British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK DVD Player? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-dvd-player-584496/)

Ryem78 Jan 15th 2009 12:23 pm

UK DVD Player?

Hi all,

We stupidly went and bought a brand new Sony DVD player with surround sound thinking it was cheaper to buy here, but we've now realised that it's Region 2 so not compatible with Australian DVDs. We're trying to change it to ALL region (apparently you just need a code), but so far we're not having any luck as it's a new model. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

Thanks! :confused:

liverpool12 Jan 15th 2009 12:30 pm

Re: UK DVD Player?

Hi,

Just look on the internet and do a search for dvd unlocking codes. Some sites try to charge, but there are loads of free ones too. We had the same problem, but basically all DVD players are the same, its just a con for the big corporate companies to get more cash out of people.

You follow the unlocking steps, usually its some digits and enter etc...then happy days, you will be able to play any DVD from any region.

Hope this helps.

Rob:thumbsup:

ps

Tell us your make and model and I am sure some kind soul on here will find it for you !!

Rideaway Jan 15th 2009 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ryem78 (Post 7171666)
Hi all,

We stupidly went and bought a brand new Sony DVD player with surround sound thinking it was cheaper to buy here, but we've now realised that it's Region 2 so not compatible with Australian DVDs. We're trying to change it to ALL region (apparently you just need a code), but so far we're not having any luck as it's a new model. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?

Thanks! :confused:

Have a look at - http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks :D:D

Ryem78 Jan 15th 2009 12:50 pm

Ah no luck there I'm afraid! It's a Sony HT-SF2000 I think (waiting for OH to confirm). That's the problem with new technology these days - it's too new to hack! :rofl:

aussiedreamz Jan 15th 2009 1:17 pm

Just bring your player, when you see the cost of DVD's over here you will soon be ordering them in bulk from Amazon and having them shipped over, I read somewhere that a UK dvd player may be able to play australian dvds as some discs are sold as dual region 2 and 4, uk and oz, If I remember rightly some of my BBC dvd's are dual region...I've lent them to a mate at present time so cant confirm this right now.

newjersey Jan 15th 2009 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ryem78 (Post 7171776)
Ah no luck there I'm afraid! It's a Sony HT-SF2000 I think (waiting for OH to confirm). That's the problem with new technology these days - it's too new to hack! :rofl:

You'd be surprised how many times the products get repackaged into newer and shinier look just to make statements like New and improved, etc. Chances are that the software is essentially same as some previous version, so you might try an access sequence for other models to see if any of them fit.
NJ

aussiedreamz Jan 15th 2009 1:24 pm

Just found this, may be of help....

Universal ,BBC and other labels with selected titles often dual code discs for the PAL regions of 2 and 4.
Fox are another one for dual coding.
Some even show both on the back cover.
But even if they dont that does not mean its not dual coded.

Ryem78 Jan 25th 2009 4:59 pm

Hi again,

We managed to sort out the DVD player...but now we've discovered we've got the same problem on our laptop DVD player! It's a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC (I think!) and says we've only got 4 opportunities to watch DVDs outside of Region 1 :blink:

Any idea how to multi-regionalise a laptop DVD player??

Thanks!

MacLover Jan 25th 2009 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ryem78 (Post 7211527)
Hi again,

We managed to sort out the DVD player...but now we've discovered we've got the same problem on our laptop DVD player! It's a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC (I think!) and says we've only got 4 opportunities to watch DVDs outside of Region 1 :blink:

Thanks!

Use VLC Player, it bypasses the region code to play the DVD's back (well it has done for me).

wmoore Jan 25th 2009 8:36 pm

Hi again,

Thanks!

Computer DVD players are a bit harder because the region coding is usually in the firmware. Click on Start --> Run and type devmgmt.msc. Look for the DVD-ROm drive in the list and note down the model number, then go to http://www.dvdcodes.net/ and look for a hack.

MacLover Jan 25th 2009 8:55 pm

OP for your Laptop get VLC Player and you can play any region DVD's on your Laptop.

I could of sworn I wrote this earlier.

wmoore Jan 25th 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by MacLover (Post 7212164)
OP for your Laptop get VLC Player and you can play any region DVD's on your Laptop.

I could of sworn I wrote this earlier.

VLC gets around firmware / hardware locks? :confused:

Ka Ora! Jan 25th 2009 9:11 pm

Hi again,

Thanks!

A quick fix would be to install Anydvd on it this will then allow any region disk to be played a better solution would be to flash a modified firmware to the DVD drive to allow all regions to be played.

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 7212185)
VLC gets around firmware / hardware locks? :confused:

It doesn't;) Not even on a Mac, you still have to flash the firmware.

wmoore Jan 25th 2009 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 7212199)
It doesn't;) Not even on a Mac, you still have to flash the firmware.

I thought I must have missed something really obvious for a while there :lol:

MacLover Jan 25th 2009 9:22 pm

On Mac it doesn't on Windows it does (well it does for me which is why I suggested it).