British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-child-benefit-voluntary-national-insurance-contributions-457-visa-402570/)

jamesegrant Oct 16th 2006 8:51 pm

UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 
Hi

Couple of questiosn trying to get definitive answers on please:

Child Benefit

Can you still claim child benefit in the UK if on a 457 visa - npt sure how long we will stay but current intention is to return to UK at some point

National Insurance Contributions

How much per week/month do you have to pay voluntarily to make sure still get UK pension

Many thanks for any help

Cheers

Mrs Jackaroo Oct 16th 2006 10:11 pm

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by jamesegrant
Hi

Couple of questiosn trying to get definitive answers on please:

Child Benefit

Can you still claim child benefit in the UK if on a 457 visa - npt sure how long we will stay but current intention is to return to UK at some point

National Insurance Contributions

How much per week/month do you have to pay voluntarily to make sure still get UK pension

Many thanks for any help

Cheers

Hi

Unfortunately you cant claim either UK child benefit or Oz family credit when you're on a 457 Visa (which is a bit unfair! :mad: ). Not sure about the National Insurance, I think hubby got a request for £35 to cover a month - dont quote me on that though. With money being so tight, and converting that to Aus$ we opted not to bother in the end.

HTH :)

northernbird Oct 16th 2006 11:43 pm

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 
Nope, no child benefit from UK and Mrs Jackaroo says no benefits in oz which is a pisser because you pay as much tax as the PRs.

AS for NI contributions I have regularly received letters from the contributions agency offering me this service while I lived in Canada and Oz so I suspect you can contribute but with the exhange rate at the moment, sending money back to the UK is a no no.

Elvira Oct 16th 2006 11:46 pm

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by northernbird
AS for NI contributions I have regularly received letters from the contributions agency offering me this service while I lived in Canada and Oz so I suspect you can contribute but with the exhange rate at the moment, sending money back to the UK is a no no.

You realise it costs the equivalent of a Latte a week?

northernbird Oct 16th 2006 11:50 pm

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by Elvira
You realise it costs the equivalent of a Latte a week?

I know its not very expensive but at nearly 2.5 dollars to the quid at the minute and a monthly mortgage payment that would feed a small child for 10 years its just not a priority for us at the moment.

stevemich Oct 17th 2006 1:50 am

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by northernbird
Nope, no child benefit from UK and Mrs Jackaroo says no benefits in oz which is a pisser because you pay as much tax as the PRs.

not if you have LAFHA...

northernbird Oct 17th 2006 2:04 am

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by stevemich
not if you have LAFHA...

my husbands company don't offer it and as you lose it the day you apply for PR, we didn't want to get used to money that we weren't going to have in the long term.

stevemich Oct 17th 2006 2:19 am

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by northernbird
my husbands company don't offer it and as you lose it the day you apply for PR, we didn't want to get used to money that we weren't going to have in the long term.

Bummer they do not offer it - it has been very useful to us...

I know what you mean about getting used to it, not that we have done much research into it yet, but we are hoping the child benefits, cheaper medical insurance etc will balance it all out if we go for PR.

northernbird Oct 17th 2006 2:25 am

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by stevemich
Bummer they do not offer it - it has been very useful to us...

I know what you mean about getting used to it, not that we have done much research into it yet, but we are hoping the child benefits, cheaper medical insurance etc will balance it all out if we go for PR.

we don't qualify for child benefit anyway as Paul earns too much but the cheaper medical insurance would be nice.

stevemich Oct 17th 2006 2:26 am

Re: UK Child Benefit and Voluntary National Insurance Contributions on a 457 Visa
 

Originally Posted by northernbird
we don't qualify for child benefit anyway as Paul earns too much but the cheaper medical insurance would be nice.

Yeah - they charge a fortune for non residents...


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:32 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.