Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Dog + snakes & spiders = ????

UK Dog + snakes & spiders = ????

Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

stressfree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Dog + snakes & spiders = ????

We have a 4year old Jack Russell ( already eaten several bees and wasps resulting in a trip to the vets).
Wife`s brother, who`s lived in Oz for last decade or so, says its best to rehome him (the dog I mean). As he`s bound to try to eat something disagreeable. In addition to snakes and things, apparently there is some kind of tick that dogs can pick up in the undergrowth that can kill them in a few hours.
On the other hand their are loads of companies offering to take pets over to Oz, as if its a "no worries" thing.
Love the mut, hate to see him eaten by a croc.
Views much appreciated, Rob.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

pomcol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Dog + snakes & spiders = ????

Originally Posted by stressfree
We have a 4year old Jack Russell ( already eaten several bees and wasps resulting in a trip to the vets).
Wife`s brother, who`s lived in Oz for last decade or so, says its best to rehome him (the dog I mean). As he`s bound to try to eat something disagreeable. In addition to snakes and things, apparently there is some kind of tick that dogs can pick up in the undergrowth that can kill them in a few hours.
On the other hand their are loads of companies offering to take pets over to Oz, as if its a "no worries" thing.
Love the mut, hate to see him eaten by a croc.
Views much appreciated, Rob.
Bring him over, I have had dogs for many years and have yet to have one eatan by a croc or bitten by a snake or tick. Like yours my mini foxie sometimes gets bitten by bees or green ants...No Worries Mate.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

We brought our 3 yr old Jack Russell with us 6 months ago. She is still alive!

Obviously JRs like to get into things and the real dangers here in Qld are snakes and cane toads. The ticks can be readily treated and therefore careful screening etc is a good idea. You can also get some preventitive stuff but I don't know how effective it is.

The threat of all of these things really depends where you are going to live. Obviously a bush block means that there will by its nature be more snakes and ticks but they aren't exactly roaming everywhere. Suburbs are less likely. Cane toads are the nasties we worry about as they secrete a disgusting poison on the back of their neck which can send a JR nuts in a 15-30 minutes and kill in 15-30 minutes after that. However once again readily treatable if spotted early.

We are really pleased that we bought our JR and she loves it. The key is to keep an eye on them and not let them roam free, particularly in the bush, and you should have a happy healthy JR for many years.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

One of the British mums at the school brought her Jack Russell over from the UK. It got killed by a snakebite a couple of months ago.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

How and what type of terrain?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brizbound
How and what type of terrain?
Dog running around in coastal sand dunes on "walkies". Probably a dugite.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

pomcol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Dog running around in coastal sand dunes on "walkies". Probably a dugite.
Dog has more chance of jumping fence and getting killed on the road i think.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:10 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by pomcol
Dog has more chance of jumping fence and getting killed on the road i think.
Not in my neighbourhood, snakes everywhere.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

stressfree is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Brizbound]

Since you have just brought your dog over can you give me a ball park figure of how much it costs to ship a dog over from the UK to Oz. Including jabs etc.
Cheers Rob.

Last edited by stressfree; Nov 26th 2004 at 12:17 am.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:14 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

my dog is a jack russell too!..she is 14.

been here a year and still well.
I must admit though we dont let her run in the bushes etc just in case....keep her on a lead...we let her run off stem more on the beach!

ok in the garden though.

think it cost about £1000 approx to bring her..including quarantine
Old Nov 26th 2004, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

By the time we paid quarantine etc it was more like £1400. We used Airpets who were very good and Melbourne quarantine. The cheapest part was a flight for her from Melbourne to Brisbane approx $35!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 10:55 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

there are occasional upsurges in the numbers of Paralysis Ticks - cats and dogs both pick them up. My parents in Brisbane had one of their cats pick up a paralysis tick (in their garden!!) and he was very ill - ended up taking the cat the vet and he was there for 4 days. So you don't have to go onto bushland to pick up ticks....

Also remember to check yourselves for ticks if you've been out walking your dog in bushland. Ticks are not great for humans!!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

where abouts do you live?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Another reason for not crossing the river. :scared: ........
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all

What neighbourhood do you live in?

Curls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.