Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Builder to Aust (NSW Building Licence)

UK Builder to Aust (NSW Building Licence)

Old Nov 5th 2020, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

MarioCam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Builder to Aust (NSW Building Licence)

Really appreciate if anyone’s had experience in gaining a NSW Building Licence when moving from UK anywhere abroad.

I currently hold a UK NHD in Construction and NVQ level 3 in carpentry and applied for diga to visa with my Australian girlfriend. From NSW Fair Trade site and online I can’t see anyway to have my uni degree contribute to the Australia TAFE qualification or my building experience counted. Also the Trade Recognition provides all charge +$3k just to recognise my carpentry degree.

Massively appreciate if anyone’s gone through this or has any guidance as currently at a dead end. Thanks
Old Dec 15th 2020, 7:58 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Builder to Aust (NSW Building Licence)

I've tried it in Qld. I think it's the same in NSW. Just to be clear you don't need to acquire a builders licence to emigrate.

Basically you have to have two sponsors whom themselves have licences. You also have to take a course which is about two years part time (irrespective of your existing qualifications), but you can do this faster if you want.

At the end of the day it means you have to go and work for someone else for 2-5 years, so that they can say you are competent (if they feel like it).

It's a stupid system, and doesn't (won't) account for the fact that many immigrants are highly skilled and knowledgeable enough to be given a licence when they get off the plane.