Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Driving License

UK Driving License

Old May 13th 2006, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Driving License

Has anyone who moved to Australia changed the address of their UK driving license. I am worried that if I send it to DVLC and give them an Australian address I won't get it back.
Old May 13th 2006, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving License

As far as I know, you can't change it to an address outside of the UK. I changed mine to my parents address to get around the problem.
Old May 13th 2006, 4:50 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
As far as I know, you can't change it to an address outside of the UK. I changed mine to my parents address to get around the problem.
Yep I changed mine to the outlaws address. If you move it's free and you get one of the new card licences.
Old May 13th 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

When we came out here, I rang DVLA and they said that so long as I informed them that I no longer lived in UK, it was fine to keep my existing licence with my old address on it. When you get your new licence in Victoria, they try to punch a hole in your UK licence anyway.
Old May 13th 2006, 8:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK Driving License

Originally Posted by Izzy
When we came out here, I rang DVLA and they said that so long as I informed them that I no longer lived in UK, it was fine to keep my existing licence with my old address on it. When you get your new licence in Victoria, they try to punch a hole in your UK licence anyway.
If you're an Aussie who's just received a UK license, they confiscate your Australian one and send it home to Australia. There is no way of retrieving it.
Old May 14th 2006, 8:52 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Izzy
You could alway's apply for a change of address after you have moved to Oz and been issued with an Oz licence, having it issued to your parents or a frends address etc and you wouldn't have a hole in that one!

Bye
Mark
Old May 14th 2006, 8:55 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Has anyone who moved to Australia changed the address of their UK driving license. I am worried that if I send it to DVLC and give them an Australian address I won't get it back.
don't think you can. Just use a relatives address.
Old May 14th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I spoke to the DVLA about this before we left. One person said we were OK to change it to another UK c/o address. The next person said we couldn't

We've not changed the address on ours yet - we're probably going to get an Aussie one anyway as it's handy as ID (and if we decide to buy a car, then insurance is allegedly cheaper if you have a "native" licence)