Reload this Page >

uk to australian driving licence

uk to australian driving licence

Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

rob heath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk to australian driving licence

hi this is my first post here

im moving to oz with my wife, since i turned 25 deciding that now would probably be a good time (she is australian) in october.i leave the army in september after 10 years, and fancy a full change. i dont plan on joining the oz army i fancy getting into heavy goods transport instead.

in the uk i have the following licences
cat B (car),
cat B+E (car with trailer)
cat C1 (van upto 7.5 tonne),
cat C (lorry over 7.5 tonne rigid),
cat C1+E (lorry upto 7.5 tonne articulated)
cat C+E (lorry over 7.5 tonne articulated)
cat D1 (minibus upto 16 seats i think)
cat D1+E (minibus as above with trailer)

when i change over my licence once ive moved what australian licences will i have and what will it permit me to drive (sizes and weights would be good to know), will i have to retake the HGV medical even though i have to take one to immigrate to oz, and the practical tests also, im presuming i will need to take the theory test again as the road signs are different.

is the PCV licence or coach seperate in oz (cat D uk) or is that included in oz heavy vehicle licence. as i can get that for free before i leave the army but wont bother if not needed.

does anyone also know if dangerous goods (hazmat) is changable or does that need to be retaken im presuming retaken.

thanks for reading
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:22 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk to australian driving licence

Hi there,

Have absolutely no idea but here's the link to Queensland Government Transport website so hopefully you can find something useful.

http://www.qld.gov.au/services_for_q...lic_transport/

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob heath

im moving to oz with my wife, since i turned 25 deciding that now would probably be a good time (she is australian) in october.i leave the army in september after 10 years, and fancy a full change. i dont plan on joining the oz army i fancy getting into heavy goods transport instead.

cat B (car),

when i change over my licence once ive moved what australian licences will i have and what will it permit me to drive (sizes and weights would be good to know), will i have to retake the HGV medical even though i have to take one to immigrate to oz, and the practical tests also, im presuming i will need to take the theory test again as the road signs are different.

is the PCV licence or coach seperate in oz (cat D uk) or is that included in oz heavy vehicle licence. as i can get that for free before i leave the army but wont bother if not needed.

does anyone also know if dangerous goods (hazmat) is changable or does that need to be retaken im presuming retaken.

thanks for reading
Hi

All I know is you have 3 months (or used to) to retake your test.
For a light rigid license in Vic, I had to take same theory test that big trucker types have to take. Once you've passed the theory you just do the practical for the license you want.
That was Vic though and a few years back.
Not much help tho' & doesnt answer your questions so dont know why I've replied really, sorry
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:15 am

gedge has disabled reputation

cat B (car),

thanks for reading
welcome to the forum
i've no experience regarding the licence types you're asking about, you may have to do some research on the web
as you can see Ginny has put up a link specific to Queensland, it's important to note that each state has it's own legislation so it may depend upon where you are planning to go as to the regulations you will need to meet
here are some of the other states' web sites:
www.vicroads.vic.gov.au
www.rta.nsw.gov.au
www.dpi.wa.gov.au
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:38 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for reading
Hi Mate

In WA I changed my UK - Oz licence and WA does NOT recognise C+E. All they would give is an MR licence, which Medium Ridgid!
I tried to argue the point but they had a convertion chart and that is all the licence centre would transfer.

To get the full HGV back (Oz equivelent) I would have to take an HR test (Heavy ridgid) and then move onto Articulated etc.

The reason they gave was 'we' from the UK would not be used to a crash gearbox etc.

Neil.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

cat B (car),

thanks for reading
Rob,
Not got a clue about licences but i have been told that changing them over from UK to Oz licences differs between the diferent terratories, the government websites for the differents areas would help you further

regards
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

going on the quick awnsers (thanks)

Hi there,

Have absolutely no idea but here's the link to Queensland Government Transport website so hopefully you can find something useful.

seen that thanks no awnsers there searching, this found this site though .

next

Hi Mate

In WA I changed my UK - Oz licence and WA does NOT recognise C+E. All they would give is an MR licence, which Medium Ridgid!
I tried to argue the point but they had a convertion chart and that is all the licence centre would transfer.

To get the full HGV back (Oz equivelent) I would have to take an HR test (Heavy ridgid) and then move onto Articulated etc.

The reason they gave was 'we' from the UK would not be used to a crash gearbox etc. (take it most artics are the 60's long noses)

Neil.

lol i took my cat C test in a 1970's something bedford MK mega crash gearbox and nil on power steering i wonder if that may take some lead

still im asking as i dont want to pay for licences i have

my c+E was taken in a fairly modern truck but C+E is all about the length and turning circle, but still
i know all about no exeption if thats the way it is thats the way it is.

if i do retake its no problem to remember when to change gear and double de clutch (for those in the dark you change when it feels right but
when you press the clutch, pop out of gear, lift the clutch, depress the clutch, engage gear, there you go)

im moving to QLD (Brisbane) by the way
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

My brother-in-law has just arrived here and has been told by Queensland Transport he can flip his UK car & motorcycle licence no problem (just complete form and present current UK driving licence), but anything else needs to be re-tested.

HGV (Class HC in Oz) requires a 10 question theory and then about an hour practical.

Gav

More information...

Vehicle Types & Classes: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...s_dec_2004.pdf

International Drivers: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ional_drivers/
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

oh well that's no big un

did the practice questions on a website i found didnt find it too different

depends on the truck now i spose

thanks for the replys

rob heath
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:08 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Hi and G`Day
I moved to oz with a full licence including CAR,HGV,MOTORBIKE, ADVANCED DRIVER LICENCE (FIRE SERVICE) CHEM LICENCE but when i moved to queensland i swapped my UK licence to an OZ car licence and bike but they do not take your uk HGV, you do have to do 25 questions and then a course to re train for their trucks and ways and then a test which costs approx $200 and lasts about one hour, you are better going through a driving company which can do it in a day for around $600/800 including the test fee, every kind of driving needs a different licence here, i have got my tow truck licence here and then you need a smash licence to carry cars on the back of the truck, its all money for the transport office in queensland
all the best
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

i have got my tow truck licence here and then you need a smash licence to carry cars on the back of the truck, its all money for the transport office in queensland

im doing that as a free course before i leave

not much point i suppose now
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:32 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

cat B (car),

thanks for reading
Rob I assume you are going to QLD?

I am in the same boat as you. EX forces with all the licenses. Have looked into this extensively and the best way forward is as follows:

Upon arrival in QLD you can drive commercially on your UK HGV for a period of 3 months. If you hold C+E then you should theoretically be able to get a job driving similar (HC). During that time you will need to book, take and pass a driving theory test and a practical assessment (at your own expense - not too expensive). Once you have passed these you can then get your QLD equivalent licenses, which are:

HGV II (C) - Heavy Rigid or bus
HGV I (C + E) - Heavy Combination

I would recommend booking a couple of days with a driving school in a non synchro truck though to get freshened up with road ranger type gearboxes. A Bedford MK doesnt have a crash gearbox incidentally, just a crap one!

If there are any specifics you need to know either drop me a PM or contact QLD Tpt via telephone (wouldnt bother emailing - you get a different answer from everyone!)
Old Jul 14th 2007, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

A Bedford MK doesnt have a crash gearbox incidentally, just a crap one!

the old bedford RL green goddess does though lol as with the series land rovers and 1 tonneys