Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk driving licence

Uk driving licence

Old May 12th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Uk driving licence

My uk drivers licence expires soon (well the photo card does) is it worth renewing or would I be able to switch my aus one if I ever went back? I've added to my licence since I've been here so my aus one is better for me than my uk one.

Cheers,
Ww
Old May 12th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Uk driving licence

Mine expired in January & I didn't renew it. I exchanged my UK license for my Oz one in September & as I understand it (& hope I understood it correctly ) if I move back to the UK I can swap my Oz license back for a UK one.

Alison x
Old May 12th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Uk driving licence

Originally Posted by al150n
Mine expired in January & I didn't renew it. I exchanged my UK license for my Oz one in September & as I understand it (& hope I understood it correctly ) if I move back to the UK I can swap my Oz license back for a UK one.

Alison x
Thanks Alison.

I'll save my money and let it expire!
Old May 13th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

You wont even need to swap your Aus one for another UK one, except WW you might want to to get the extras that you've added. It states on the DVLA (or DirectGov) website that you can just get a replacement when you come back as your actual licence is still valid (unless you leave it until your 70). So you can have both on the go still. I'm going to let my photocard lapse too, there's no point paying 20 pounds every 10 years when you don't have to, plus you're supposed to sign saying that you are resident, which we're not.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't renew it as you are no longer resident in the UK.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Having a UK license does help getting into RSL clubs when living within the 5k.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
How?
Old May 16th 2011, 4:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

lol...I can vouch for that!!!

RSL visitors do not have to pay if they live outside 5k of the club, you have to show proof of address and hey presto this is where your UK license comes in.
Old May 16th 2011, 4:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by paddyo
lol...I can vouch for that!!!

RSL visitors do not have to pay if they live outside 5k of the club, you have to show proof of address and hey presto this is where your UK license comes in.
It's hardly a big deal, paying a few dollars a year to help the clubs support the people who fought for their country though, is it?
Old May 16th 2011, 4:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You can't renew it as you are no longer resident in the UK.
Exactly. My photocard license expired last year (June 10) and was concerned that the date on it might confuse people, easily confused these ozzie bureaucrats!!. I was back in UK last month on holiday and called the DVLA and asked about getting my photocard renewed, I also explained that I am only a Australian Temporary Resident and in NSW a Temp Res does not need a NSW driving license (you can get one but it is only a Temp Driving License and has to be renewed every year). I was told 2 important things:

1. If you do not reside in the UK with a permanent UK address you can not renew/apply for a photocard license. If you somehow obtain one via nefarious means (like getting your renter to onward post it to you if your house is rented out - like me) then you engaged in fraud.
2. If your paper counterfoil is still in date (mine is until 2032) then as an 'overseas visitor' in the UK that is a legal form of driving license to use and provide should you need it, e.g. stopped for speeding. It also means it is valid internationally wherever a UK license is accepted.

So I am cleared legally to drive on my paper counterfoil, but, and this only applies to Temp Res people in NSW like me, I MAY still have issues when having to show my driving license for ID purposes here. As a matter of course I always show my paper counterfoil when hiring a car as well....makes life so much easier than having to explain everything!~!
Old May 16th 2011, 4:20 am
Social Grenade Thrower

It's hardly a big deal, paying a few dollars a year to help the clubs support the people who fought for their country though, is it?
I am a fully paid up member of my local RSL.

When I go away with work or use other local RSL's/Bowling Clubs/etc then that is when it comes in handy.
Old May 16th 2011, 4:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

and I did say 'visitors' not local members by the way.
Old May 16th 2011, 4:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

and another thing.....

Its the pokie machines that support the clubs, certainly not the meagre membership rates they charge. Each machine has an average ratio of 12.5% payout....I want to put two in my front porch and get the local miscreants to play them and pay my rent!!
Old May 16th 2011, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an RSL thing, its a club thing. I have nothing against supporting the diggers but if I have to then support the bowlers, the league players, the trade unionists, and all the other clubs then it gets a little silly. Looks like the 5k thing is a legal requirement for clubs?????
Old May 16th 2011, 6:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

It's not an RSL thing, its a club thing. I have nothing against supporting the diggers but if I have to then support the bowlers, the league players, the trade unionists, and all the other clubs then it gets a little silly. Looks like the 5k thing is a legal requirement for clubs?????
But if you have one membership card for a club in the area, the other clubs accept their card as well, you don't have to 'support' the others. Then if you're visiting one outside the area, you have your Aus driving licence to prove where you live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.