Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK dentist prices

UK dentist prices

Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice
Default UK dentist prices

I need to get some old crowns replaced and have been quoted $1650 per tooth here in oz.

Has anybody had any recent crown replacements done in the UK or could give me a rough idea of the price per crown. I've looked on the net and it quotes between £500 and £2,000 per tooth for UK dentists. As I need a lot replacing I'm just trying to decide if it would be cheaper to travel back to get the treatment done.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:48 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK dentist prices

I'm sure someone is going to recommend singapore or thailand as the cheaper option. Check out the lounge for some posts on it.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I keep telling people on here that nearly everything is expensive in Aus in relation to what you earn here, even more so in Perth by the looks of it.

Some people will say I'm being negative but it's a fact and don't say I didn't warn you all.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and our financial situation is better than most, so we are happy but it's going to be tough for newbies without a high salary job and/or plenty of funds to bring over.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic View Post
I keep telling people on here that nearly everything is expensive in Aus in relation to what you earn here, even more so in Perth by the looks of it.

Some people will say I'm being negative but it's a fact and don't say I didn't warn you all.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and our financial situation is better than most, so we are happy but it's going to be tough for newbies without a high salary job and/or plenty of funds to bring over.
Re the dental treatment, I would seriously investigate the overseas option and have heard Bali is also place for dental treatment.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

$550 Singapore for a crown with my chap. I think my Mums dentist in the UK quoted me about 400 quid? I was quoted $1200 for one here in Oz.

I also had to have a broken tooth repaired last year and again it was $500 Sing but he basically had to stick another tooth on to what was left!

It's worked for me because we were going back to the UK and stopping in Singapore both ways so there was no additional travel/hotel costs.

PM me if you want his contact details - very nice chap and trained in the UK. Seasider put me on to him and he has been a great find!

KK
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Boobops View Post
have been quoted $1650 per tooth here in oz.

£500 and £2,000 per tooth for UK dentists.

Ouch, in either country...

How do these Queensland prices compare:

Crowns & Bridges (Lab Fees Included)

Dental Item Number
615 Full Crown - Veneered - Indirect $1,199
618 Full Crown - Metallic - Indirect $1,099

Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:06 am
ABCDiamond

If it is £2,000 in the UK and $1,199 in Australia, how can it be a fact that it is cheaper in the UK.

Surely it may be more like, it is cheaper in some places and more expensive in others, depending where you look.

WA prices I have seen at:
615 Full Crown - Veneered - Indirect $1,113
618 Full Crown - Metallic - Indirect $1,087

Slightly lower than QLD on these items

Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
Ouch, in either country...

How do these Queensland prices compare:

Crowns & Bridges (Lab Fees Included)

Dental Item Number
615 Full Crown - Veneered - Indirect $1,199
618 Full Crown - Metallic - Indirect $1,099
It's full porcelain crowns I'm after, not sure if that's the same as these?? These prices seem much better though!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Re the dental treatment, I would seriously investigate the overseas option and have heard Bali is also place for dental treatment.
Yeah have seen a few threads about dental treatment overseas but I'm just a bit concerned about taking the plunge and having it done over there. I know it will be tons cheaper! I think it's because it's my front teeth so I want it to be perfect and I'm a bit unsure about the language barrier and if it is a big hassle trying to arrange it etc.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koalakim View Post
$550 Singapore for a crown with my chap. I think my Mums dentist in the UK quoted me about 400 quid? I was quoted $1200 for one here in Oz.

I also had to have a broken tooth repaired last year and again it was $500 Sing but he basically had to stick another tooth on to what was left!

It's worked for me because we were going back to the UK and stopping in Singapore both ways so there was no additional travel/hotel costs.

PM me if you want his contact details - very nice chap and trained in the UK. Seasider put me on to him and he has been a great find!

KK
Thanks for that, I've seen the posts from Seasider. I have looked at this dentist and from what's been said he is very good. I think I might have to do some research regarding flights, hotels etc and compare.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you can get a cheap no frills flight to Singapore and then stay in one of the Frangrance et al no frills hotels for around S$80 a night and then do some shopping with the money you save!

Another recommendation is the Bangkok Dental Hospital although Bangkok is a bit dodgey at the moment!

I pondered about the root canal treatment overseas but decided in the end to have it here just in case of a post problem but the crown was easy. I had the impression and the drilling done on the way to the UK and he just popped a temp crown on (which lasted about 6 weeks!) and then had the crown fitting on the way back. He's a great guy and even came in on his day off to check that my tooth repair was okay before sending me back to Oz!

As much as I like him I'm hoping NOT to have to see him this year!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

If it is £2,000 in the UK and $1,199 in Australia, how can it be a fact that it is cheaper in the UK.

Surely it may be more like, it is cheaper in some places and more expensive in others, depending where you look.

WA prices I have seen at:
615 Full Crown - Veneered - Indirect $1,113
618 Full Crown - Metallic - Indirect $1,087

Slightly lower than QLD on these items
Check my post - I never said it was cheaper or more expensive than UK. I said it was expensive in relation to what you earn here, a weeks wage for one crown, perhaps you think that's good value? I don't.

It's a lot of money when many countries like Singapore, Bali, US, Europe all do dental treatment so much cheaper. How can Aus justify it?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Naughty, naughty, cherry picking data again ABCD, the OP said: .....

I've looked on the net and it quotes between [B]£500 and[/B] £2,000 per tooth for UK dentists
How comes you picked the highest priced example of the UK tooth of £2000?

The OP said she was quoted $1650 a tooth and yet you use a $1,199 an example 30% cheaper.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Naughty, naughty, cherry picking data again ABCD, the OP said: .....

How comes you picked the highest priced example of the UK tooth of £2000?

The OP said she was quoted $1650 a tooth and yet you use a $1,199 an example 30% cheaper.
Same old story lets go on price ???. I know what I would do but then I know what goes into the cheap ones & noway would I want that in my mouth.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

As I'm not a dentist I have to go on price as I don't know what is good quality and what is not. For all I know a dentist may be using inferior products but still charging me top dollar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.