Reload this Page >

uk driving licenses in oz

Wikiposts

uk driving licenses in oz

Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: uk driving licenses in oz

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Sorry - might not have been clear - I had a clean UK licence when I got done here for speeding. When I went to pay the fine they recorded all my UK details, driving licence number etc. I expected, when I converted to a Qld licence, for it all to be in their system and I'd acquire the points I would have gotten if I'd been caught on an Aussie licence, but they didn't appear. I received a clean Qld licence, 10 weeks after being caught speeding on a UK licence. Mind you, I did get twice the fine at the time so maybe as I had gotten this it was instead of points to be added later?
Did you own the car, or was it rented ?

I think that if you own the car, the points will be held against you, and added when you get your 1st State Licence. I am sure I have read that somewhere.

But if your 1st licence is in a different State to the one you got done in, the points don't get added.

Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:53 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's a very dangerous game to play if you have moved to the state and are a PR visa holder, Australian or NZ citizen. You are supposed to get an Australian licence within 3 months of taking up residence, irrespective of your long term plans.

Have you considered the risk that your insurance might be invalidated if you are driving illegally?

It only costs a small amount to get Australian driving licences, and they're great for ID - why anyone *wants* to stay driving on a UK licence is beyond me.
Hi J. According to the lady who works in the driving license/car license/car number plate govt. office (can`t rememeber their proper name atm), we don`t have to swap over until 12 months. She suggested we wait anyway as prices for conversion are coming down.

The insurance company are fine with us having UK drivers licences (Shannon`s btw).

The UK license is fine for ID as it is also a plastic card photo license (although it IS pink which is a bit of a worry ).

So we`ll save our $400 for the moment and get them done in a few months time.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:55 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Did you own the car, or was it rented ?

I think that if you own the car, the points will be held against you, and added when you get your 1st State Licence. I am sure I have read that somewhere.

But if your 1st licence is in a different State to the one you got done in, the points don't get added.
it was a hire car, but when you read 'Your keys to driving in Qld' it sort of looks like you get them anyway when you get a Qld licence - maybe I was just lucky
Old Jan 8th 2006, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

How about NSW?

SS
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
So we`ll save our $400 for the moment and get them done in a few months time.

Where does the cost of $400 (to get Australian driving licences?) come from?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:08 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Where does the cost of $400 (to get Australian driving licences?) come from?
I was wondering that - cost us less than $100 for both of us and that's only 'cos she got 1 question too many wrong and had to take it again.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I was wondering that - cost us less than $100 for both of us and that's only 'cos she got 1 question too many wrong and had to take it again.
Just been thinking - there's the cost of the actual 5 year licence to take into account as well - forgot about that bit so the overall cost is higher than the 'less than $100' I previously posted.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:49 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Straight swap in NSW.

Sit a written test in Qld.

We arrived into NSW - straight swapped. Moved to Qld and straight swapped NSW to Qld.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by diddy
Straight swap in NSW.

Sit a written test in Qld.

We arrived into NSW - straight swapped. Moved to Qld and straight swapped NSW to Qld.
Thanks very much.

How long do you have to swap it? 3 months?

SS
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:19 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Probably exagurrated on the cost of the licences... less than $400 then for 2 5-year licences.

Acid test for W.A. was this morning, when I got booked for speeding

He asked for my licence. I produced the UK licence. He asked how long had I been here. I said 6 months. He asked if I was going to say. I said I`m not sure yet. He gave my licence back saying if I stayed here longer than 12 months I have to get a W.A. licence.

Now I`m just wondering if the 3 points will somehow magically appear on the W.A. licence when I get it. My friend here at work says no, as he had points on his Queensland licence which didn`t appear when he got his W.A. licence, and you`d expect them to have a much easier time transferring them within Aus licences.