Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK driving license

UK driving license

Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default UK driving license

While in Brisbane at Xmas (prior to our move in June 04) I got a speeding fine. Paid $100 fine but the form also said 1 demerit point and asked for my license number. Surely they can't put points on my UK license? Anyone know for sure?
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:31 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds harsh and would fairly unworkable really

I wonder though if these points are noted and would be added if and when you applied for an Aussie licence ???
Old Feb 29th 2004, 10:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: UK driving license

Originally posted by MarkandJulie
While in Brisbane at Xmas (prior to our move in June 04) I got a speeding fine. Paid $100 fine but the form also said 1 demerit point and asked for my license number. Surely they can't put points on my UK license? Anyone know for sure?
They can't put points on your UK licence.

How did you get notification of the fine ? If the car wasn't registered in your name, and you just paid the fine, then any points will automatically go on the licence of the car owner.

Originally posted by EssexNobby
I wonder though if these points are noted and would be added if and when you applied for an Aussie licence
This did NOT use to happen, but I have a feeling that it may be easier for them to do this these days. I would like to hear from anyone that it has happened to .

Old Mar 1st 2004, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all
Default did u apply for an aussie license?

you are sposed to within 3 months of driving on your pommy one i think.....you have to take the DKT (driver knowledge test - find this online at www.rta.nsw.gov.au as a mock up test) and if u pass you get ur license - if u get caught driving with an english license after 3 months then u get a fine.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 2:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: did u apply for an aussie license?

Originally posted by wombatboy
you are sposed to within 3 months of driving on your pommy one i think.....you have to take the DKT (driver knowledge test - find this online at www.rta.nsw.gov.au as a mock up test) and if u pass you get ur license - if u get caught driving with an english license after 3 months then u get a fine.
That is correct for permanent residents.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 2:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
But if you live for 2 months in NSW, then move to QLD for two months then back again, etc etc, do you ever need to get an OZ licence ?

You need proof of a State Address to get the licence, without that they won't give you one !

Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

How did you get notification of the fine ? If the car wasn't registered in your name, and you just paid the fine, then any points will automatically go on the licence of the car owner
Similar thing happened to sales rep at work who loaned his car to another staff member, who was caught speeding thru a speed-camera. He copped the $fine and demerit points but filled in a stat-dec that he wasn't driving. Other staff-member then copped $fine AND demerit points off her licence. So YES, they can trace you if you are driving someone else's car. Beautiful things photos although they are not infallible. If it is hire care they have paperwork to find you or if it belongs to friend/relative they mostly won't idly cop the fines. Called "papertrail". If you don't get Aussie driving licence after 3 months in Oz and are caught driving they could charge you with driving without a licence.

Last edited by The Bloke; Mar 1st 2004 at 10:36 am.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As I am now not speaking to the Bloke owing to his new location (Schuey who???? ) , I shall answer the original question instead!

Surely they can't put points on my UK license? Anyone know for sure?
No, at this point in time, the Australian police cannot have points put on your UK licence.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK driving license

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
They can't put points on your UK licence.

How did you get notification of the fine ? If the car wasn't registered in your name, and you just paid the fine, then any points will automatically go on the licence of the car owner.

This did NOT use to happen, but I have a feeling that it may be easier for them to do this these days. I would like to hear from anyone that it has happened to .
notified through the post in UK - it was a hire car and they needed proof of my uk address when i collected it. Still, as my other half said, at least now we have got a photo of the car we hired - it was the one thing we didn't photograph while we were there!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
what about temporary residents? we have 2.5 year student visa and I had the impression that I could use my uk license for the duration of this visa????
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MarkandJulie
what about temporary residents? we have 2.5 year student visa and I had the impression that I could use my uk license for the duration of this visa????
That is correct.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 9:53 pm
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort of related, if 'a friend' was done for speeding (not a fixed penalty, went to court, fined and points but not locked up); said points have now expired, does this have to go down on 'their' visa application under the criminal convictions bit?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

The speed cameras have their uses, get a ute, load the family up in the back and speed through a camera to get a family portrait taken!

Mind you someone told me that in Qld, they have stopped sending you the photo, and so if you want to challenge it, you need to pay to get a copy of the photo, so even if innocent, you are down the few bucks needed to buy the pic.

Anyone else heard this?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Trevglas
The speed cameras have their uses, get a ute, load the family up in the back and speed through a camera to get a family portrait taken!

Mind you someone told me that in Qld, they have stopped sending you the photo, and so if you want to challenge it, you need to pay to get a copy of the photo, so even if innocent, you are down the few bucks needed to buy the pic.

Anyone else heard this?
That info was wrong, they are still sending them out, in QLD. In nSW they didnt used to send them, i dont know if they do now.

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all
Default yeah

i got done on a red light camera in bondi. They charged me $10 for the photo.

And I was guilty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.