Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Drivers Licence

UK Drivers Licence

Old Jan 1st 2005, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default UK Drivers Licence

Before you emigrated did you tell the DVLA of your change of address?
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:48 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Drivers Licence

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Hello,

I'm not sure what you are supposed to do legally, but I didn't tell them. I did mean to tell them once we got to Oz but then forgot to do it. I did transfer ownership of my car (not worth selling) to my dad to avoid complications in this area.

Regards
Alistair
Old Jan 1st 2005, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

I'm not sure what you are supposed to do legally, but I didn't tell them. I did mean to tell them once we got to Oz but then forgot to do it. I did transfer ownership of my car (not worth selling) to my dad to avoid complications in this area.

Regards
Alistair
Thanks Alistair
Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:28 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Jimbo, if you have a relative you could use for a postal address you qualify for the new photocard licence for free as there's no charge if you change of address. We use Debs mum as our U.K mailing address she sorted junk mail and would forward on any important stuff.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 11:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
Jimbo, if you have a relative you could use for a postal address you qualify for the new photocard licence for free as there's no charge if you change of address. We use Debs mum as our U.K mailing address she sorted junk mail and would forward on any important stuff.
How do you sort out a UK photo licence from Australia ?
According to my UK licence I live in Birmingham

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you want to keep your UK driving license .. you can only use it for 3 months in Perth...

Does anyone know if you can use an Aus license in the UK or Europe ?
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 12:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FiFi
Why would you want to keep your UK driving license .. you can only use it for 3 months in Perth...

Great for getting into local clubs when you live within 5kms.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 1:05 am
ABCDiamond

It's nice to have a lifetime driving licence Imagine the situation of losing your licence in Australia, for some reason, but still being able to drive anywhere else in the world on your UK licence , or even, you lose you WA licence, then move to NSW, and swap your UK one for a NSW one (well, it may work!!!)

You can use them whilst on Holiday, or you can swap them if you become resident in the UK (No test was needed in 1996, not sure if that still applies.)

Originally Posted by bondipom
Great for getting into local clubs when you live within 5kms.
I never thought of that Damn good idea.

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 2:45 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I think you can drive for 12 months in the UK on an Aussie licence.

Regards
Alistair
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 3:15 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How do you sort out a UK photo licence from Australia ?
According to my UK licence I live in Birmingham
According to ours we both live in Lincolnshire still
I use mine for getting into surf clubs and rsl's all the time, very handy piece of I.D. and if your still in the U.K all you need is a passport sized photo, I used the ones left over from the t.r.a application, and your passport. The post office clerk will use your passport to verify your I.D so no need to send it away they just stamp your application approved, takes about 2 mins and no cash if you can use a different address to the one on your licence. As they last until your 70 they're excellent value even if you have to pay the £20 fee.
They count towards the 100 point check as well.
You can't use them if your stopped for speeding though, unless your in someone elses car
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 5:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In case you later on moved back to the UK and a change in the rules meant you couldn't swap it without a retest?

As a visitor - normally yes, but check to see if you need an international driving permit to go with it. If you move there, you will need a local licence.

Jeremy
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Faith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's nice to have a lifetime driving licence
Well not lifetime really, expires when you reach 70. Not so far off for some of us!
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Faith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cresta57
I use mine for getting into surf clubs and rsl's all the time
You use your UK licence as ID for Oz clubs? What's wrong with using your Oz one?

And (ok so I'm ignoramus) what's an rsl?
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Faith
You use your UK licence as ID for Oz clubs? What's wrong with using your Oz one?

And (ok so I'm ignoramus) what's an rsl?
If your a local resident with a local address on your drivers licence you have to pay and join the club if your an overseas visitor or live beyond the designated area it's free for the evening and you just sign in. It's handy if like us you only visit the coast to meet friends as we'd need to join loads of different clubs and only visit once or twice a yr.
RSL is the Returned Serviceman's League almost the same thing as the Royal British Legion but here the majority have sold out to big business and supplement the fees via hundreds of pokies. There are some nice ones left though you just need to find them hence visiting lots and not joining each one.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Good advise, change your address to your folks or inlaws and deffinately keep your UK licence.

You can change an Aussie Licence in the UK for a full licence, no test reqd. try to do it as soon as possible, its gets complicated the longer you leave it, you can legally drive on a Aussie licence for 12 months in the UK, after that its your insurance company who will give you the most grief.

Another piece of good advise, before you leave get an AA International Driving Permit, it may help, its so easy to get it worth it, your UK licence is only supposed to be valid for three months once you hit Aus as a PR, an AA IDP is valid for 12 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.