Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK building societies that don't take advantage

UK building societies that don't take advantage

Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default UK building societies that don't take advantage

On occassions I have forgotten to ensure that my Flexaccount has sufficient funds for standing orders. The result is that the standing order doesn't go through. On top of that Nationwide then charge me interest and a fee of GBP30. I can't work out why they would charge me interest as I haven't borrowed anything. I mostly object to the fee. My eSaver account has plenty of funds but they will not allow me to give an instruction to let them perform a top-up when needed.

Are there other building societies who are more lenient and will do the top-up when I forget to?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK building societies that don't take advantage

Originally Posted by discobay
On occassions I have forgotten to ensure that my Flexaccount has sufficient funds for standing orders. The result is that the standing order doesn't go through. On top of that Nationwide then charge me interest and a fee of GBP30. I can't work out why they would charge me interest as I haven't borrowed anything. I mostly object to the fee. My eSaver account has plenty of funds but they will not allow me to give an instruction to let them perform a top-up when needed.

Are there other building societies who are more lenient and will do the top-up when I forget to?
Ask them for an overdraft, you can do it online.

Far cheaper to pay a bit of interest than £30 fee.

If you are out in Oz not quite sure how you would open a new account anyway.

Regards
Les
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

OK I might try that once their message system works again.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by discobay
OK I might try that once their message system works again.
You may not have to send a message.

Open up your flexaccount online, in left hand box under account number is a list, starts off with statements, payments & transfers then Overdraft.

Click on that and you may have an offer on an overdraft already there, if not there is a box to change limit, you ask for whatever you think will be enough to cover the odd overspend.

They will answer quite quickly and you can always increase once they OK an amount.

Regards
Les
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey I checked and I already have an overdraft facility! I remember setting one up years ago and must have forgotten all about it. Now I hate them more for charging me 30 quid plus interest. Will need to message them to see what they have to say.