Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Car Hire for Surrey/London month trip?

UK Car Hire for Surrey/London month trip?

Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Car Hire for Surrey/London month trip?

Originally Posted by rasen78
Nov 2013, I hired a smallish car (Ford Focus size) from these people https://www.economycarhire.com/.

3 weeks hire was £378.00 - unlimited mileage. .....
So £18/day for 21 days. ..... We paid £22/day unlimited mileage for a midsize car - "Passat or similar" recently. We rented from Enterprise, and true to their "We'll pick you up" marketing slogan, they gave me a free lift across town back to my mother's home after I dropped the car off.

US credit cards provide CDW insurance, so that is I think a saving of about £10-£12/day saving.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 2:20 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So £18/day for 21 days. ..... We paid £22/day unlimited mileage for a midsize car - "Passat or similar" recently. We rented from Enterprise, and true to their "We'll pick you up" marketing slogan, they gave me a free lift across town back to my mother's home after I dropped the car off.

US credit cards provide CDW insurance, so that is I think a saving of about £10-£12/day saving.
£378 included the £40 CDW, so the actual insurance was only £338. It was a 5 door car, Ford Focus type, possibly a VW Golf, I forget now, but was happy with the price - did me well for the 3 weeks, considering I probably did close to 2000 miles. Good you got the lift. I was on my own travelling between locations, so needed the convenience of somewhere close to the airport - free transfer buses to the depot so was all good
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that being from Oz should make rentals expensive. ..... Just don't rent at the airport because they add on substantial additional fees for airport rentals.
Just make sure you look around for the best deal as I have been quoted more when not using my UK licence. Totally depends on the company you hire from.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Just make sure you look around for the best deal as I have been quoted more when not using my UK licence. Totally depends on the company you hire from.
I check a variety of travel sites (Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc.*) and they don't ask what licence I hold. I have already locked-in the price before they even ask for my address or credit card. The prices are the same at current exchange rate whether I look on the .com or the .co.uk.

* For reasons I can't fathom, I have always found it much cheaper to go through a travel site than to go directly to the car rental companies' web sites, even the one I have "gold" rewards card with.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

I check a variety of travel sites (Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc.*) and they don't ask what licence I hold. I have already locked-in the price before they even ask for my address or credit card. The prices are the same at current exchange rate whether I look on the .com or the .co.uk.

* For reasons I can't fathom, I have always found it much cheaper to go through a travel site than to go directly to the car rental companies' web sites, even the one I have "gold" rewards card with.
Maybe it's changed in the last few years since I was back there but I always check the comparative sites and the actual rental sites as I've not always found the comparative sites to give the best deal. But that's been my experience and with things always changing it sure ain't gospel
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:03 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

I work for Enterprise. Happy to give you a quote if you like. And I live in Surrey so know all the local branches. And we do small automatic cars like Corsa's or Polo's.
Julie
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

mangotree is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently joined this but haven't used it yet. https://www.easycar.com/ Looks like the same company as the airline from the branding. You may be able to find a good deal there? Worth a look.

There are details on how to get stand alone CWD at a fraction of the cost here - Cheap car hire: £100s off hire & insurance abroad - MSE Also some useful tips on cheaper car hire.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 29th 2016 at 10:46 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we go back every 2 years- and use car hire 2000. They usually offer us Europcar but they definitely give good offers