Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK boss (IT) whilst in Oz

UK boss (IT) whilst in Oz

Old Sep 16th 2002, 7:42 am
Ping Pom
Thread Starter
ian's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Qld
Posts: 51
ian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK boss (IT) whilst in Oz

Thanks to all.

Originally posted by Jaj:
    >On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:46:38 +0000, ian <[email protected]> wrote: So...final
    >question... Will the UK company paying me have to deduct UK tax (and NI) before I
    >get it, or can they write the tax off as I'm no longer a resident? Don't fancy
    >double tax

If you can convince the Inland Revenue you're not UK resident then your employer may
be able to pay you without deducting tax. Depends on whether you're an employee or
contractor etc.

If they do deduct UK tax you should be able to offset this against Australian tax so
double taxation is avoided.

I suggest getting some professional advice on this.

    >Incidently...anyone got any idea of the costs involved to set up/run a company in
    >Aus (probably a sole trader)..then I can invoice them?

I would get professional advice here too, so that you don't fall foul of Australia's
tax rules (similar to IR35 in the UK) which can affect people working through limited

ian is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.