Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk Fire Service Pension

Uk Fire Service Pension

Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Uk Fire Service Pension

Can anyone help we are in the process of waiting for our ENS visa to be approved (hopefully). hubby retired from fire service last week after 31 years!!! Anyone know the technicalities of collecting his pension when we are in OZ. We know he only pays one lot of tax (in oz) but other than that what else happens.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:47 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Fire Service Pension

Why not contact the Fire Service APAC (pensions people)? A lot of gov organisations/Departments work differently but are administered by only a couple of companies that pay or sort out the pension once a person reaches the age to claim. It may be Capita that administer it but I can't be sure as I only know that they administer certain Departments in the Uk, one being mine.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Can anyone help we are in the process of waiting for our ENS visa to be approved (hopefully). hubby retired from fire service last week after 31 years!!! Anyone know the technicalities of collecting his pension when we are in OZ. We know he only pays one lot of tax (in oz) but other than that what else happens.
I have a Royal Navy pension which I recieve monthly. I contacted the Inland Revenue when I left the UK (Inland Revenue centre for non residents, Nottingham) and they sent me forms to get my penson exempted from UK Income tax. I was required to forward the form to the Australian Tax Office for them to forward on to the IR back in the UK. The whole process took about 4 months but now I get my pension free of UK income tax. Great. Now the bad bit. You have to declare your pension on your annual Australian tax Office (ATO) return and they will inform you how much you must pay to the ATO. In my case, since I currently earn about $75,000 as a WA copper I pay about $7,000 on my RN pension of $20,000 per year. This $7,000 in my case is a annual bill which I pay as a one off. If you are retiring and not earning it may be different but you still have to submit a tax return each year and you may find that you will owe tax to the ATO even though the pension was earned in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

thats absolutely fantastic just what we wanted to know. Hubby is hoping just to get a casual job to top his pension up to an ok salary