Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Barclays account

UK Barclays account

Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Shazzy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Barclays account

I still hold a Barclays current account in the uk and want to keep it open for trips back home and pressies from the family. Does anyone know if you can change the address to an Australuan one, or ones it have to in the uk? I saw some old threads on here where people have kept their uk accounts, but I am not sure of the address details. Any information would be appreciated.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:48 pm
faf
Forum Regular

faf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nice
Default Re: UK Barclays account

Originally Posted by Shazzy123
I still hold a Barclays current account in the uk and want to keep it open for trips back home and pressies from the family. Does anyone know if you can change the address to an Australuan one, or ones it have to in the uk? I saw some old threads on here where people have kept their uk accounts, but I am not sure of the address details. Any information would be appreciated.
Hello

Yes you can keep your Barclays account, just give them your new address and sign up for internet banking if you haven't done so already.

I have a Barclays account and i receive statements and correspondence with no problems.

Sara
Old Oct 25th 2012, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Shazzy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Did you change the address while you were in the uk, or from Australa?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

In my experience, changing the address once you are out of the UK is near-impossible. Barclays standard answer is along the lines of "pop into your nearest Barclays branch with identification and proof of address". We managed to change the address after numerous phone calls, letters and (as a last resort) Barclays complaints dept but it was a nightmare of epic proportions. Of course, things may have changed for the better over the last 3 years.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:49 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benhila
In my experience, changing the address once you are out of the UK is near-impossible. Barclays standard answer is along the lines of "pop into your nearest Barclays branch with identification and proof of address". We managed to change the address after numerous phone calls, letters and (as a last resort) Barclays complaints dept but it was a nightmare of epic proportions. Of course, things may have changed for the better over the last 3 years.
You are quite right, changing address after you leave the UK is difficult as they want to see you in person.

Whilst mine was Lloyds, they accepted an 'as from' date. I went in to the branch about 2 weeks before I left and set the date for change as my landing date here.

However, I have changed address since being in Australia. I had to do this by letter but it worked okay.

Funny how I can change my address with my Aussie bank through internet banking.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:59 am
Into the wild

FavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enoughFavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enough

I'am in Oz and I am in the process of updating my Barclays account with my new address. As I could not do it online, I rang them up they told me that I can do that with the telephone banking so I odered a telephone banking passcode. They have now send it to my previous UK address (which is the address that is currently still associated to my barclays account). The tenant should forward my mail soon. Once I receive that passcode, I will finally be able to use the telephone banking facility which allows to update the address. Good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

It may be worth changing the address to a UK address of a relative if possible instead and still get online banking. The reason being is that if you want to order presents etc online MOST of the UK companies will need a card registered in the UK. eg. M&S, Debenhams, Amazon, Next, Moonpig etc. So although you can shop and get items delivered within UK, the card still needs to be registered at a UK address too. If you change it to a Oz address the card is virtually useless for that sole purpose.

We changed ours to Mother in laws, got paperless statements online and the only thing she needs to do really is post our new cards when they arrive at her address. I have also authorised her to be a signatory etc. So if she ever moved or we decided to get it changed to Oz in the end, she can go into a branch and do it.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by FavouriteFlavia
I'am in Oz and I am in the process of updating my Barclays account with my new address. As I could not do it online, I rang them up they told me that I can do that with the telephone banking so I odered a telephone banking passcode. They have now send it to my previous UK address (which is the address that is currently still associated to my barclays account). The tenant should forward my mail soon. Once I receive that passcode, I will finally be able to use the telephone banking facility which allows to update the address. Good luck.
I think you will find thats one of the few things that you cant do online. We only arrived here 10 weeks ago so have fairly recent information (though of course these establishments change things often!). We were told by 2 seperate branches, that should we not be able to "pop into a branch" then to ensure that our signatures were on file before we left UK (apparently not always??!) so that the only way would be to write a letter to our UK branch from Oz, enclosing proof of new address, ie name and utility bill etc?!

