Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK endowment policy-ATO's treatment

UK endowment policy-ATO's treatment

Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK endowment policy-ATO's treatment

If I have a UK endowment policy do i declare this on my aus tax return?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK endowment policy-ATO's treatment

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Yes....and you will have to pay tax on the annual growth

G
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:32 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
So would you recommend cashing it in?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
according to this page i am exempt if my holding is less than $50,000 (which it is).
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

according to this page i am exempt if my holding is less than $50,000 (which it is).
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1
Correct...but it should still be declared.

Once you go above $50000 then you pay tax on the lot!

G
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
So would you recommend cashing it in?
Has to be down to personal circumstances.

Worth taking expert advice.

G
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

In answer to your question I think you are supposed to declare all assets whether here or overseas.

I just wanted to mention that we cashed ours in before leaving. When I read up on our policy it stated that we had to be UK residents to continue with it so we bailed out (it was failing miserably anyway). I guess you don't have to tell them - not sure what implications there would be - but I expect someone else does.

Macquarie
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:03 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macquarie
In answer to your question I think you are supposed to declare all assets whether here or overseas.

I just wanted to mention that we cashed ours in before leaving. When I read up on our policy it stated that we had to be UK residents to continue with it so we bailed out (it was failing miserably anyway). I guess you don't have to tell them - not sure what implications there would be - but I expect someone else does.

Macquarie
My endowment provider wouldn't let me carry it on overseas, so I cashed it in, as it too was failing miserably. Infact, the last projection was that it would underachieve by £12k - and it was only to cover a £30k mortgage! Didn't take much working out that one...

Got back just under what I had paid in.

Stupid endowments...

S
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
My endowment provider wouldn't let me carry it on overseas, so I cashed it in, as it too was failing miserably. Infact, the last projection was that it would underachieve by £12k - and it was only to cover a £30k mortgage! Didn't take much working out that one...

Stupid endowments...

S
mine is roughly in line with yours in the underachieving dept but i only kept it cos it's a std life one to get the demutualisation handout-i think now's the time to cash it in.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Macquarie
I guess you don't have to tell them - not sure what implications there would be - but I expect someone else does.
It would be Tax evasion.....a criminal act.

G
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Guitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the rough

Before you 'cash it in' it's worth looking to see if someone will 'buy' it off you - often worth more than the surrender value .

Google 'sell endowment' and you'll find lot's of companies that buy them...
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Stupid endowments...

S

Mine is exactly the same as yours, with L&G so I sent the complaint letters about being missold and was rejected by them, so now I sent them to the ombudsman and believe I have a fair chance of winning. All info I got was from the moneysavingexperts forums on mortgages and endowments. Also I believe you can still complain even if you sold it or cashed it in as long as the time constraints are right.

Give it a go as it takes about 20 minutes to fill in the forms.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Mine is exactly the same as yours, with L&G so I sent the complaint letters about being missold and was rejected by them, so now I sent them to the ombudsman and believe I have a fair chance of winning. All info I got was from the moneysavingexperts forums on mortgages and endowments. Also I believe you can still complain even if you sold it or cashed it in as long as the time constraints are right.

Hi can you please give me the web address. Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dolly1
Hi can you please give me the web address. Thanks

Article is here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...38020285,19271,

Forum is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ad.html?t=4722

Good luck.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice

Originally Posted by caleb2003

I received £1,800 after writing to Standard Life last year about being missold the policy.......... I'm just waiting to recieve my share money which should be sometime this month, then I'll be trying to sell my policy..... I've been told you get more than cashing it in to the company.