Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK cuts kids BCG Injection

UK cuts kids BCG Injection

Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:15 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK cuts kids BCG Injection

Hi

I have just had a letter from my daughters school stating that there is no longer a policy of vaccinating all school children with the BCG.
All I really wanted to know is do the kids need to have this injection for Oz or is Oz also using factors such as family history and country of origin as a basis for the need for the injection.

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK cuts kids BCG Injection

Originally Posted by thewoodz
Hi

I have just had a letter from my daughters school stating that there is no longer a policy of vaccinating all school children with the BCG.
All I really wanted to know is do the kids need to have this injection for Oz or is Oz also using factors such as family history and country of origin as a basis for the need for the injection.

Thanks

No jabs are compulsary in Oz. Pls dont stress about this one.

There's not been that much evidence that the BCG works all that well (or rather for most people), which is why the yanks don't do it.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:50 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
No jabs are compulsary in Oz. Pls dont stress about this one.

There's not been that much evidence that the BCG works all that well (or rather for most people), which is why the yanks don't do it.
thanks (i had though it was another UK cost cutting measure but it seems they are following the yanks - again )

i hadn't yet reached the stressing about jabs place........hang on just realised my eldest's jabs are over 10 years old........oh my god......youngest no BCG and eldest no current immunity.......

it all keeps us on our toes
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:55 am
on the Goldie

sorry to bump but would love to hear from anyone with any comments
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

This is not brand new policy- last years year nines got the same letter (I handed them out!). Personally I am all in favour of cutting costs by dispensing with unnecessary injections. The BCG hasn't been cut out altogether, just targeted at those people where it will be most effective in reducing transmission & incidence of disease. That's fine by me!
I understand that if parents are especially bothered about their children having the BCG then they can see their GP about it? (I could be wrong here as it's a year since I read the letter!)
I'm sure if there were any injections that your children had to have then you would be told by the Australians either as a condition of the medical/visa or as a recommendation from your doc in Australia.
I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:24 pm
on the Goldie

Originally Posted by esperanza
This is not brand new policy- last years year nines got the same letter (I handed them out!). Personally I am all in favour of cutting costs by dispensing with unnecessary injections. The BCG hasn't been cut out altogether, just targeted at those people where it will be most effective in reducing transmission & incidence of disease. That's fine by me!
I understand that if parents are especially bothered about their children having the BCG then they can see their GP about it? (I could be wrong here as it's a year since I read the letter!)
I'm sure if there were any injections that your children had to have then you would be told by the Australians either as a condition of the medical/visa or as a recommendation from your doc in Australia.
I wouldn't worry about it too much!
hi
yes don't get me wrong i'm all for giving only necessary injections. my son still has a nasty red lump 3 years after having his.
thanks for your comments i won't worry, if its necessary i will cross that bridge then
regards
N
Old Oct 31st 2006, 2:55 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thewoodz
Hi

Thanks
Hiya N...
I too felt like you when my son got his letter, in year 8, stating that they were now only giving it to children with certain family background. But we've been for our meds today and vaccinations were not even mentioned so don't think it's worth the worry. C x
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:43 pm
on the Goldie

Originally Posted by shiels
Hiya N...
I too felt like you when my son got his letter, in year 8, stating that they were now only giving it to children with certain family background. But we've been for our meds today and vaccinations were not even mentioned so don't think it's worth the worry. C x
thanks for that - hope it all went well for you. another step in the right direction