Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Credit Card in Oz

UK Credit Card in Oz

Old Sep 13th 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK Credit Card in Oz

I have checked with the bank and know I'm fine to change my address for the bank accounts to Australia but I was wondering about Credit Cards.

I'm planning on keeping one for a year (to ensure I get my cashback) and I was just wondering whether others have told them their australian address or just changed the address to a member of the family in the UK. The credit card doesn't have any debt on it and I don't really plan on using it but I don't want to get rid of it the day I move to Australia.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: UK Credit Card in Oz

Originally Posted by spottydog
I have checked with the bank and know I'm fine to change my address for the bank accounts to Australia but I was wondering about Credit Cards.

I'm planning on keeping one for a year (to ensure I get my cashback) and I was just wondering whether others have told them their australian address or just changed the address to a member of the family in the UK. The credit card doesn't have any debt on it and I don't really plan on using it but I don't want to get rid of it the day I move to Australia.

Hi,
the Halifax C.C. definitely let you...in fact we wanted to close this one and phoned to tell them so...but they told us it was fine with them and as we have a long history with them we decided to stick with them.. We have also recently taken out one with Nationwide...I really wanted this one, and told them we were going to be working out of the UK. for a year, maybe more, and they just checked with their manager and came back to say it was alright.
BB
Old Sep 13th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK Credit Card in Oz

I will be very interested in any answers to this one. I do have some debt on a credit card in the UK and haven't told them I have left the country. I am still making the payments and will continue to do so until it is clear. All my post is forwarded to me via my old UK address. I don't have a fixed address to give them at the moment anyway as we have been moving around. We do still own the house in the UK they have on record (praying that it will sell before much longer) so technically it is our address so maybe it doesn't matter?
Old Sep 13th 2005, 1:31 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Egg refused point blank to allow me to use an Aussie address, but then they are the company who have quite happily accepted half a dozen payments from my Commonwealth Bank account in London before the last one 'disappeared' in transit.

They suddenly claimed they don't accept electronic transfers unless it's from a proper English account and it had always been that way, even tried to deny I had made payments even when I faxed them copies of my statements. Luckily kept my Nationwide current account open, they are quite happy to have me registered in Aus, even send statements etc here.

I'd say just change address to friends or family, but be aware it will then show up on any credit check they have for loans etc whether it is in their name or not.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

I've done a combination of both. I had the same experience with Egg, they told me that they will close my account if I go overseas and I think that might be true of most of the Internet banks. So I gave them my mum's address. But the regular high street ones don't seem to have a problem. I would just call them and ask - they won't close your account just because you make an enquiry.

Being overseas I find it useful to have a UK credit card. I've used it to buy gifts and things over the internet and also for booking flights from the UK. If I use my US credit card in the UK I get a really poor exchange rate and sometimes pay charges too.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 2:09 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing you need to be careful of is they will charge you for exchanging the currency, I know Nationwide do a card that doesnt charge you for this though.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 2:17 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let you know, I've just phoned Nationwide and you can apply for their card BUT be resident in Oz, you just need to allow 15 working days to get the card in the post and then let them know your new addy

Old Sep 13th 2005, 2:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We had 4 cards between us and only Marbles would not allow an overseas address.

Make sure you can easily do internet payments / transfers.
Forget Tesco....thay were crap in that respect.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone, since the credit card I'm keeping is my Egg one I'll just transfer it to my Mums address.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

stiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
We had 4 cards between us and only Marbles would not allow an overseas address.

Make sure you can easily do internet payments / transfers.
Forget Tesco....thay were crap in that respect.
seems theyre not consistant then...when I moved overseas I had a citibank & marbles....citibank wouldnt allow overseas address, marbles would....