience.
I'm guessing the only way they would offer a position is if there were a big shortage of E+I guys, which I have no idea is the case.
Hit 40 last year and getting a bit bored playing with aeroplanes
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Sam_T is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for feedback on this, things looking more gash in UK than ever with offshore workers being robbed of there holidays so think the move will be to work on LNG for the doller (apparently). Oh and the weather SUCKS!
As for other trades from other areas like army, navy, airforce etc I wouldnt have thought there is any problem in getting a job in aus using previous skills in a new area. Where im working at the minute there are loads of ex serviceman with technical backgrounds, infact its preferred.
Anyway thanks again for the posts, i'm planning a visit for May next year.

Chow!!!!