Which UK bank

Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:56 pm
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice
Default Which UK bank

Hi
If we manage to sell our house . Then we are going to deposit a small amount of money in a uk bank account so that parents etc can deposit birthday /xmas money for the girls and we have some money when we visit.

Which bank would you lot recommend ????
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which UK bank

Originally Posted by hopefullybrisbane
Hi
If we manage to sell our house . Then we are going to deposit a small amount of money in a uk bank account so that parents etc can deposit birthday /xmas money for the girls and we have some money when we visit.

Hi,
I would look for a savings account that would give a reasonable return on the money you leave in the UK. It would be worth shopping around and perhaps having the account as a joint account with someone you can trust in the UK, just in case there are any problems or anything needs signing.
Lisa
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:00 am
ABCDiamond

I have personally kept a UK credit card for that purpose. They can put funds in, in the UK, and you can spend it here. No hassles.

HOWEVER. After years of doing this, and keeping a credit balance on the card, my UK bank has just transferred my credit balance back to a savings account that I also have with them!!

Fortunately I noticed (with internet banking) before I spent it !

Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:19 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful if you want to withdraw via ATM's here in Aus. My wifes Barclays account charge £10 per withdrawl. I have a Nationwide flexaccount and I can take out money for free and get roughly the going exchange rate at the time. People pay in the U.K for kid's birthdays e.t.c and I take it out here.
Not so good for interest but you could have the money somewhere else and transfer it to the flexaccount when you need it, thanks James.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Hi

It shouldn't make a difference since they're all government owned these days....

Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:12 am
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Be careful if you want to withdraw via ATM's here in Aus. My wifes Barclays account charge £10 per withdrawl. I have a Nationwide flexaccount and I can take out money for free and get roughly the going exchange rate at the time. People pay in the U.K for kid's birthdays e.t.c and I take it out here.
Not so good for interest but you could have the money somewhere else and transfer it to the flexaccount when you need it, thanks James.
Thank to all of you for your help. The Nationwide account sounds perfect.

I take it that there is no problem keeping a account in the uk once you have left ?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank to all of you for your help. The Nationwide account sounds perfect.

I take it that there is no problem keeping a account in the uk once you have left ?
No there should be no problems at all just have a u.k address for corespondence even if it's a friends, all the best James
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
No there should be no problems at all just have a u.k address for corespondence even if it's a friends, all the best James
Not necessary if it is an existing bank account, at least for most British banks.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not necessary if it is an existing bank account, at least for most British banks.
Agreed, I have a lloyds and a Nationwide account now registered to my Australian address