British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK to Brisbane - Help / Advice Wanted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-brisbane-help-advice-wanted-339440/)

thepominlaw Nov 25th 2005 11:30 am

UK to Brisbane - Help / Advice Wanted

Hello,

This is the first time I have posted here (although I posted to other immigration groups).

Having decided that we have now had enough of the UK we are looking at making the move to Brisbane late in 2006. However when we started looking into it we feel quite overwhelmed and unsure of just what do and in what order. Not only is it the visas, but shipping , how much money we will need to bring to set ourselves up….etc

Our circumstances are as follow: My wife is an Australian citizen, she came to the UK on a fiancée visa and we have now been married for 6 years. We have one son between us aged 5. I myself am a British citizen, educated up to HND level in Civil Engineering. I have been working in the water industry for 16 years now as a Design Engineer. I have looked into jobs in the water industry in Queensland and so far things look promising (I also have a few old business contacts in Brisbane) but that will be irrelevant if I am not granted a visa.

One area of concern is my high blood pressure (an inherited trait that with treatment it is perfectly normal) we are just concerned that I will fail any medical because of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, contacts etc. Also if anyone has made the move and they feel they could offer some advice that would help a lot.

John

arnie2oz Nov 25th 2005 11:55 am

Re: UK to Brisbane - Help / Advice Wanted

Hi John

Have you checked out the DIMIA website regarding spouse visa's? I haven't heard of a spouse being turned down yet (assuming you have no criminal history!!)

If your health issues are under control I wouldn't worry too much about the medical. You have to have it done anyway and we all worried about it but ended up with the visa.

Not much help I'm afraid, but check out the DIMIA website and go from there ..... you will be pounds lighter at the end of this (sterling that is!) :D

JAJ Nov 25th 2005 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by thepominlaw
Hello,

This is the first time I have posted here (although I posted to other immigration groups).

Having decided that we have now had enough of the UK we are looking at making the move to Brisbane late in 2006. However when we started looking into it we feel quite overwhelmed and unsure of just what do and in what order. Not only is it the visas, but shipping , how much money we will need to bring to set ourselves up….etc

Our circumstances are as follow: My wife is an Australian citizen, she came to the UK on a fiancée visa and we have now been married for 6 years. We have one son between us aged 5. I myself am a British citizen, educated up to HND level in Civil Engineering. I have been working in the water industry for 16 years now as a Design Engineer. I have looked into jobs in the water industry in Queensland and so far things look promising (I also have a few old business contacts in Brisbane) but that will be irrelevant if I am not granted a visa.

One area of concern is my high blood pressure (an inherited trait that with treatment it is perfectly normal) we are just concerned that I will fail any medical because of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, contacts etc. Also if anyone has made the move and they feel they could offer some advice that would help a lot.

John

There's a health waiver available on spouse visas.

Take a look at the visa information on http://www.immi.gov.au and http://www.australia.org.uk . You are expected to apply for and obtain your visa in London before you leave. As you have been together over 2 years and have a child (make sure you evidence how long you've been together), you should get a permanent spouse visa straight away.

Has your son been registered as an Australian citizen by descent?

And speaking of citizenship - has your wife become a British citizen? If not, has she thought about applying for naturalisation before she leaves the UK? (the process is simple).

One further point. Although you don't need to prove your skills to migrate, you may find IEAUST membership useful in Australia. http://www.ieaust.org.au
Is your HND eligible for accreditation under the Sydney Accord?

Jeremy

thepominlaw Nov 28th 2005 12:44 pm

Just a quickie

what would be the minimum amount of money we would be wanting to bring with up to get up and running when we arrive?

Depends on our house sale price but would $40,000 - $50,000 be enough?

Thanks

John

arnie2oz Nov 28th 2005 7:55 pm

Just a quickie

what would be the minimum amount of money we would be wanting to bring with up to get up and running when we arrive?

Depends on our house sale price but would $40,000 - $50,000 be enough?

Thanks

John

Hi John

Do I know you?

Do you know Guinevere?

thepominlaw Nov 29th 2005 12:21 pm

not that i know of, why you ask?

tbarber Dec 13th 2005 9:12 am

Went for Medical a couple of weeks ago and I passed but my wife failed due her anxiety of the medical and failed the Blood Pressure check.(White coat Syndrone).Referred to Cardiologist. We purchased a good home Blood pressure check device and recorded my wifes results about 6 times during the day for the 10 days prior to the Cardiologist.Made a neat form to fill in.Additionally each day we went to our local Pharmicist and had a written check done there. At the Cardiologist he saw all the results, did a quick reading on the echocardiogram and she passed with flying colours. He did not even check her blood pressure.Oz here we come !! Good luck

Hello,

John