Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK child Benefits

UK child Benefits

Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all
Default Re: UK child Benefits

Originally Posted by renth
I know people here in Oz still claiming UK child allowance, or whatever it's called. Have been for years. The UK beurocracy is so inept they'll get away with it too.

Blimey....they are brave / or stupid...those lot at the inland revenue will surely catch up with them eventually and they'll have to pay it all back
A friend of mine was paid tax credits for 5 months after she left for canada (even though she told them she was leaving)...eventually the tax credit people realised their mistake and demanded the whole lot back....
Tanya x
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:23 pm
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
Blimey....they are brave / or stupid...those lot at the inland revenue will surely catch up with them eventually and they'll have to pay it all back
A friend of mine was paid tax credits for 5 months after she left for canada (even though she told them she was leaving)...eventually the tax credit people realised their mistake and demanded the whole lot back....
Tanya x

How would they know how to find them?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:33 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shade8
You wouldn't believe how many people in OZ still claiming UK allowance.
I sometimes wonder who the idiot is me or them.

lol ... its something that never ceases to astound me!
ive been coming on this site for over 3 years now, and the number of posts ive seen saying 'im going to carry on claiming ' is incredible!

ps, to the op - sorry for going o/t, we know thats not what you were asking and i apologise for digressing
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by julie hilton
How would they know how to find them?

Just because you leave the country you do not just disapear.....It's not difficult to trace anyone if you have the means.....look at how banks etc trace people overseas to recover unpaid debts.....
A british patient I was looking after when working in Sydney told me about a women she knew who emigrated and continued claiming child benefit.....the Inland revenue tracked her down, recovered all the payments and tried to have her in court for fraud!!!..nice start to a new life down under.....
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just because you leave the country you do not just disapear.....It's not difficult to trace anyone if you have the means.....look at how banks etc trace people overseas to recover unpaid debts.....
A british patient I was looking after when working in Sydney told me about a women she knew who emigrated and continued claiming child benefit.....the Inland revenue tracked her down, recovered all the payments and tried to have her in court for fraud!!!..nice start to a new life down under.....
By, the way...don't shoot the messenger....only passing on the story I was told!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Annie get your gun is an unknown quantity at this point

By, the way...don't shoot the messenger....only passing on the story I was told!!!
Hi, i followed my husband here on an assignment, (457 visa) not emmigrated. Could be here for 12 months or 4 years. hows does my situation sit with regards to claiming uk child benefit? I have a directors salary in UK on which i pay NHS and UK tax on so does this make any differences? i also still ahve my house in uk with a mortgage

Rgds
AS
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Annie get your gun
Hi, i followed my husband here on an assignment, (457 visa) not emmigrated. Could be here for 12 months or 4 years. hows does my situation sit with regards to claiming uk child benefit? I have a directors salary in UK on which i pay NHS and UK tax on so does this make any differences? i also still ahve my house in uk with a mortgage

Rgds
AS
Hi,

Not too sure.....but as you are actually paying UK income tax I guess you may still be eligible.....give them a ring is the best bet.
Tanya x
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:31 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ohippy
I didn't need to give a forwarding address as I rang early enough to sort out (hopefully as they'll have no chance of contacting me after)

Help me please

I`ve just phoned the child tax credits and she told me to ring nearer the time and to give her a forwarding address when I ring. We leave on the 9th October and haven`t got a forwarding address at all.

Any advice
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:48 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mashy
Help me please

I`ve just phoned the child tax credits and she told me to ring nearer the time and to give her a forwarding address when I ring. We leave on the 9th October and haven`t got a forwarding address at all.

Any advice
When I rang the child tax credits office they said they couldn't accept the details until after we had moved. I was told to write to them after we got here and give them our new address. Did this, and it seemed to do the trick. Although we still got a form from them recently asking to confirm details of income from the date we left the UK up until the end of the tax year.

I would leave it until you arrive then send them a letter with your contact details.

All the best.

Sue
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:53 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Annie get your gun

Rgds
AS
From the Inland Revenue site:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/eligible.htm#abroad

"You must tell us straight away if you, your child, children or all of you leave the UK permanently or for an absence that is likely to last for more than a year when you leave. If you are going abroad permanently but your child is staying in the UK and living with someone else, the person they are staying with should get in touch with us and claim Child Benefit.

If you go abroad temporarily you can continue to get Child Benefit

for up to 8 weeks, whatever the reason for your absence
for the first 12 weeks you are abroad if you go or stay abroad because you are, or a member of your family is, receiving treatment for an illness or disability or because a member of your family has died.
You must tell us if you are going abroad longer than this. If you left the UK after the 6 April 2003, you will be treated as being abroad temporarily if your absence is unlikely to last for more than a year when you leave.

If your right to stay in the UK is under a limit or condition and you have been getting Child Benefit since before 7 October 1996 you may lose the right to get Child Benefit again if you stay abroad for more than 8 weeks. If you want to know more about this, get in touch with the Child Benefit Office.

If your child goes abroad temporarily you can continue to get Child Benefit for them for up to 12 weeks. You must tell us if your child is leaving the UK for more than 12 weeks.

If your child is temporarily abroad for more than 12 weeks you may still get Child Benefit if they are abroad only for one of the following reasons:

to receive full-time education in an EEA country or Switzerland
to make an educational or foreign visit that is approved in writing by their school
to get medical treatment for an illness that began before the child left the UK."

HTH.

Sue
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:11 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Many, many thanks Sue

Sharon x