Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK flights to Oz (Melbourne) via NYC?

View Poll Results: Where did you stop en-route?
Somewhere in the USA
18.18%
Bangkok
0%
Bali
0%
Singapore
54.55%
Hong Kong
0%
Kuala Lumpur
0%
Other
27.27%
I didn't "stop" anywhere
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

UK flights to Oz (Melbourne) via NYC?

Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Ria_Wild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK flights to Oz (Melbourne) via NYC?

Is it a possibility to fly to Oz via New York without it costing tonnes extra?

Another reason for considering flying that way around is the luggage allowance of 64kg per person.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK flights to Oz (Melbourne) via NYC?

Hey,

Yeah get a round the world ticket,

infact if you get a business class ticket you get extra baggage allowance.

Also you get 32" leg room with 48 " shoulder room.

blaha blah blah blah
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
Hey,

blaha blah blah blah
We stopped in Miami, mexico, LA and Hawaii on a qantas discovery+ ticket, you can buy them from www.travelmood.com. Also flying this way round you get 46kg luggage allowance each.

There's more info in this thread -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463889

Buzzy
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Default UK flights to Oz (Melbourne) via NYC?

I've been trying to find flights via NYC & can't seem to find any
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ria_Wild
Its not a standard trsnit point so you may have to look at two separate flights. Ring a couple of travel agents they can come up with something for you!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Call Travelmood. www.travelmood.com.

Read my thread about the discovery plus ticket above.

Buzzy
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

It will apparently cost £600 extra for us to stop in NYC on the way - that's too much out of our buffer sadly.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

It will apparently cost £600 extra for us to stop in NYC on the way - that's too much out of our buffer sadly.
Our main ticket is:-

Newcastle to Boston
Washington DC to Vegas
Los Angeles to New Zealand
New Zealand to Melbourne

and was £550 each.

We are going to New York on the train from Boston, then the train again to DC. We bolted on a couple of internal flights to see other places, they are dirt cheap in USA.

In all, we are travelling UK - Boston - NYC - Philly - DC - Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco - Peru - LA - NZ - Melbourne and the total cost for the transport aspects, including flights, trains & hire cars is les then when we flew direct to Melbourne for our reccie!

We used trailfinders who have been fantastic.

For full trip details if you want any ideas for places to visit, check out our blog:-

www.mytb.org/Tony---Emma

Best of luck with your planning!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Do bear in mind that due to the weakness of the US$, once you are in the US, things will seem quite cheap eg shopping, car hire, accommdation, fuel etc.

Timberland Boots for 30 pounds anyone?

Buzzy
Old Aug 14th 2007, 12:21 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Timberland Boots for 30 pounds anyone?

Buzzy
Is that cheap or expensive?

Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Is that cheap or expensive?

Cheap mate. 120 - 140 pounds in UK.

I'll be up Tyabb at the weekend - will wear the boots there if you need a demo!

Buzzy
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Cheap mate. 120 - 140 pounds in UK.

I'll be up Tyabb at the weekend - will wear the boots there if you need a demo!

Buzzy
Wow. At size 14 I order my boots, etc... so I don't have a clue about normal shoe shop prices.

Are you antiquing? I'll be down the station on Sunday practicing putting on gas suits. Feel free to pop in if you want.

Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:46 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: UK flights to Oz (Melbourne) via NYC?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Are you antiquing? I'll be down the station on Sunday practicing putting on gas suits. Feel free to pop in if you want.

Naah, not antiquing mate! Showing the in-laws round some of the back beaches of the peninsula. Thanks for the invite, we'll be coming on Saturday though.

Buzzy
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
Hey,

blaha blah blah blah
32" legroom in business class!?? I'd be asking for my money back mate!