In the end we changed it to mother in laws UK address, as we knew we would be ordering presents etc from a Uk website.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:34 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lois1
It may be worth changing the address to a UK address of a relative if possible instead and still get online banking. The reason being is that if you want to order presents etc online MOST of the UK companies will need a card registered in the UK. eg. M&S, Debenhams, Amazon, Next, Moonpig etc. So although you can shop and get items delivered within UK, the card still needs to be registered at a UK address too. If you change it to a Oz address the card is virtually useless for that sole purpose.

We changed ours to Mother in laws, got paperless statements online and the only thing she needs to do really is post our new cards when they arrive at her address. I have also authorised her to be a signatory etc. So if she ever moved or we decided to get it changed to Oz in the end, she can go into a branch and do it.
What you say may be true but, my UK debit card is linked to my Aussie address. Indeed, it needs to be to get stuff sent to that address. I use my UK card for online purchases from the UK (saves the foreign purchase levy), never had a problem ordering anything.

Sorry if this seems picky but just reporting my experiences, I do a lot with amazon UK and USA, no problem at all.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
What you say may be true but, my UK debit card is linked to my Aussie address. Indeed, it needs to be to get stuff sent to that address. I use my UK card for online purchases from the UK (saves the foreign purchase levy), never had a problem ordering anything.

Sorry if this seems picky but just reporting my experiences, I do a lot with amazon UK and USA, no problem at all.
i think its moreso if you want the purchases sent to other addresses in the UK for presents etc, I think Amzaon are one of the exceptions anyway as it tends to post globally, and has the option to "gift" delivery.

I know for sure Next, Debenhams and M&S wont accept an oversears payment card even though they will deliver here, crazy innit! I have a next uk account and next oz account! The Uk ones gets deliverd to a relative who happens to work for a worldwide delivery/shipping company so no p&p!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:45 am
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by Lois1
i think its moreso if you want the purchases sent to other addresses in the UK for presents etc, I think Amzaon are one of the exceptions anyway as it tends to post globally, and has the option to "gift" delivery.

I know for sure Next, Debenhams and M&S wont accept an oversears payment card even though they will deliver here, crazy innit! I have a next uk account and next oz account! The Uk ones gets deliverd to a relative who happens to work for a worldwide delivery/shipping company so no p&p!
With you now. I am in the fortunate position that I don't have to get anything sent to a UK address. So yes, I see your point. Sorry if I confused things.

That said, wouldn't it be nice if all banks and online suppliers followed the same rules!!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
With you now. I am in the fortunate position that I don't have to get anything sent to a UK address. So yes, I see your point. Sorry if I confused things.

That said, wouldn't it be nice if all banks and online suppliers followed the same rules!!
yes definately, but that would make like too simple!

I would be lost without moonpig Uk as i always forget to post the cards in time from here, which has conveniently reminded i have a birthday on 28th.....
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've done it twice now both from abroad. First time when I moved to NZ and then when I moved from NZ to Oz. I believe they required a signed letter from me but I def didn't go into a branch or use a uk address.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, my Barclays visa is registered to my oz address but I have no problems using it online with M&S, Amazon or Next. I did initially have issues with Hallmark but they changed their system and my card with an oz billing address is accepted x
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hmm, my Barclays visa is registered to my oz address but I have no problems using it online with M&S, Amazon or Next. I did initially have issues with Hallmark but they changed their system and my card with an oz billing address is accepted x
Are they sending to your oz address or a UK address?

maybe i have just confused everyone from my experience i have only used my barclays credit card to order things from a UK site to be deivered to a UK address?

When in UK and i was discussing options with Bank Manager i was informed that if i ordered on a uk site with a card registered in oz they would only deliver to registered address and not an alternative UK address (fraud potential maybe?).

Have to say have not ordered anything from a uk site with my uk registered card to be delivered here, maybe they wont do that?

I was only really interested in getting things delivered in uk for birthdays etc. but maybe i was misinformed?? Not that it really makes any difference to my own circumstances.

So i probably have just confused everyone LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.