Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Cheque - cashing in Australia.

UK Cheque - cashing in Australia.

Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Cheque - cashing in Australia.

Hello all,

I have a cheque from the UK. Its not a massive amount but I don't want to get stung by the bank for cashing it in. I also don't want to cash it in the UK though, so will end up putting it in the bank here.

I currently bank with Westpac. I recall reading on here somewhere (but I can't bloody find it now) something about banking it here as stirling and asking the bank to change it to dollars when the rate suits. The thread also had details about bank charges for cashing uk cheques etc.

If anyone has any constructive advice for me on this point I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Ren
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK Cheque - cashing in Australia.

hi
we bank with westpac and bank uk cheques fairly regularly - basically take it into the bank, say you'd like to pay in a uk chequw and they do everything and charge $20 i think it is. Their exchange rate has always been pretty good and the cheque clears as cash straight away even though it takes 10 days to actually clear properly

our son is only 7 and his great grandad always sends a cheque for birthdays etc in his name and westpac are happy just to pay it into our account which saves a lot of hassle

hope this helps
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:30 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: UK Cheque - cashing in Australia.

Bank of Queensland charge a lot less. I think the last one I am aware of cost $7.

Before I found out about that, I would send those cheques back to my UK credit card account, for spending here later on my card.