Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which UK companies don't take off VAT when shipping yo Aus

Which UK companies don't take off VAT when shipping yo Aus

Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Which UK companies don't take off VAT when shipping yo Aus

I recently ordered some trousers from Bon Marche and discovered they don't take off the VAT when shipping to Aus. This is the first company to charge VAT on exports and I was wondering what other companies do this so I can avoid them too?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which UK companies don't take off VAT when shipping yo Aus

Originally Posted by spottydog
I recently ordered some trousers from Bon Marche and discovered they don't take off the VAT when shipping to Aus. This is the first company to charge VAT on exports and I was wondering what other companies do this so I can avoid them too?
M&S charge VAT too
Amazon.co.uk don't
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:28 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
M&S charge VAT too
Amazon.co.uk don't

I bought a squash racquet from an Amazon Marketplace seller, and they didn't take the VAT off.

It was still half the price of the same model in Australia though, so mustn't grumble too much.

S
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I bought a squash racquet from an Amazon Marketplace seller, and they didn't take the VAT off.

It was still half the price of the same model in Australia though, so mustn't grumble too much.

S
Cool. I've never bought anything from Amazon Marketplace

Interestingly, I've bought stuff from Amazon .UK and .de that is cheaper shipped to Australia than it costs in the UK and Germany because they deduct the VAT
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:36 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Cool. I've never bought anything from Amazon Marketplace

Interestingly, I've bought stuff from Amazon .UK and .de that is cheaper shipped to Australia than it costs in the UK and Germany because they deduct the VAT

Yes, I have frequently found this - the shipping is often offset by the VAT deduction, plus it was cheaper in the first place.

Amazon.de usually better with the VAT deductions as well.

S
Old Aug 18th 2015, 5:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I have frequently found this - the shipping is often offset by the VAT deduction, plus it was cheaper in the first place.

Amazon.de usually better with the VAT deductions as well.

S
.de has cheaper shipping rates than .co.uk too

Direct shipping rates from amazon.com are also very reasonable

Postage from Japan is good value - Rakuten is one of my favourite online shopping sites
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I've only previously bought from small companies and Amazon directly in the UK so assumed all big companies would take off the Vat before shipping. Interesting to hear M&S don't either, will be more careful in future where I buy from as I feel a bit ripped off when companies charge me more (given it is VAT free to them).
Old Aug 18th 2015, 2:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I've only previously bought from small companies and Amazon directly in the UK so assumed all big companies would take off the Vat before shipping. Interesting to hear M&S don't either, will be more careful in future where I buy from as I feel a bit ripped off when companies charge me more (given it is VAT free to them).
M&S have free shipping over GBP30 (sometimes free) which I guess is covered by the VAT
Old Aug 18th 2015, 10:33 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked M&S doesn't technically charge VAT, it didn't appear on the invoice BUT the price was the same as the UK with VAT. I emailed them about it and they said "we don't charge VAT blah blah blah" but in that case they do charge a 20% premium for overseas orders. I guess that's what the "free" shipping is.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Last time I checked M&S doesn't technically charge VAT, it didn't appear on the invoice BUT the price was the same as the UK with VAT. I emailed them about it and they said "we don't charge VAT blah blah blah" but in that case they do charge a 20% premium for overseas orders. I guess that's what the "free" shipping is.
If the called it VAT they would have to give it to Mr Taxman (them's the rules). So if they just use it as a surcharge to cover the postage they can both make a bit on the delivery costs, and keep their system simple.

"Don't mention the VAT. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it."
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
If the called it VAT they would have to give it to Mr Taxman (them's the rules). So if they just use it as a surcharge to cover the postage they can both make a bit on the delivery costs, and keep their system simple.

"Don't mention the VAT. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it."
It makes me mad. I was complaining to the guy at the till at M&S in London Colney about this. I've never seen anyone glaze over with disinterest so fast.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

It makes me mad. I was complaining to the guy at the till at M&S in London Colney about this. I've never seen anyone glaze over with disinterest so fast.
VAT vs postage - its usually roughly a wash.

For M&S for instance, you can roughly work out how much it would cost to post, then compare to the VAT.

It it were small and high value, it might be another matter.

The only time I get miffed is when its VAT+postage, or they won't send to Australia at all.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:10 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by GarryP
VAT vs postage - its usually roughly a wash.

For M&S for instance, you can roughly work out how much it would cost to post, then compare to the VAT.

It it were small and high value, it might be another matter.

The only time I get miffed is when its VAT+postage, or they won't send to Australia at all.
But it's the fact they pretend they do free postage that pisses me off!
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bon Marche charged VAT and postage which guarantees I won't be shopping with them again.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You chat to cashiers in the UK? I thought only Ozzie cashiers chatted to customers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.