Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK court requests and OZ schools

UK court requests and OZ schools

Old May 1st 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of
Default UK court requests and OZ schools

Hi All

This is a bit complicated and hopefully I can put it across well.
I'm due to emmigrate to oz this year, location wise is either Sydney or Townsville QLD, first written job offer to arrive I will accept. I'm divorced both my children live with their mother, but I have a contact order in place so I can get to see them.
I will be travelling with my girlfriend with whom my children have good contact with and get on well together. My daughter (10) has requested that she wishes to come with us, this has happened on multiple occasions now and after talking to her she is serious about it. I have been in touch with my solicitor and I'm applying through the courts for permission to take her. My solicitor high lighted that the courts will need documented evidence that she has a placement in a school or if this is not possible documented evidence that placements can only be arranged once in oz! Has anyone been in this situation before? Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

My son (12) does not wish to come at the moment unless his relationship with his mother worsens. (Long story and would be inapropriate to discuss here)

Thanks

John
Old May 4th 2008, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK court requests and OZ schools

Desperate for some advice. Thanks

Johh
Old May 4th 2008, 5:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the school you can get a placement whilst being in the UK but it's not advisable as obviously you need first hand experience of a school before you'd be prepared to put your child there. Using Townsville as an example (way too many schools in Sydney to get my head around), if you email the schools there and ask for confirmation that should you move there your child will have a place and explain why you need it, they should be able to help you. If the school has a catchment area they may not be able to give you the confirmation but if they don't, you should have no problem.

Good luck.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Sorry I don't have any first hand experience but perhaps once you have your job offer you could contact the school that you think you would like your daughter to attend and see if they have a place and would accept her? (You may be able to get some hints on schools on here once you know where you will be living). After that - if you don't like the school once you get here, you may be able to find another one?
Old May 4th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_R
Hi All

This is a bit complicated and hopefully I can put it across well.
I'm due to emmigrate to oz this year, location wise is either Sydney or Townsville QLD, first written job offer to arrive I will accept. I'm divorced both my children live with their mother, but I have a contact order in place so I can get to see them.
I will be travelling with my girlfriend with whom my children have good contact with and get on well together. My daughter (10) has requested that she wishes to come with us, this has happened on multiple occasions now and after talking to her she is serious about it. I have been in touch with my solicitor and I'm applying through the courts for permission to take her. My solicitor high lighted that the courts will need documented evidence that she has a placement in a school or if this is not possible documented evidence that placements can only be arranged once in oz! Has anyone been in this situation before? Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

My son (12) does not wish to come at the moment unless his relationship with his mother worsens. (Long story and would be inapropriate to discuss here)

Thanks

John
Do I understand correctly that your daughters mother is refusing permission to take her?
Old May 4th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies folks. Will try emailling some schools in Townsville and see what they have to say.

Yes, unfortunately my wife is refusing. Its been a difficult divorce, requiring me to take her to court on multiple occasions just to get to see our children.

John
Old May 4th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_R
Thanks for the replies folks. Will try emailling some schools in Townsville and see what they have to say.

Yes, unfortunately my wife is refusing. Its been a difficult divorce, requiring me to take her to court on multiple occasions just to get to see our children.

John
There's a lot of us out there in this kind of position John. Do a search on BE and you'll find loads of threads from those who have been through the process and those who are still going through it.

Its a bit of a catch 22 with the schools, you need the visa to put anything concrete in place, but you can't get the visa without the permission to take your daughter Equally, when it is put to the courts that way, they will understand. I know the family courts can seem daunting at times (believe me I know they can!), but the bottom line is that they are out for the kids best interests. Once cafcass get involved (which they undoubtably will) and talk to your daughter that will make a massive difference (in your favour) as well.

Bear in mind that you will need to get meds done for your son as well, even though he's not going with you (yet), so it could be worth laying the groundwork for that now, hopefully it will make getting them done easier further down the line.

Very best of luck to you
Niki
Old May 12th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

John

You may want to ask the question would your daughter still want to live with you if you were staying in the UK? If so I would have thought you would have a stronger case, and therefore you need to apply for residency asap. It would be worth looking into the effect of seperating your children would have on them and you and their mother. I hope you are not offended but sometimes I have needed someone to point out what would seem the obvious, but these would be issues I would be raising if I were the mother. We have gained residency for my OH son It is not always easy for fathers.

eve
Old May 12th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi all

both children are now adament that they want to emmigrate. My daughter has in the past expressed that she wanted to live with me in the UK. Everything has now been passed onto my solicitor and the courts, I just hope that the District Judge has the decentsy to talk to the children intstead of listening to my ex wife and I bickering. The children have been made aware that it probably wont go in their favour but I will be getting a contact order allowing them to come and visit at least once a year.

Thanks for your suggestions

John