Reload this Page >

UK Citizen - changing name after marriage

UK Citizen - changing name after marriage

Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Citizen - changing name after marriage

Hello out there!

Wondering if someone can tell me how it works, if a current PR Aussie citizen wants to change their surname (ie getting married)... how do you do it, which department do you talk to, how tricky was it to reissue passports etc. I gather it must happen because women are coming out and getting married.
Any tips most appreciated!

Jasper
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:59 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen - changing name after marriage

Originally Posted by jasper pentop View Post
Hello out there!

Wondering if someone can tell me how it works, if a current PR Aussie citizen wants to change their surname (ie getting married)... how do you do it, which department do you talk to, how tricky was it to reissue passports etc. I gather it must happen because women are coming out and getting married.
Any tips most appreciated!

Jasper
You apply for a new pasport in your married name
http://www.britaus.net
then you take both passports and your marriage certificate to your local DIAC office and they will put a sticker in the new passport with your new name.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I changed my name (legally, not because of marriage though) but I had to change it through Births Deaths and Marriages of the state I am resident in (NSW) – so I assume by the name that's where you would change it also.

It’s very simple to change on your passport, you just send off a new application, current passport and your marriage certificate (in my case change of name certificate) and they then send out your new passport.

It’s all very easy, just damn expensive – I had to get all 3 of my passports changed, wasn’t cheap! Lol

Good Luck

Mikey
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollyanna! After all these years, I cant believe it is you who still answers my posts!! Hope things are going well for you!!! JP
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks MikeyC - yeah it would be for legal reasons not a marriage as such. Good to know it can happen!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:52 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper pentop View Post
Pollyanna! After all these years, I cant believe it is you who still answers my posts!! Hope things are going well for you!!! JP
Nice to see former chat-mates returning to BE every so often
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be recognised with the name change officially in Oz, you will need a cert from Births Deaths and Marriages.
Oz Passport office would not accept my UK marriage cert, so I had to complete a form, produce loads of docs (UK passport, citizenship cert/visa, rates doc, etc etc) pay $80 bucks and about 8 weeks later....a piece of paper appeared.

Lots of bureaucracy but it has made life easier for changing driving licence, medicare card etc.